Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-18-2012, 03:08 AM   #1
starky158
starky158 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Kobo replacing double L words like "Kill,All" with a space

I have a kobo touch firmware 2.0.0

last 2 books (side loaded epub) I have read have every single world with 2 "L's back to back replaced with a space such as.

"He killed the man" = "He Kil ed the man"
"All the food was gone" = "Al the food was gone"
"Men work for a hand full of dollars" = Men work for a hand ful of dol ars"

some books work fine others don't. I also notice it hyphenates words in the middle of a word like

I love apples, but I hate oran-
ges.
starky158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:14 AM   #2
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
your keyword is "ligatures"
Does the same happen with e.g. "tt, fi"?

Last edited by Freeshadow; 08-18-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by starky158 View Post
I have a kobo touch firmware 2.0.0

last 2 books (side loaded epub) I have read have every single world with 2 "L's back to back replaced with a space such as.

"He killed the man" = "He Kil ed the man"
"All the food was gone" = "Al the food was gone"
"Men work for a hand full of dollars" = Men work for a hand ful of dol ars"
What is the source of the epubs? Converting from PDF will frequently do this, as well as problems with other ligatures as mentioned by Freeshadow. Have you looked at the epubs in other ways? The calibre view or Sigil come to mind as good ways to check.

Quote:
some books work fine others don't. I also notice it hyphenates words in the middle of a word like

I love apples, but I hate oran-
ges.
That is a known and well discussed problem with the 2.0.0 firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
On my Glo (firmware 2.1.5) I have noticed the same problem with ligatures, particular "ff" in the word officers, which is displayed as "o icers". This only happens with certain fonts; for example Kobo Nickel (built in) is OK, as is Charis SIL (side-loaded) but other side loaded fonts (e.g., Fontin) display the problem. Charis SIL has over 4000 glyphs in it, many of them ligatures, whereas Fontin only has about 240 glyphs, and I don't think it has any ligatures. So presumably if I could add the correct ligature glyph to the Fontin font, it would be OK too, but I have not been able to work out what the correct glyph is.

Also, strangely if I copy the epub with the ligature off the Glo, unzip it and then open the html with the ligature in it in a text editor (such as Notepad++), I do not see any ligature character, just two normal "f" characters. It is as though the Glo is converting to ligatures on the fly when it renders the epub.
ShellShock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Trust me; this issue pf missing characters in some of the Kobo fonts has been raised numerous times with them; both here and in the beta discussion areas.

Try reading a cookbook where the 1/3 or 1/4 measurements are missing....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Try reading a cookbook where the 1/3 or 1/4 measurements are missing....
Or where they show up as diagonal arrows.
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Thanks for the info. I am using a side loaded epub by the way. I tried adding ligature glyphs to the Fontin font, using the Charis SIL font as a template, but I could not get it to work in Fontin. There is more to this than meets the eye...
ShellShock is online now   Reply With Quote