Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2016, 05:21 AM   #1
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Firmware 4.0.7523

Aura One and Kobo Aura Edition 2
At present, it will NOT be sent to any of the older devices.

Mark 6
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.0.7523.zip

Patching firmware 4.0.7523
Instructions for patching firmware 4.0.7523

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As you can see, Kobo have released firmware version 4.0.7523. While the Mark 6 package has been released, I am pretty sure it is only being released for the Aura One and possibly the Kobo Aura Edition 2. Something will eventually come to the other devices, but I have no idea when.

From the beta firmware versions, the changes I know about are:
  • Support for the two new devices.
  • Overdrive support. But this is only for the Aura One. I have no knowledge about if this will ever be released on the other devices. Also, I have not seen this in action.
  • The library and syncing has been updated to take advantage of changes on the server.
  • The "Previews" list has been removed.
  • The library "show" filters has been extended. "Purchase", "Previews" and "Imported". These will only show if you have a book in that category. "Imported" books are sideoaded books. I believe there are extra options for books from Overdrive, but I have not seen them.
  • The options to not show the covers and hide non-download books have been removed. They might come back.
  • The French dictionary can now be searched. There was also a change in the French dictionary supplier a onth or so ago. That should already have been sent to devices that have synced.
  • "Date added" sort removed from the collection list.
  • The style of the sliders has been changed.
  • On the home screen, the books are access by pressing "Read" instead of "Library". The menu has "Books", "Collections" and "Articles from Pocket".
  • Changed whatever it was that tripped up the Win10 Anniversary Edition. This isn't that important as MS fixed it as well, but maybe they have just postponed the change.
  • Light popup adjustment steps changed. From 0 to 5%, the steps are 1%. Above this, they are 5%.

To stop a few questions:
  • Nothing has changed with handling PDFs.
  • Nothing has changed with handling ePubs.
  • Nothing has changed with handling kepubs.

Disclaimer: The above is from my testing of the beta firmware. It is based on my notes made during the testing and my memory. Most of my testing is based on how I use the device. I have no doubt I have missed things. If I remember them later, I'll add them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobo View Post
I've noticed in this firmware version using the slider buttons the brightness now is in 5% increments, and below 5% it goes down by 1% at a time like the fine brightness control patch.
Quote:
Adding "swipeBrightness=false" into the "Reading" section of the config file turns off the side-swipe light adjustment.
Quote:
Yes, sickel is back. They increased the timeout (1 minute I think) and improved the detection. During the beta the only sickel triggered reboots I saw were valid. Once they were reported, the offending code was fixed.
Quote:
Calibre version 2.67 has been released today. This includes full support for firmware version 4.0.7523 and the Aura ONE and Aura Edition 2 devices.

Last edited by oren64; 09-16-2016 at 04:44 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:36 AM   #2
luele
Enthusiast
luele began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
any changes?
luele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:43 AM   #3
Cesca
Groupie
Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobos, iPads, Sonys
Did they pull it? I'm getting a "404 Not Found" error.
Cesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:47 AM   #4
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesca View Post
Did they pull it? I'm getting a "404 Not Found" error.
Sorry, I fix the link, try now.

Did you try upgraid the firmware of your Glo HD by syncing?

Last edited by oren64; 09-02-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:57 AM   #5
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I installed the KoboRoot.tgz file only on my Kobo Aura (original). Worked fine. I don't see the Overdrive account settings.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:59 AM   #6
oren64
I need a chapter break

Quote:
I installed the KoboRoot.tgz file only on my Kobo Aura (original). Worked fine. I don't see the Overdrive account settings.

Kobo Aura is Mark 5!

Last edited by oren64; 09-02-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:59 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As you can see, Kobo have released firmware version 4.0.7523. While the Mark 6 package has been released, I am pretty sure it is only being released for the Aura One and possibly the Kobo Aura Edition 2. Something will eventually come to the other devices, but I have no idea when.

From the beta firmware versions, the changes I know about are:
  • Support for the two new devices.
  • Overdrive support. But this is only for the Aura One. I have no knowledge about if this will ever be released on the other devices. Also, I have not seen this in action.
  • The library and syncing has been updated to take advantage of changes on the server.
  • The "Previews" list has been removed.
  • The library "show" filters has been extended. "Purchase", "Previews" and "Imported". These will only show if you have a book in that category. "Imported" books are sideoaded books. I believe there are extra options for books from Overdrive, but I have not seen them.
  • The options to not show the covers and hide non-download books have been removed. They might come back.
  • The French dictionary can now be searched. There was also a change in the French dictionary supplier a onth or so ago. That should already have been sent to devices that have synced.
  • "Date added" sort removed from the collection list.
  • The style of the sliders has been changed.
  • On the home screen, the books are access by pressing "Read" instead of "Library". The menu has "Books", "Collections" and "Articles from Pocket".
  • Changed whatever it was that tripped up the Win10 Anniversary Edition. This isn't that important as MS fixed it as well, but maybe they have just postponed the change.
  • Light popup adjustment steps changed. From 0 to 5%, the steps are 1%. Above this, they are 5%.
  • The finished state of purchased kepubs is synced between devices correctly.

To stop a few questions:
  • Nothing has changed with handling PDFs.
  • Nothing has changed with handling ePubs.
  • Nothing has changed with handling kepubs.

Disclaimer: The above is from my testing of the beta firmware. It is based on my notes made during the testing and my memory. Most of my testing is based on how I use the device. I have no doubt I have missed things. If I remember them later, I'll add them.

Calibre was updated last week to support the Aura One and the Aura Edition 2. But, I was being cautious, I deliberately didn't update the supported firmware version. I did update the supported firmware to 3.20 for this week. I took a guess and got the version number wrong. I will update the version number again, but in the meantime, it is safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firmware version" option in the KoboTouch driver.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-12-2016 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Added finished state is synced correctly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:00 AM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I installed the KoboRoot.tgz file only on my Kobo Aura (original). Worked fine.
You're looking for excuses to buy a new one, are you?

I install it on my H2O but I can easily factory reset / switch SD cards on mine.

With the Aura this is not possible at all so you should not do dangerous experiments with it.

Quote:
I don't see the Overdrive account settings.
I did not expect to see them. I couldn't use overdrive either way so it does not matter at all to me...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:01 AM   #9
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Kobo Aura one is Mark 5!
meh oh well. it seemed to work fine, using the KoboRoot.tgz file only.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:01 AM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
[*]"Date added" sort removed from the collection list.
¡Cachondos! Instead of repairing the option they have removed it.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:05 AM   #11
freekobo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
You're looking for excuses to buy a new one, are you?

I install it on my H2O but I can easily factory reset / switch SD cards on mine.

With the Aura this is not possible at all so you should not do dangerous experiments with it.

I did not expect to see them. I couldn't use overdrive either way so it does not matter at all to me...
I once installed the oldest possible firmware on it, ya know for fun.
It rebooted with a wonky screen. I pressed the reset button and held down the light and it restored fine. IMHO there is little to no risk.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:15 AM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
There's already a Direct Links to Kobo Firmware thread in the Kobo Developer's Corner. To continue this discussion, click here. Thank you.

Thread closed.

On second thought, discuss away.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-02-2016 at 07:45 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:46 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
¡Cachondos! Instead of repairing the option they have removed it.
That was my comment on the beta list when I saw it.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:15 AM   #14
freekobo
Addict

There are some new tables in the SQLite DB of course, OverDriveLibaray and OverDriveCards....wonder what the format is of these...
Old 09-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
There are some new tables in the SQLite DB of course, OverDriveLibaray and OverDriveCards....wonder what the format is of these...
From the table structure, they look to be the details of the Overdrive libraries you use and the cards for them. I don't think it will be anything useful to fiddle with.