Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #16
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Would have been interesting if they offered $30 for converting old Kindle to WSO
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #17
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I want amazon to give me $30 to turn my regular kindle into an ad machine

Oops I saw somebody beat me to it ^^^^

Sorry, mod please delete.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I wonder if there a time limit on this 'upgrade' offer? Or can we assume it's available for the life of the device?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:02 AM   #19
kaibob
Connoisseur
kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Nice article on this:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394197,00.asp

Last edited by kaibob; 10-06-2011 at 02:12 AM.
kaibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:10 AM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibob View Post
We're famous now Jack
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
We're famous now Jack
Sometimes I think about 90 percent of the info we read in blogs about the Kindle comes from MobileRead members. I'm glad this article gave credit to the forum this time.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #22
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Amazon's Special Offers are full-page ad screensavers, plus a small ad that takes up part of the screen while reading.
Tech blog writers are true no nothings.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #23
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I'm hoping the SO turns out to be a good thing for me (haven't gotten my kindle yet). HOPING. I'm not a big purchaser of anything except books and the offers don't seem as good as at the start...but we'll see. I know I can't change my mind after 30 days with the older model; it's kind of cool that they allow that with the K4!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #24
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I wonder if they'll ever do something to allow you to add the offers to non-SO models.
Maybe this is a trial towards cutting their number of models in half. There would only be "special offer" models and people that don't like it can pay $30 to make the ads go away.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #25
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
Why would I pay 30 bucks to get rid of a great deal?
As a non-Kindle person (for now) the Special Offers deal looks to me like there's a small negative (ads below the screensaver) and a large positive (discounted Kindle, many discounts on products carried by Amazon that I'd buy anyway).

My Garmin GPS has some non-intrusive ads but in return I get free real-time traffic - a worthwhile tradeoff.

I see the Kindle Special Offers deal the same way.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #26
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Maybe this is a trial towards cutting their number of models in half. There would only be "special offer" models and people that don't like it can pay $30 to make the ads go away.
I suspect SO is turned On/Off when Amazon staff assign a name and email address to a K4 prior to shipping. That way it is all software controlled and the same hardware can ship as either SO or not SO. That's a pretty smart business model!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
As a non-Kindle person (for now) the Special Offers deal looks to me like there's a small negative (ads below the screensaver) and a large positive (discounted Kindle, many discounts on products carried by Amazon that I'd buy anyway).

My Garmin GPS has some non-intrusive ads but in return I get free real-time traffic - a worthwhile tradeoff.

I see the Kindle Special Offers deal the same way.
The ad is so tiny on the home screen I don't even notice it and I hate Ads and use blockers when I can on my PC. It's a thin strip really not really what I call a standard ad banner and it isn't animated. The screensavers are pretty even though it's an ad they are nice to look at. I don't miss the dead people at all!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #28
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibob View Post
Nice article on this:
I found it misleading:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMag article
Amazon's Special Offers are full-page ad screensavers, plus a small ad that takes up part of the screen while reading.
(relevant misinformation in bold)
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #29
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHex View Post
I found it misleading:

(relevant misinformation in bold)
That seems to be too common these days. People no longer check their facts. Instead they repeat what others say without verifying whether it is true, and they often misquote and/or misunderstand those they are quoting. i use the term "quoting" a bit liberally here, mostly they just repeat what they have heard or read and don't bother to credit the source(s).