Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #1
Heamjaa
Heamjaa began at the beginning.

Device: None
Illumina XL, Inkbook 8, or Boox I86: eyefriendly?

Greetings everyone,

I'm planning to invest in an 8-inch-or-larger open android eInk e-reader, because of chronic dry eyes, greatly limiting the time I use electronics. I'll be using it for browsing the internet, reading articles, and mirroring my laptop screen; bookstores are a non-issue.

Looking up popular e-readers, the Icarus Illumina XL, Onyx Boox I86, and the InkBook 8 appealed to me the most. However, the Illumina and Inkbook's resolution are quite low, not to speak of the 15 hr battery, and the I86 is a bit costlier than both, and reportedly an ineffective browsing experience.

So, I'd like to know, how friendly are the Illumina and Inkbook on the eyes?

Is it like reading a fast-draft printed paper, or a B&W phone perhaps?

Which would you choose?

Also, please guide me to any other ereader that also meets my criteria; hopefully also wallet-friendly.

Last edited by Heamjaa; 05-05-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Heamjaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
As long as its screen is based on e-ink, any e-reader device should be pure bliss for your eyes.

I recently acquired a Boox i86 via Banggood and have been reading almost a thousand pages worth of pdf documents during the last few weeks. During weekends i spent at times more than 6 hours reading per day, with basically the same absence of eye strain as if reading a normal paper book.

I chose the i86 due to its broad e-book format support, its amazingly excellent resolution, and also because of a remarkable lack of negative reviews. Comparisons with similar 8" ereader devices seemed to mostly favor the i86, too. For me this e-reader is supposed to be a pure book reading device so i didn't ever take browsing capabilities or any tablet like usage in account.

Please note that I may be considered rather being a last-minute-late-adopter who usually does his research home work before spending money. I am very happy with this purchase and definitely got my money's worth.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:17 AM   #3
Heamjaa
Heamjaa began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thank you very much orebmur!
My apologies for the very delayed reply.

I have finally taken it by your word -along with some more research- and ordered a Boox I86 from banggood and it was the last in stock. I am waiting impatiently.

Thank you very much sir!
Heamjaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Does the Boox i86 have usbotg?
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, eyes, icarus, illumina, inkbook