Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 04:27 AM   #1
darearkin
darearkin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
epub to Mobi utterly ruins formatting, help?

Pretty much the title. I have a title on epub, and wish to toss it to Mobi- but the formatting basically falls off a cliff.

Lines break in the middle as if someone'd run through hitting return at random, lines wrap partially then get broken, and any hint of an indent or spacing is utterly removed.

This is after running the thing through Calibre.

So is there a special trick/program I'm supposed to use, or are some of my books just utterly unreadable?

(And yes. Formatting like this hurts the BRAIN to read.)
darearkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
darearkin

Nevermind. It turns out the Epub file was hard formatted to a certain page size. (No idea why anyone in their right mind would need to do that for an EBOOK, but hey.) and there's no way to correct it. x.x
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
There's always a way. What ebook is it?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
It depends on how much time you want to spend. You might be able to do something in Sigil. Another trick that I know would work would be to convert it to RTF and open it in word. You can use Word's find/replace function to look for special characters and remove line breaks.

You don't say how it was hard formatted. Another choice is to unzip the epub, and edit in notepad++. Find all of the <br> that fit a certain format and remove them.

And there are other ways. It just depends on how adventurous you feel.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
darearkin

As much as I like the book, I think removing all the line breaks might just be too much work. x.x I'll just try and find a better copy.
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by darearkin View Post
As much as I like the book, I think removing all the line breaks might just be too much work. x.x I'll just try and find a better copy.
Is it a book that's in the public domain? If it's a commercial eBook, I'd complain to the publisher.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:52 AM   #7
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Sometimes just deleting the css file in the epub works if there is a formatting problem (just load the epub in sigil, pick the css file on the left and delete it.

There were some books in the library here that had that problem, only epub versions available
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's probably a Fixed Layout ePub like Apple's Fixed Layout or B&N's Digital Replica Plus (DRP) ePubs.

Those, and KF8's ability to render pre-paginated content will probably cause the various existing format-shifting programs to barf on (or butcher) those particular "specialized" formats until more of them can be analyzed and taken into account.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote