Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
Annette
Annette began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
conversion of library ebooks to work on the Kindle

Does anyone know how to do this? The library has lots of ebooks that I want to download onto my Kindle. Puchasing all the books I want to read is just not in the budget. I'm NOT computer savy so if you have some simple step by step instructions on how to do this I would appreicate it.
Annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Does your library stock mobi format? If so, follow the threads on using Igor's scripts (Developers Corner).

If they only stock secure pdf format (more common), you are out of luck using the Kindle
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I can help you get started then the mores experienced users can jump in. First let me ask if you are using Windows. If you're using a Mac, I'll have to walk away 'cause I don't if Mac people can do this.

Are you using Windows? If so, is it XP or Vista?

Edit: Oops, Boston is right. Your library has to have books available in the mobi format.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Ditto to what Daffy and Boston have given you. And yes, we'll walk you through the process. TallMomof2 has written a great "how to" to get you started using Igorsk scripts KindlePID and KindleFix. (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18310) Start there and then let us know if you run into difficulties. We're glad to help walk you through. I use my library all the time.

cheers
Lee
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:57 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'll have to walk away 'cause I don't if Mac people can do this.
KindlePID and KindleFix run perfectly well on a Mac. As a matter of fact, Mac 10.4 and 10.5 already have python installed and ready to go.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:25 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
KindlePID and KindleFix run perfectly well on a Mac. As a matter of fact, Mac 10.4 and 10.5 already have python installed and ready to go.

BOb
Good to know. I just don't recall ever seeing instructions for Mac users.

Do the mobipearl tools work as well?
Old 11-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Good to know. I just don't recall ever seeing instructions for Mac users.

Do the mobipearl tools work as well?
Yes... but you do have to install a few perl libraries that are not on the Mac by default. However the steps are spelled out right on the mobiperl web site.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:02 AM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I wish my library provided e-books....
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I wish my library provided e-books....
Thanks to pilotbob, I learned that folks in the U.S. can pay $100 to get a library card from the New York Public library. They have lots of Mobi ebooks for downloading. Now turn that upside down .

New York Public Library