Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 04:40 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
He may consider it to be so. I must disagree .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:54 AM   #47
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Don't you wish the BBC would produce some hard SF?

Dr. Who isn't written by scientists, they don't have a scientific consultant as far as I know. Bluntly, it's scientific credibility is non-existent.
I don't begrudge the show its success, and recognise the pleasure it gives it's fans - but it is annoying if 'Dr Who' is regarded by the BBC as fulfilling the need to provide SF drama to its audience.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 06:22 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Don't you wish the BBC would produce some hard SF?
Yes, I certainly do. Their output is not entirely lacking in SF, though. Eg, series like "Survivors" and "Paradox", while not hard SF, are certainly SF and enjoyable.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #49
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
He may consider it to be so. I must disagree .
Well, he does have a magic wand. (Warning: link not to a photo of The Doctor's penis.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #50
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I always considered Dr. Who fantasy, myself... mainly due to their choice of transport/primary story vehicle (Time travel? Uh-huh). Still, there are plenty of other shows whose SF is close enough to fantasy (warp drive, flying through black holes, moons blown out of orbit and into other galaxies, English-speaking human-like aliens on the far side of the galaxy, translation microbes, etc, etc) that allow you to say the same thing about them. And it doesn't make it any less enjoyable, as long as you can suspend your disbelief and just go with it.

I just enjoyed watching "Blink" last week... utterly preposterous, but my wife and I howled all through it!

A-Team? Yeah, I'll go see it. Looks hilarious!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 03:20 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I just enjoyed watching "Blink" last week... utterly preposterous, but my wife and I howled all through it!
"Blink" is one of the best DW stories, IMHO. Superb.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #52
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Blink" is one of the best DW stories, IMHO. Superb.
I prefer Midnight. Blink was to silly sometimes.
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #53
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
I think Dr. Who confuses children about the afterlife. The A-team, on the other hand, is about second chances.
Ah but he died for humanity and rose again for the Easter viewing schedules, did Dr. Who.

I didn't expect to like the new incarnation but thought that he handled the part very well.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #54
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is it just me, or are the Doctors looking younger and younger as they regenerate? How long before we see a Doctor who keeps his Schwinn bike just inside the TARDIS door, and picks his companions according to whether they have valid driver's licences?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #55
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
How long before we see a Doctor who keeps his Schwinn bike just inside the TARDIS door, and picks his companions according to whether they have valid driver's licences?
When a Catholic priest becomes a script writer?
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #56
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I didn't expect to like the new incarnation but thought that he handled the part very well.
For the record, are you referring to Matt Smith? From the commercials, I venture to say that he didn't look like a Doctor to me (again, too young-looking). But that's as much influenced by previous actors, and I expect that feeling to go away in time. I didn't get enough of an impression of his acting from the commercials, of course (or, Thank goodness!).
Old 04-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #57
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I never liked David Tennett that much--too much grimacing and overacting, which is why Blink was my favourite episode, because he only appeared in it briefly at the end. However, what I have seen so far of Matt Smith seems much more promising.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #58
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook Glowlight, Nook Color, Kindle 4, Astak Pocket Pro
Looks like I need to pickup some jelly babies before next week.
kdf9511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #59
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Hm. You, obviously, wouldn't have to recognize extreme rephrases of catch phrases from a show that you are claiming to be familiar with. But even someone who barely even watched the show (I.E., me) heard those phrases 50 thousand times growing up. I'm frankly somewhat suprised that you, the A-Team supporter, not only seem to not be, but apparently take it as a personal offense that i used them as humor.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...cdf8cbbf06dc4f

http://www.google.com/#num=100&hl=en...cdf8cbbf06dc4f

If I inadvertently offended you, it was only because you, apparently, were lying about being an A-Team fan.

(Oh, and stupid crap and Easter go very well together.)
sheesh! you'd take the happy out of a hard on wouldn't you? attack people's posts much?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf9511 View Post
Looks like I need to pickup some jelly babies before next week.
It always amused me that when Tom Baker offered people "Jelly Babies" they were self-evidently not Jelly Babies, but Liquorice Allsorts!