Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 03-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #16
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
If you're going for that type of 2-in-1, I'd recommend something from ASUS. I have one similar to this. It is touchscreen, but you can add a mouse (which is how I use it). ASUS has excellent battery life.

But this seems like a lot to invest if all you want to do with it is play audiobooks.

Could you do something like copy the audio files to a flash drive/SD card, and plug the flash drive/SD card into a little standalone speaker?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Could you do something like copy the audio files to a flash drive/SD card, and plug the flash drive/SD card into a little standalone speaker?
That's true. Now that all OverDrive audiobooks are MP3's and not encumbered by DRM something like this should work to play from either a memory card or a USB stick.

http://www.amazon.com/August-MB300-P.../dp/B0031NF116
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2016, 05:13 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
If you're going for that type of 2-in-1, I'd recommend something from ASUS. I have one similar to this. It is touchscreen, but you can add a mouse (which is how I use it). ASUS has excellent battery life.

But this seems like a lot to invest if all you want to do with it is play audiobooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That's true. Now that all OverDrive audiobooks are MP3's and not encumbered by DRM something like this should work to play from either a memory card or a USB stick.

http://www.amazon.com/August-MB300-P.../dp/B0031NF116
That's an excellent idea, provided the files are numbered correctly; otherwise someone will need to renumber them to avoid playing out of sequence.

Good: 01-02...09-10-11...19-20-21, etc

Bad: 1-10-11-12...19-2-20-21-22...29-3-30-31, etc
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:26 PM   #19
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That's an excellent idea, provided the files are numbered correctly; otherwise someone will need to renumber them to avoid playing out of sequence.

Good: 01-02...09-10-11...19-20-21, etc

Bad: 1-10-11-12...19-2-20-21-22...29-3-30-31, etc
Looks like the Overdrive numbering would be OK--for the library and SYNC Overdrive books I checked, the files are named [BookName]-Part01.mp3, [BookName]-Part02.mp3, etc.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:54 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm going to commit the cardinal sin of recommending something you explicitly didn't want, but have you considered the Amazon Fire 7" tablet? It's only $49.99 and at 7", it isn't as little and fiddly as a cellphone. Navigation isn't difficult, but on the other hand, for something to listen to in bed, it's small and light. It's compatible with OverDrive, and Audible, if you get interested, is already loaded.

Last edited by issybird; 03-24-2016 at 05:59 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2016, 06:04 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Looks like the Overdrive numbering would be OK--for the library and SYNC Overdrive books I checked, the files are named [BookName]-Part01.mp3, [BookName]-Part02.mp3, etc.
Good! It's a pain in the neck when they aren't. Thanks for checking.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #22
juniemarie
Enthusiast
juniemarie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Golly I sure do appreciate you guys putting on your thinking caps to help me out!
issybird I am going right now to check out the fire tablet you spoke of to see if I could handle it.
Tubemonkey,Catlady(I too am a cat lady) & Anemic Oak what you guys are describing sounds too tricky for my old school brain! I need to get away from complexity and go with super easy
juniemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #23
juniemarie
Enthusiast

issybird Wow now were talking as far as price goes you sure can't beat those Fire Tablets
Have you used one? I do see that they are quite a bit bigger than a cell phone but how would they be if I woke up in the middle of the night and need to rewind or fast forward?
Would I be turning on the light and fumbling for my glasses.
I didn't look but do they run on a battery or do you plug them in . I will go back and take a closer look.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:14 PM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniemarie View Post
issybird Wow now were talking as far as price goes you sure can't beat those Fire Tablets
Have you used one? I do see that they are quite a bit bigger than a cell phone but how would they be if I woke up in the middle of the night and need to rewind or fast forward?
Would I be turning on the light and fumbling for my glasses.
I didn't look but do they run on a battery or do you plug them in . I will go back and take a closer look.
I do have two Fire tablets; different sizes but the experience is similar.

You definitely wouldn't need a light as they are backlit, similar to a computer monitor. You can adjust the page size, so you probably won't need to fumble for your glasses, but that's an individual reaction, of course.

The tablets have a battery. I'd suggest that for you, you could charge it during the day and then keep it off the charger at night. There would be more than enough charge to get you through the night.

Finally, you could do all your transactions, such as borrowing from OverDrive or getting books from Audible, on your computer. Then you'd just have to sign into your account on the Fire tablet and download the audiobook. The Fire tablet also will sync with your computer, so you can pick up in bed at the point in the book where you left off with your computer.

ETA: juniemarie, I just wanted to add that a tablet in bed is easy! You can lie on your side or however is comfortable for you and the tablet is light, easy to hold, and lit. It's so much easier than coping with a laptop while you're in bed.

Last edited by issybird; 03-24-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:27 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Finally, you could do all your transactions, such as borrowing from OverDrive or getting books from Audible, on your computer. Then you'd just have to sign into your account on the Fire tablet and download the audiobook. The Fire tablet also will sync with your computer, so you can pick up in bed at the point in the book where you left off with your computer.
Those transactions can also be done on the Fire, bypassing the computer altogether; provided you have Wi-Fi in the home. I mostly use a tablet or phone to borrow library books.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #26
juniemarie
Enthusiast

and easier than copping with a cell phone? My daughter brought over her iPhone and put a book on it and left it overnight and I swear it was the worst experience I have ever had….everything is so tiny!! I would rather carry my big old iMac desktop into the bedroom every night than try that again
But this Fire Tablet looks so big and Im very intrigued by it especially since you have tried one
Im loving that price too!
So I could download audiobooks right from my library overdrive website on to this Fire Tablet…no other steps?
Because I do that all the time on my Mac without any problem….I just don't want to get into any compatibility problems so I want to bypass the Mac altogether
Old 03-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Golly I sure do appreciate you guys putting on your thinking caps to help me out!
issybird I am going right now to check out the fire tablet you spoke of to see if I could handle it.
Tubemonkey,Catlady(I too am a cat lady) & Anemic Oak what you guys are describing sounds too tricky for my old school brain! I need to get away from complexity and go with super easy
You're welcome - let us know what you think of it. Since it's a tablet, you'll be swiping and tapping to play your audiobooks.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:32 PM   #28
juniemarie
Enthusiast

Yes tube monkey I have wifi
Old 03-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Those transactions can also be done on the Fire, bypassing the computer altogether; provided you have Wi-Fi in the home. I mostly use a tablet or phone to borrow library books.
Oh, I know. I was just thinking of what would be easier.

Quote:
and easier than copping with a cell phone? My daughter brought over her iPhone and put a book on it and left it overnight and I swear it was the worst experience I have ever had….everything is so tiny!! I would rather carry my big old iMac desktop into the bedroom every night than try that again
But this Fire Tablet looks so big and Im very intrigued by it especially since you have tried one
So I could download audiobooks right from my library overdrive website on to this Fire Tablet…no other steps?
Because I do that all the time on my Mac without any problem….I just don't want to get into any compatibility problems so I want to bypass the Mac altogether
Yes. You can sign into your OverDrive account right on the tablet and download the book, no other steps.

But you don't have to worry about compatibility problems with the Mac. Your OverDrive account will interface with both the Mac and the tablet, no problem. Your books will show up on both and even keep track of where you left off.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Correct, you can borrow OverDrive (library) audiobooks directly from the OverDrive app on your tablet. No computer needed. But, you need Wi-Fi enabled in your home via a router.

I borrow my audiobooks from a tablet or phone all the time.