Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur
Daephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-600, iPod Touch
heavy-handed moderation

The user HarryT (a mod, I'm assuming) has closed my thread at:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=267849

because "We do not permit MobileRead's forums to be used to ask or give assistance in any way whatsoever with pirated books."

However, the thread asked for no such assistance, and was simply asking for recommendations regarding my fourth eReader purchase. Having just recently become active on this forum again, I had already reviewed the posting guidelines in the sticky, and found NO mention of such a policy whatsoever, and can only assume that HarryT is tremendously fun at parties.

I'd love to inquire about other users' feelings on this topic, preferably after having read my original post. Bonus points if you have a recommendation, because I'm still hoping to purchase another eReader.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Did you ask HarryT for an explanation via a PM?

Maybe the '... creatively-acquired ...' was the trigger Ψ²

BR
Advert
Old 11-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to agree that I too would find the phrase "creatively-aquired" to mean pirated. If that's wrong, I would suggest you explain just what "creatively-aquired" meansif it does not mean what we think it means. If it does, then let the thread die.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #4
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur
Daephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enough

The important part about "creatively acquired" is not whether they are pirated material. I didn't say they were, and refuse to be drawn into a discussion about this. The important part is that I expect a level of freedom with my device-- being able to freely move a variety of formats, non-DRM material, etc should be ideally available. I do not wish to read in a walled garden. I am honestly asking for recommendations that accommodate this experience.

Mobile read has definitely gone downhill since my last visit. If this is what moderation looks like-- heavy handed, overreaching, interpretive, and NOT in step with posted guidelines-- then this community should reexamine their continued participation. I would be sad to see the wealth of information here be jeopardized by what is essentially an abuse of small powers.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur

BetterRed-- I sent this thread to HarryT to make him aware of it, yes.
Advert
Old 11-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Sorry, I would have the same reaction to "creatively acquired" as Harry did. And there has never been any support here for discussions related to, or encouraging in any way, piracy. I am not saying you have pirated books, just that the statement gives the appearance of same.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daephex View Post
The important part about "creatively acquired" is not whether they are pirated material. I didn't say they were, and refuse to be drawn into a discussion about this. The important part is that I expect a level of freedom with my device-- being able to freely move a variety of formats, non-DRM material, etc should be ideally available. I do not wish to read in a walled garden. I am honestly asking for recommendations that accommodate this experience.

Mobile read has definitely gone downhill since my last visit. If this is what moderation looks like-- heavy handed, overreaching, interpretive, and NOT in step with posted guidelines-- then this community should reexamine their continued participation. I would be sad to see the wealth of information here be jeopardized by what is essentially an abuse of small powers.
You don't get it. If there is even a hint of maybe you're asking for help with pirated eBooks it's up to you to say otherwise. It's been like this for a very long time. It's not that MR has gone downhill. It's that you put in something in your post that very well could be referring to pirated eBooks and in that case until you prove otherwise, you'll get no help.

Your refusal to say otherwise is not helping your case. Now if you don't answer if "creatively-aquired" means pirated or not and if not, what does it mean than you'll get no help and nobody will be on your side. The only thing I think that wasn't done that should have been done was to PM you asking that you meant. If you then satisfied things that you aren't talking pirated eBooks then the thread could have been opened and help given.

I even question people who say that have an unusually high number of eBooks in a Calibre library because that does make me think piracy. So if it looks like piracy, smells like piracy, you'd better be able to defend yourself or forget any help.

It's up to you now. The ball is in your court. Either you meant pirated eBooks or you didn't and if no, what did you mean?

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-23-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:06 PM   #8
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur

I am talking about ebooks that were written by alien lifeforms. They look like giant goats, but their prose is like a young Hemingway, if he had six legs. There. Now we're all being ridiculous. Again, I am not asking for assistance with piracy. I am asking for eReader buyer help, for a future purchase.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:12 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I am talking about ebooks that were written by alien lifeforms. They look like giant goats, but their prose is like a young Hemingway, if he had six legs. There. Now we're all being ridiculous. Again, I am not asking for assistance with piracy. I am asking for eReader buyer help, for a future purchase.
Are you asking for help purchasing a Reader for use with pirated eBooks or not? If not, what exactly does "creatively-aquired" mean? If you can answer that last question, the thread can be opened back up and help given. It's that simple.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:13 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I agree creatively acquired left me wondering too. I guessed piracy myself.
Now as to heavy handed moderation. This forum is not heavy handed.

Sorry HarryT is right in this case.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:16 PM   #11
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur

As I said, it refers to ebooks authored by giant alien goat lifeforms. I'm sure if I could just get a simple purchase recommendation for an eReader device on an eReader forum, I would be able to translate their mysterious language.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:16 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
If that were so, why did you feel the need to mention it at all?

My $0.02 -- if I were pirating books, I wouldn't say anything, and just ask people about ereaders which are friendly toward sideloaded books.

Instead you volunteered the information that you wanted to use the recommendations to choose an ererader for reading pirated books...

...and a moderator caught wind of your meaning and closed the thread.

While you could argue that it is heavy-handed to close the thread, preventing people from offering ereader recommendations, merely because he knew how you would use it, I can't really say he had no basis. And I can't really say I wouldn't make the same call -- if that makes me heavy-handed, so be it.
The Forum Guidelines do clearly state that no help will be given to pirates.

I suppose the alternative would be to ban *you* and leave the thread alone.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-23-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:21 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I even question people who say that have an unusually high number of eBooks in a Calibre library because that does make me think piracy. So if it looks like piracy, smells like piracy, you'd better be able to defend yourself or forget any help.
And there's where you are wrong.

As far as the moderators are concerned, "having a large library" is not valid grounds for assuming someone pirates their books.

On the other hand, explicitly mentioning pirated books, is valid grounds for assuming someone pirates their books.

It's called "not jumping to conclusions".
Old 11-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #14
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur

Not to mention that I'm simply asking for assistance with purchasing something, and the idea has been floated that I should perhaps be banned. Thought police nonsense.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #15
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur

And I believe my posts are now being deleted. Wow.
Closed Thread