Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #706
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
I'm finished with my challenge for the year numbers wise...I wanted to read 50 books, and I've read 54 so far. However, I still need to read 4 more books from the 1001 books to read before you die list, and dispose of all my remaining unread dead tree books (by reading them and selling or donating them, or just donating them if I decide I don't want to read them.)
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #707
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I am the 99%, wait, I mean I have finished 99% of my challenge. Exactly 99% somehow - 19,800 pages out of 20,000, A couple more days should do it, as long as I don't get bogged down by something unexpected which has been happening all too often.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #708
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Not going to reach my goals this year, sadly. Here's hoping for next year.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #709
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Don't be so hasty Quake there is still two months left in 2012 and you may yet make it. Goodreads claims that I am on track to hit my goal however I doubt it. In other news I just finished book number seventy for the year so that puts me within twelve books of my goal. Hope that I make it this year.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #710
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I've finished my quantity challenge, but am only reading the first book on my "Read 5 books from NPR's SF&F list" challenge. Since I do like to read all completed novels in a series at once, I'll have to choose my 4 remaining books carefully!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #711
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
In the next two months I need to read twelve more to make my goal and 12/2 = 6 per month and 6 / 4 = 1.5 per week / 6 = .25, approximately a quarter book per day and I should be able to do that assuming that my average book, which is typically 300 pages long continues to be typical and the amount of time that I have per day to complete that many books and/or pages stays about the same. Assuming that I don't take leave of my senses which tends to happen now and then, like trying to read the encyclopedia Britannica, that's just plain nuts or Marcel Prout's book Things Remembered.

Last edited by jbcohen; 10-24-2012 at 11:15 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #712
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Read playful stuff. 300 pages of Pratchett (Moving Pictures, Pyramids, etc.) goes by like nothing while 270 pages of H.G. Wells (In the Days of the Comet) takes forever.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #713
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
The drought is over! I decided not to wait and have been reading the BDB series since the Friday before last. I just finished Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood #3), and plan to start book 4 tonight.

I'm so happy to be reading again!
I finished Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood #4) last night and will start Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood #5) tonight. With having 24 books to read over the next 9 weeks (equaling approximately 3 books a week) in order to reach my goal, I won't make it.

I'll be satisfied, however, if I finish both the BDB and Percy Jackson series by the end of the year.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #714
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I just finished the Knife of Dreams, book 11 of the Wheel of Time, and in the middle I completed my 20,000 page challenge for the year. I still need to finish books 12 and 13 of the Wheel of Time before January 7 next year, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I will keep reading to figure out what my goal next year should be, right now I am planning on using the average of this year and last, rounded to something convenient.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:46 AM   #715
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I'm now three books away from my twice-increased (from 100 to 120 and then from 120 to 150 books) goal.

I think it's safe to say that I will, more likely than not, make it before mid-November.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:32 AM   #716
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I think my 2013 challenge will be TBR related. Maybe a net decrease in the size of the TBR. I expect that to be quite tricky.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 AM   #717
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I think my 2013 challenge will be TBR related. Maybe a net decrease in the size of the TBR. I expect that to be quite tricky.
Indeed it is. My goal for this year was a net reduction of 80. I've managed a net reduction of only 36 so far, and that includes 21 books I discarded from my TBR as no longer being interested in reading.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #718
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm still not that sure how to even calculate my TBR. How do I count omnibuses? What do I do with books that are sequels to books I don't own yet?

I have two months to work it out.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #719
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Only 55 days left for the 2012 reading challenge. Have we all decided on our challenge(s) for next year?

According to GoodReads: 73 books and 22,222 pages so far in 2012. A very productive year.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #720
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm completely undecided. Despite my abject failure to meet my target this year, I will probably have another go next year. Perhaps I'll try a challenge of something like "to not buy more than 60 ebooks in the year"
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote