Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2016, 08:57 AM   #46
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbp001 View Post
The plugin is still installed en enabled. As far as I know, there is no way to have the plugin enabled, but not turn epubs to kepubs when loading them on the reader. Just looked at the settings and can't find anything that seems to be set wrong. Can it be something in my Calibre settings (not the plugin)?
Yes there is. Customize plugin -> Extended -> Enable Extended Kobo Features. Deselect it and the plugin will not do the kepubification magic.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #47
Cbp001
Cbp001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Yes there is. Customize plugin -> Extended -> Enable Extended Kobo Features. Deselect it and the plugin will not do the kepubification magic.
Thanks for the info! Looked up this setting but is was already selected. Maybe a restart will solve the problem.

It's just that it has worked without a problem for a few years now and after the latest Kobo update it doesn't anymore.
Cbp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #48
Cbp001
Cbp001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Thanks for the info! Looked up this setting but is was already selected. Maybe a restart will solve the problem.

It's just that it has worked without a problem for a few years now and after the latest Kobo update it doesn't anymore.
Deselecting and reselecting the option and restarting Calibre fixed it
Back to reading now
Cbp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #49
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikssenmar867 View Post
Thanks for the answer, but I should wait 1 or 2 weeks before saying it.
Also previous firmware was built to correct battery issues, but it didn't (I've had an Aura One until 16th November, did more tests but battery lasted 5-6 days with 6-7 hours of reading)
That's not the battery issue corrected in 4.1.7729. The bug in the early firmware versions caused the battery to drain from full to shutdown while idle within about 12-15 hours. One of the remaining issues is that the ONE does not sleep properly with the official sleep cover (possibly others as well). This appears to be corrected in 4.2.8110 based on my experience over the weekend with the update.

A thing about 4.1.x is that some ONE owners have needed to perform a factory reset and then immediately install the update in order to correct the severe battery drain problem.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #50
GypsyJon
Enthusiast
GypsyJon began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Book Pro 902
Kobo Update!!

Wow, I got the update yesterday, now my Sleep Cover works!!!

I love it.

Now if there were a better way to sort through my side loaded books.
GypsyJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #51
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
The content of KoboRoot.tgz is the same for all models. The difference is in the content of the upgrade folder. So you would take only the KoboRoot.tgz. Even if you copy everything of the update package to .kobo, it should be safe, since the update mechanism is expected to accept only those files of the upgrade folder that are appropriate for your model. But I would not do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina Schein View Post
Yes it's right. The new firmware for the Aura One already works on our H2O, GloHD and the first Glo.
However, for installation in these models only the archive KoboRoot.tgz can be copied to the hidden directory .kobo.
Thanks to both of you, tshering and Martina.

Now I feel confident enough to upgrade the firmware on my Glo. I'll do it in a day or two and report the outcome.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:29 PM   #52
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The plugin is still installed en enabled. As far as I know, there is no way to have the plugin enabled, but not turn epubs to kepubs when loading them on the reader. Just looked at the settings and can't find anything that seems to be set wrong. Can it be something in my Calibre settings (not the plugin)?
There is an option in the plugin to turn the kepub sending function off. It's the "Enable Extended Kobo Features" option and, if I remember correctly, it is the first option on the last tab of the configuration dialog.

If everything is turned on correctly, then you need to run calibre in debug mode and post the log. Don't post it in this thread, either start another or post it in the extended drivers thread in the calibre forum. From the log, I can probably see what is happening, and the plugins author can as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:03 PM   #53
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
My sleep cover is definitely working better with firmware 4.2.8110. It puts the reader to sleep very reliably now. Battery life seems a little better as well but I need more time to tell for sure.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:34 AM   #54
stanlefor
Connoisseur
stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: kobo touch
Installed 4.2.8110 on my Kobo Aura HD (Mark 4), with copying KoboRoot.tgz only into .kobo directory.

Works like a charme : way faster that the old 3.19.5761 firmware.

Installed frostschutz modification for nightmode (KoboRoot-nightmode-KA1-experiment.zip), and it works too.

Hooah, 1 year I was waiting for a decent firmware, it seams to be this one...
stanlefor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #55
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I just wonder if this firmware might finally, finally, finally fix the light adjust lag that has been plaguing the 6" Aura for nearly two-years. I've stuck with firmware 3.12.1 all this time because it's the last version where that feature actually works correctly.

Edit: I can happily report that the problem has been mostly resolved. The two-finger light adjustment is still not instantaneous like it was in 3.12.1 (why not!), but the response delay is considerably less than it was previously where you had to wait as long as a second or two for the light fade to catch up with your swipe which rendered the feature almost unusable. To put this more simply, you can finally make fine adjustments again without accidentally jumping to maximum/minimum brightness. You have no idea how much that aggravated me.

I think I'll keep this one for a while and see if the slight lag becomes annoying over time. I can always go back to 3.12.1 if it does (I have a copy of it squirreled away on my hard drive specifically for such occasions).

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 12-20-2016 at 11:38 AM.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #56
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
I've found the firmware to be very stable and the battery life is great. Yesterday evening, I started at 91% and read on a treadmill where I have the font set to pretty big so I can see it, this also means I have to turn the page frequently. I read for 50 minutes and the battery was at 85%. Today, 12 hours later, I just checked the battery and it's at 85%. Wi-Fi was never on during this anecdotal test.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #57
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
After updating Calibre is giving me a warning about an unknown firmware version, I suppose a new version of Calibre is just arround the corner?
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #58
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_Re View Post
After updating Calibre is giving me a warning about an unknown firmware version, I suppose a new version of Calibre is just arround the corner?
Yes, the next version of Calibre should support the new database version (given the usual release schedule, on Friday). You can also go into the properties of the KoboTouch driver (Calibre Preferences => Plugins => Device Interface plugins => KoboTouch => customize plugin => Metadata, On Device & Advanced => check Attempt to support newer firmware.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #59
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I wonder if it can now last as long as a Kindle Paperwhite when sleeping. The Kindle easily lasts 2+ months, the Kobo less than 20 days. (Extrapolating percentages, after a few day sleep.)

Did they fix anything with regard to sleep covers? I've tried a few, and some didn't work at all, or were very unreliable. I haven't yet sold my Aura ONE. Maybe I'll give it one more shot.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #60
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I wonder if it can now last as long as a Kindle Paperwhite when sleeping. The Kindle easily lasts 2+ months, the Kobo less than 20 days. (Extrapolating percentages, after a few day sleep.)

Did they fix anything with regard to sleep covers? I've tried a few, and some didn't work at all, or were very unreliable. I haven't yet sold my Aura ONE. Maybe I'll give it one more shot.
Official sleep cover works 100% of the time now. And the battery is better, too. And, oddly enough, page turns also seem more reliable. I haven't had a skipped page since I installed the new firmware, although I am noticing some flashing, especially when starting a new chapter. Upon tapping to turn the page at the end of a chapter, the current page flashes once or twice, then the new page appears. Was a little disconcerting at first, but I appreciate the no-skipped-pages, so I'm ok with it if that's what it has to do.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote