Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-28-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
Paranoid
Paranoid began at the beginning.

Device: None
OpenBSD

http://www.openbsd.com/

Just looking aroound in the Linux world.
This OS seems to be designed with security in mind.
Anyone has experience with speed/stability/compatiblity of this OS?
A lot about (hardware) network encryption on that site but it's not clear to me if OpenBSD also does HD encryption.

Paranoid would love some feedback.....
Paranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 05:46 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
It does support HD encryption. It doesn't have geom-gbde that FreeBSD has though. You can

1) use cfs instead: cd /usr/ports/security/cfs/ && make install clean
2) use vnconfig (easier) -> click here for more info

You can even encrypt your swap partition.

Greets
Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2004, 03:12 PM   #3
Paranoid

"Size Limit -- Until OpenBSD 3.0 was patched to exceed it, the maximum usable encrypted virtual filesystem size was about 2.2 GB. Now, although I have not actually verified it myself, I understand that the maximum size is about 8.2 GB, this limit being due to a limitation of mkfs when working through a vnd mounted filesystem."

8.2GB I hope that a joke. I want at least 100GB.....
Besides of that I was hoping for full HD encryption.

-------------
Old 04-30-2004, 02:51 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Paranoid I suggest you dwelve a little bit more into it, then. CFS should support both, greater size and full encryption. You brought up OpenBSD. I suggested earlier that you give FreeBSD with gbde a try.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 01:16 AM   #5
Paranoid

Sure you gave that suggestion Alexander.
But I just stumbled upon OpenBSD accidently and it's sounds/sounded the most secure OS around. Even compared to other Linux/BSD versions.
Second reason of goinf for OpenBSD was that FreeBSD anounced a new release very shortly. (1st May)
Don't worry FreeBSD is certainly not of my list
Advert