Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #91
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Audiobooks are another thing that really eat up the GB's.
yes.....
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #92
sbroome
Youngsta
sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Tell me about it. I have a 12TB file server at home which I thought would last me quite a while. Ever since I started collecting Blu-ray, the free space is being depleted quite quickly (25-40GB per disc without recompression). Was supposed to switch to 2TB drives but the flood in Thailand drove HDD prices 2-3 times as high.
I got lucky to be up late working when there was a sale on 2tb Sammy drives almost two years ago. I stocked up.
sbroome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #93
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Ha. My Calibre library is 41 GB. My audio book folder is another 43 GB.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #94
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
12TB? Wow. Geesh, I remember way back when I thought my 1TB NAS was big.....I found out that DVD images and complete system backups can fill that pretty darn quick.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #95
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I remember in 1992, seeing an ad for a 9 gigabyte drive. It cost $3,000. Now you have more storage than that hanging from your keychain for a few dollars. Back in my day, we had 20 megabyte 5.25" full height hard drives, and we liked it!
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #96
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbroome View Post
I got lucky to be up late working when there was a sale on 2tb Sammy drives almost two years ago. I stocked up.
Was that the $60 sale on Newegg? Bought 5 of those at the time (max limit) but I've pretty much used them all for internal local storage/DVR drive for the HTPCs. Was waiting for another sale or HDD price drop for my planned server rebuild (all hot-swap rackmounted case) but then the floods hit.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #97
sbroome
Youngsta
sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Was that the $60 sale on Newegg? Bought 5 of those at the time (max limit) but I've pretty much used them all for internal local storage/DVR drive for the HTPCs. Was waiting for another sale or HDD price drop for my planned server rebuild (all hot-swap rackmounted case) but then the floods hit.
$50 with free shipping. Cheapest I ever saw it.

I buy blu-rays that are worth the improvement in video/audio (use hidef digest ratings mostly) and everything else I just buy and rip the regular DVD. DVD lot listings on ebay used to be a huge boon.

Last edited by sbroome; 03-30-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #98
Krystl
Connoisseur
Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-t1
OK. place me on the "expansion" side of the arguement (and the stylus side, as well).

Of course, I was also the one to wait for a laptop with an e-sata external port and wanted it before it became "semi" mainstream.

In my profession, I have HUGE databases of information and the time saved per esata makes a great difference in effectivity. That is a particular case, I know others who use those ports for additional drives for movies, etc. Do most use it--probably not, is it useless, definitely not.

I have 30 GB of music sorted (yes, it's ALL legal) and regularly used. I enjoy the idea of taking movies on SD cards with me when I travel, etc. and having selection.

Sometimes what I want before I go on vacation is not what I want on a certain night (I'm picky, what can I say ).

For work I have large pdf files that eat up tons of space but I would like to read "on-the-go".

Then there is the huge questions of a) backup, b) privacy and separation and c) wireless connection. I want one device for several tasks.

I do not trust "cloud storage" as it is not mine and I have no control over it. I want my backups with me and able to be applied without using a second device or webprocess. I want to add and take away without erasing from my device permanently.

I don't want others gaining easier access to my libraries than need to be. I don't want to have to be "on grid" to get my information. I am not paranoid--I am private. And that is ok.

I have been burned by roaming costs before and do not want to have to factor that in my thought process. WLAN etc. is usually off on my devices unless I need it.

What I hear here are 2 sides: those who recognize general practical uses and those who personally have no use for them and deduct from that thought that no one else should, either. Give us miniSD just because it IS useful and those who don't need it can just not use it.

As far as I see, the SDcardless are not (much) cheaper than qualitatively equal products with SDcard slots.
Krystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #99
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
$50 with free shipping. Cheapest I ever saw it.

I buy blu-rays that are worth the improvement in video/audio (use hidef digest ratings mostly) and everything else I just buy and rip the regular DVD. DVD lot listings on ebay used to be a huge boon.
Bought an Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on (around $30 on clearance) and bought a ton of HD-DVD movies for $1-2 a pop. Way cheaper than DVD, go figure. For stuff I already own on DVD, I only buy select titles in Blu-ray format (e.g. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc) but for all new purchases, it's Blu-ray for me. I don't really buy a ton of movies but the TV series use up a ton of space.

That said, having the means to increase storage is good so I'm hoping the next Kindle Fires would have expansion slots. Not sure what's the likelihood of that happening given there's a big incentive for Amazon to push folks to their cloud.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #100
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I'd like an SD slot. But almost no matter what comes out, I'm sticking with my 3g Keyboard. It pretty much does what I need it to do.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #101
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
That said, having the means to increase storage is good so I'm hoping the next Kindle Fires would have expansion slots. Not sure what's the likelihood of that happening given there's a big incentive for Amazon to push folks to their cloud.
Of course you are sure, you can admit it. You will feel better
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #102
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystl View Post

What I hear here are 2 sides: those who recognize general practical uses and those who personally have no use for them and deduct from that thought that no one else should, either.
Odd, what I hear is one side who thinks all devices need all the features that THEY personally think are important, and that any manufacturer (despite their success) who is not taking their advice is doesn't know what 'people' want, and that any consumers who buy those devices (no matter how many satisfied millions there are) made a poor choice.
On the other side I see realists who understand different people have different needs. No one is anti-expansion...we're just pro-choice.

Quote:
Give us miniSD just because it IS useful and those who don't need it can just not use it.
Go buy one. There are plenty of devices that have one. Don't make people who can do without it subsidize you.

Quote:
As far as I see, the SDcardless are not (much) cheaper than qualitatively equal products with SDcard slots.
Regardless of your distance vision, it's wrong. Adding hardware adds cost, period. To a lesser degree, maintaining and supporting the additional software features also adds costs, and these costs have been forecast and figured in to the prices you see.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:39 AM   #103
sbroome
Youngsta

Quote:
Bought an Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on (around $30 on clearance) and bought a ton of HD-DVD movies for $1-2 a pop. Way cheaper than DVD, go figure. For stuff I already own on DVD, I only buy select titles in Blu-ray format (e.g. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc) but for all new purchases, it's Blu-ray for me. I don't really buy a ton of movies but the TV series use up a ton of space.

I'll never move over the cloud. I like to buy stuff and own it and be able to access it without internet access. No idea what people see in this cloud stuff.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:59 AM   #104
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
I'll never move over the cloud. I like to buy stuff and own it and be able to access it without internet access. No idea what people see in this cloud stuff.
I know what providers see in "this cloud stuff".

$$$$$$$$$
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:23 AM   #105
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
Then you've either had extraordinary bad luck or their employees were extraordinarily careless. Devices with card slots have been around for years and I've never heard of anyone having to replace "dozens of phones", or any other card slotted device because of "dust ingress"
Oh, OK - so because you've never heard of it, it can't have happened, right??

Quote:
Sorry, I call FUD.
There's no FUD here. Want the whole story? OK, pour a brew and pull up a chair...

I'm going back six or seven years and was working under contract to a large construction company. Company phones were Sony Ericsson. I had a K750i and two K800i rendered unusable in that year - the card slot was protected by a little rubber door/bung that never sealed properly, and regularly just broke clean off; dust and muck would get in there under the keyboard and the little joystick/button would stop working. End of phone.

I and my work colleagues of that time were neither unlucky nor careless, simply working in more hostile environments (construction sites) than most, though the 'sticky' joystick on these SE models was a common problem to many users. As a lowly contract worker I didn't have a fancy 'pen-based' phone (SE P900 I think they were) but the folks who did were always losing their little sticks; OK, maybe they were careless with company phones <shrug> Doesn't mean it didn't happen - feel free to google "Sony Ericsson sticky joystick" or "lost my stylus pen" and see how many hits you get...

Now none of the above is to suggest that there isn't a place for stylus-driven touch-screens (great point made further up re handwritten character-based languages for example) card slots, ports etc.. etc.. but it's certainly not the case that everything pre-2007 was wonderful and working perfectly, then the iPhone came along and ruined it all...

Just sayin'
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote