Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-31-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
harrythecrayest
harrythecrayest began at the beginning.

Device: mobile
Inline Math equation editing

Hello every, I am a IT staff of a tutorial centre. I wish to know are the any ways to type math equation and symbols without editing html. Thank you very much.
harrythecrayest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Most equation editors (see LibreOffice, MSOffice,etc), allow someone to save an equation as mathml mark-up which can be cut and pasted as text into an xhtml page. I use the equation editor in LibreOffice. It works nicely.

You can also use Latex to generate equations and save them as mathml.

Last edited by KevinH; 05-31-2017 at 08:56 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:41 PM   #3
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Most epub readers won't support mathml (at least for epub2). That said, if the goal is to let people not familiar with html write texts with math, maybe simple markdown with latex-math support would work. Take a look at pandoc. Pandocs markdown allows math equations and can be converted to html, epub, latex and pdf.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:08 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
As mentioned before, support for MathML is scarce. I usually convert the equation to SVG. That way it scales quite well. You can create the equation directly on the codecogs site. If the equations are in Word, you can use my add-in to convert them to SVG or PNG.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Toxaris,
How do you convert MS math to an SVG or PNG? Can it be done on the fly? I have looked at a number of projects that try to convert mathml to svg but these are typically MathJax based javascript routines that are not easy to integrate into Sigil.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 06-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Toxaris,
How do you convert MS math to an SVG or PNG? Can it be done on the fly? I have looked at a number of projects that try to convert mathml to svg but these are typically MathJax based javascript routines that are not easy to integrate into Sigil.

Thanks,

Kevin
I can either extract it from a Word document in the OMath format and convert that to MathML and subsequent to SVG. The SVG can be converted to PNG.
The MathML to SVG code is based on SVGMath I believe it was, which is written in Python. I have converted it to C# for easier integration. However, the current version of my add-in uses a compiled version of SVGMath, but that is going away in the new version. Then I will use my library.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:11 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I'll have to dig up svgmath and see what its capabilities are.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2017, 03:07 PM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I'll have to dig up svgmath and see what its capabilities are.

Thanks!
No problem, if you want to know how to convert from OMath to MathML, let me know.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:45 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I was more thinking of a Preview mode fast inline mathml to svg conversion. Using MathJax can be quite slow (even with MathJax stripped down and condensed to one file as we use it). Since Preview gets constantly updated and reloaded with every change, speed to convert mathml to svg is important when previewing an epub with mathml.

So if a C-version (or python) of the routines in svgmath can be used, it would help prevent lag when using Sigil in Preview to see mathml.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:32 PM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard

The python program is not particularly fast, but perhaps faster than MathJax.