Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #2761
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.
nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT2, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It has been there the entire history of the 5.x versions.
IIRC, it was also there on earlier 4.x versions.

It has certainly been there a lot longer than Windows10 has been in release.
Yes, I knew it was visible on 4.x but I never knew that you can access it just fine on 5.x
nicolasmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #2762
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmart View Post
Yes, I knew it was visible on 4.x but I never knew that you can access it just fine on 5.x
OH, I understand now.
Your viewing options must have changed sometime back around Windows7 and stayed changed anytime you updated.
Sneaky.

- - - - -

This is probably something that I should not be posting in public, but I do own a copy of Windows10.
Not something I have any experience with, but I do have it, in fact, I have two Windows10 licenses.
I recently purchased some used equipment that came with it pre-installed.
And it was just as easy to keep as to delete it, so I kept it.

But for me it is a situation similar to having a socially disgraceful deformity that one is embarrassed to mention in public. So lets continue to pretend that I never met that OS.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2017, 02:02 AM   #2763
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.
nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
OH, I understand now.
Your viewing options must have changed sometime back around Windows7 and stayed changed anytime you updated.
Sneaky.

- - - - -

This is probably something that I should not be posting in public, but I do own a copy of Windows10.
Not something I have any experience with, but I do have it, in fact, I have two Windows10 licenses.
I recently purchased some used equipment that came with it pre-installed.
And it was just as easy to keep as to delete it, so I kept it.

But for me it is a situation similar to having a socially disgraceful deformity that one is embarrassed to mention in public. So lets continue to pretend that I never met that OS.
TBH, Windows 10 is a really nice release. I'm participating Windows Insider with the Skip Ahead ring and I really love everything about it. I don't know why everybody hates it. The Threshold release (Builds 10024-10586) was really bad. Yes, I hated it too. But ever since the Anniversary Update (Builds 14393+) everything became way better. Windows 7 is.... not that good. I really loved Windows 8 & 8.1 the way they were - with the Start Screen. But everybody else stayed on Windows 7.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #2764
Kindler72
Kindler72 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Factory Firmware Locactions

Hi

The old links to the original Kindle Firmware no longer work. Where can i obtain them please? In particular i am after: -

factory_KT2_5.6.0_initial firmware:

Thanks.

K
Kindler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #2765
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Ask Google for your file.

Believe me, knc1 has very good reasons to (temporarily) remove them from his private cloud space.

If in doubt whether the download you've found is okay or not, check the MD5 sum linked in posting #1 (the very short archive file "adrive_md5_all.zip")
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #2766
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindler72 View Post
Hi

The old links to the original Kindle Firmware no longer work. Where can i obtain them please? In particular i am after: -

Thanks.

K
Try using this unofficial link

Keep in mind though, if you are running firmware 5.8.8+ you won't be able to downgrade.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #2767
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi

Thanks.

K
Ask Google for the full filename.
It has hundreds of answers.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #2768
Kindler72

Cheers chaps. The bin file link yo gave i cannot open the file. I also cannot see hundreds of links to the file, i did ask Google before i asked the question. I am not an IT expert and only want to be bale to lift some of the file constraints that Amazon place on their hardware.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:50 PM   #2769
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Cheers chaps. The bin file link yo gave i cannot open the file. I also cannot see hundreds of links to the file, i did ask Google before i asked the question. I am not an IT expert and only want to be bale to lift some of the file constraints that Amazon place on their hardware.
Why would you open the file?
It is a binary image file, use it as posted, wherever it is posted.

You obviously are not reading or understanding the directions if you think you have to "open" the file.
That is the initial requirement, to be able to read and understand the directions.
Without that skill you have no reason to be attempting to modify your Kindle.
Save yourself a bunch of future grief, stop trying to do this now.

Last edited by knc1; 10-18-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #2770
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Greetings. What is your primary language? Or here, let me help you.
In Google search engine put your kindle nickname jailbreak file. That will bring up hundreds of websites.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #2771
Kindler72

The file extension is not mentioned until step 8. I did not get to step 8 because the files in your FAQ are not preset with no reference nor edit. I was still "preparing" my Kindle... Maybe an edit in the instructions may help future 'newbies'?

Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:42 PM   #2772
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
The file extension is not mentioned until step 8. I did not get to step 8 because the files in your FAQ are not preset with no reference nor edit. I was still "preparing" my Kindle... Maybe an edit in the instructions may help future 'newbies'?

Thanks again.
Since step 3 is where you do the files, I am confused.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #2773
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

Thanks again.
You have IT experience?
Have you ever used a web browser?

Hover the cursor over the text of the link of interest, copy the actual link and you get something like this:
Code:
https://www.adrive.com/public/4PfzrY/update_KT2_5.6.0_initial.bin/?ai=2g2g4bb
Can you now find the filename that you should search for in that URL?
If not, say so, somebody can highlight it for you.

My access to Google finds 477 instances of that filename in 0.54 seconds.
So just what is it again that is your problem?

Last edited by knc1; 10-18-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:22 AM   #2774
Kindler72

If i can provide some constructive VOC feedback here for you, as a normal non-technical customer if you like.

The instructions have embedded links to other threads. In these other threads it is then not clear which file should be used.
The instructions also use acronyms and file types that you are familiar with but Joe Public may not know - how about providing a glossary?
Links to files that no longer exist, could do with an update, a note to say, "The following files will have to be found else where due to legal reasons", and then kill the links.

Must be a nightmare to keep this stuff updated, so my hat goes off to you sir for sorting.

Cheers

K
Old 10-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #2775
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
If i can provide some constructive VOC feedback here for you, as a normal non-technical customer if you like.

The instructions have embedded links to other threads. In these other threads it is then not clear which file should be used.
The instructions also use acronyms and file types that you are familiar with but Joe Public may not know - how about providing a glossary?
Links to files that no longer exist, could do with an update, a note to say, "The following files will have to be found else where due to legal reasons", and then kill the links.

Must be a nightmare to keep this stuff updated, so my hat goes off to you sir for sorting.

Cheers

K
Just what this site needs, a volunteer.

Currently, there are six models of Kindle devices actively supported by Amazon.
As of the 31st of this month, there will be seven.
(Number to be adjusted by the models Amazon my drop active support on by or at that time.)

Those 6 (or 7) devices might have any one of five (plus/minus a few rare exceptions) firmware versions installed.

None of those combinations can be jail broken (again, with the exception of a few rare instances).

That represents an audience increasing in size (as they are forced to adopt any of the newer firmware versions by OTA updates) that can no longer be in charge of the behavior of their purchased device.

I think that the best way your concerns can be addressed, is to have you do the write-up and interactive support of any newer jail break method that might be developed.

As can be seen in most of my more recent responses, after 15 months of this current one, I am more than just burnt out.
We definitely need a new personality (or personalities - I might have more than one) to take over this communications task.

In addition to the ongoing "war" with Amazon (Amazon behaves as if they believe they continue to own the behavior of a device after the sale and the people active here believe that they own both the device and its behavior after they make the purchase), there are international relation matters to be considered or ignored.

That includes countries where their native language does not have the word or words which express the concept of "collaboration".

Which brings us around to a more direct answer to your question of why the download links changed in their behavior recently.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=26
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=31

Last edited by knc1; 10-19-2017 at 09:34 AM.