Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #46
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I think the article raised some very legitimate points (e.g. tying someone to a format whilst the war is still raging) as well as some that were completely off-base (e.g. the presumption that an LCD provides a comparable experience to e-ink).

I think the bottom line is: don't get a reading device for anyone who didn't specifically ask for it.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #47
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
I think the article raised some very legitimate points (e.g. tying someone to a format whilst the war is still raging) as well as some that were completely off-base (e.g. the presumption that an LCD provides a comparable experience to e-ink).

I think the bottom line is: don't get a reading device for anyone who didn't specifically ask for it.
That is, of course, reasonable. I would modify it a little, don't get an ereader for anyone who is not an avid reader. But for me the article was just shameless plug for tablets and computers over ereaders. Your valid point was just a little side note. But have you ever taken a laptop to read in bed? How do you hold it, how do you avoid the heat? You might be able to put it down somewhere but that will limit your reading position. Even a tablet will get hot and be a lot heavier than a reader. And there are also the usual screen and battery issues.

And with ereaders sales just starting to go through the roof the comment "everyone who wants one already has one" is nothing short of ridiculous.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #48
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGuy View Post
Elgan's a very bright guy who makes some good points but I've got to tell you I'm really tired of hearing about the Mythical Apple tablet. I also don't find the idea of my e-reader turning into a one box does all device particularly attractive. I like the dedicated nature of the current reader paradigm.
I'm tired of hearing about it as well...but because I want it to finally be announced officially and have the deluge of tablet devices that will likely follow.

I'd prefer a multifunction device as I'm not that big of a reader (just 30-60 minutes a night before reading--not counting work related reading not done on e-readers during the day).

I'd get much more use out of a tablet that I could use for my work reading (do to easy of highlighting and annotating), use as my PDA, surf the web, check e-mail, etc. on top of leisure reading.

But dedicated e-readers have their own appeal, and I see them sticking around for those of you who prefer dedicated devices.

Quote:
That's it in a nutshell. Really with any tech gadget it's better not to buy one for someone unless they want one or you know it's something they need. i.e. a nice Harmony universial remote control for the parents who have a home theater and a ton of remotes lying around etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:24 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
He forgot to mention at the bottom -- this is a paid advertisement by Apple.
I think that's just perfect!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would not mind LCD for reading with on a portable device. But, it has to have good battery life and there isn't such a device yet that can give good enough battery life that uses an LCD screen. So really, an Apple tablet (if it ever was to exist) would not make a good reader.
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I think that's rubbish (overall) too even though it's in favor of readers.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Even if somone asks for a reader, be prepared to maybe have to support said person.

My mother has a reader and she enjoys using it. But if she didn't have me to help support her, she would not be enjoying it.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #53
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would not mind LCD for reading with on a portable device. But, it has to have good battery life and there isn't such a device yet that can give good enough battery life that uses an LCD screen. So really, an Apple tablet (if it ever was to exist) would not make a good reader.
Agreed, though I don't need super long battery life. I could get by with 6-8 hours of battery life during real usage--but even that's probably pushing it--with current lcd touch screen technology and current battery tech. That would get me through most days and I could just charge over night like I do my cell phone every other day or so.

But hopefully things like the PixelQi screens (or other new screens) and advances in battery tech will have tablets more viable in a couple of years in terms of weight, heat output, and battery life. So I don't anticipate having any interest in an apple tablet or any other competing 1st or second generation tablets. I just want some to come out so they can start getting the kinks worked out.

But even then, once their are good tablets out there, I'd readily concede an e-ink device would be best for the avid reader reading hours a day. For those of us who read less and spend more time on other functions (web, video, e-mail etc.) and need good stylus annotation abilities, pda functions etc, tablet devices are more up our alleys.

So it's not an either or proposition. There's plenty of room for all different types of devices that can display e-books to fit everyones need--be it just reading, or having a device that does other things a particular person does more often but also is a decent reader.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 11-30-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #54
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
After pondering all entries in this thread, it occurred to me that buying an ereader as a gift is much like buying a telescope as a gift. If the recipient is not an avid (reader, stargazer) it will gather dust. If the recipient has a budding interest in (reading, stargazing), and you don't get the right one, it will gather dust and perhaps kill or delay the person's interest in ereaders. If the recipient is already an avid (reader, stargazer) you'd better be really, really sure you are getting the one they want or it will gather dust (or maybe be returned).

But most important to all of that, the person giving the gift needs to be an avid (reader, stargazer) in order to have any chance at all of making the right choice.

So while I find the article distasteful, he is right that average Joe non-ereader owner should not, at this time, consider purchasing an ereader as a gift for someone else.

Last edited by eGeezer; 12-01-2009 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Editing out some additional comments that I decided were superfluous, after all.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:31 AM   #55
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
So while I find the article distasteful, he is right that average Joe non-ereader owner should not, at this time, consider purchasing an ereader as a gift for someone else.
That's a really good take on it actually.

The article is really aimed at people who know nothing about e-readers who may be thinking of buying them for someone that know as they're a fairly "hot" and advertised gift this holiday season.

And it's a tough purchase for someone that doesn't know anything about e-readers due to the complexities of having different stores, with different formats, and different DRM schemes etc. etc. regardless of whether the person they're thinking about buying it for is an avid reader or not.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:07 AM   #56
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
That's a really good take on it actually.

The article is really aimed at people who know nothing about e-readers who may be thinking of buying them for someone that know as they're a fairly "hot" and advertised gift this holiday season.

And it's a tough purchase for someone that doesn't know anything about e-readers due to the complexities of having different stores, with different formats, and different DRM schemes etc. etc. regardless of whether the person they're thinking about buying it for is an avid reader or not.
I would think that, before spending at least $200 on a gift, the giver would be sure the recipient wants it.

Although it would make a nice pile of cash when it's returned if they don't.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #57
dmaul1114
Wizard

Depends on the givers income level. Cost of a gift is all relative to the givers wealth.

Someone with a good bit of money, won't think much about $200 as it's pocket change, and may buy someone whatever hot gadget gift that year.

Or they may know the person reads a lot and a reader would be a good gift, and buy them one regardless of income level. But not really no anything about it and get them one the person doesn't want--as they didn't want to ask them and spoil the surprise etc.

So it really is something you only buy if you know exactly which reader a person wants, or if you're very knowledgeable on readers yourself and can make an informed purchase the person will likely pleased with.

I always just ask--people tell me what they want or they get gift cards if I don't know what they want. I don't have more time or patience to spend on this silly gift buying tradition.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #58
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I would think that, before spending at least $200 on a gift, the giver would be sure the recipient wants it.

Although it would make a nice pile of cash when it's returned if they don't.
There are also those who (even in today's economy) are perfectly willing to purchase the latest and (sometimes questionably) greatest tech gadget for friends and family without any knowledge whatsoever.

A shopping trip to Sharper Image comes to mind.

So his warning to be careful is well-intended, but his message seems a little heavy-handed to me. But I would rather see people warned off the technology for a little while, now, rather than put off the technology forever by a premature gift beyond their current interest level.

I am put in mind of the many children with a budding interest in astronomy who were (are) put off, perhaps permanently, by the gift of a telescope from a well-meaning but uninformed relative. They are taken in by the package's blazing "650 power" claim accompanied by close up photos of Jupiter and Saturn, leading one to believe this $200 60mm (2.4") scope is capable of these views.

In reality, with the best quality optics and best seeing conditions, a scope of this size MIGHT be capable of 120 power. With their plastic lenses, they are lucky to exceed Galileo's original 20 power scope, and with worse results than Galileo's primitive glass lenses.

These would be okay for looking at the moon, and perhaps bringing Saturn or Jupiter from tiny dots to larger dots, if only the included tripod wasn't so flimsy that it shakes when an ant walks by.

The comparison isn't precise, of course, because buying an ereader for someone uninterested in the technology isn't going to stop them from reading.

However, it is an example of how willing well-intentioned but uninformed gift-givers are to blindly spend $200.

Last edited by eGeezer; 12-01-2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Add "blindly"
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #59
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
I am put in mind of the many children with a budding interest in astronomy who were (are) put off, perhaps permanently, by the gift of a telescope from a well-meaning but uninformed relative. They are taken in by the package's blazing "650 power" claim accompanied by close up photos of Jupiter and Saturn, leading one to believe this $200 60mm (2.4") scope is capable of these views.

In reality, with the best quality optics and best seeing conditions, a scope of this size MIGHT be capable of 120 power. With their plastic lenses, they are lucky to exceed Galileo's original 20 power scope, and with worse results than Galileo's primitive glass lenses.

These would be okay for looking at the moon, and perhaps bringing Saturn or Jupiter from tiny dots to larger dots, if only the included tripod wasn't so flimsy that it shakes when an ant walks by.

The comparison isn't precise, of course, because buying an ereader for someone uninterested in the technology isn't going to stop them from reading.

However, it is an example of how willing well-intentioned but uninformed gift-givers are to blindly spend $200.
Too true! That's why a 6" Dobsonian is the most recommended telescope for beginners. Not a huge investment, but should be able to provide stunning views! Those department store scopes can kill the love for astronomy than anything.

Back to reading devices. I think the major point is that you will definitely need to know the person very well to know what their requirements are when it comes to a reader. Making an informed decision is always the best option.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #60
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
My first real venture into reading digitally was a tablet PC (an Electrovoya SC200 or SC500, I don't remember) It was a full blown tablet PC that boasted a battery life when new of about 12 hours (when I bought it used, it still was getting 5-6 hours). It was heavy, clunky, and not too good in bed... or was that me? wait, what was I talking about?!? or the tablet PC. While many people will get the iTablet when/if it comes out just because it is Apple, I don't see it as doing very well in the reader department. When I first purchased my PRS505 (I now have a PRS600) I couldn't believe that I got a month out of a charge, not just a day or a few hours of reading! I also kept forgetting I had a digital device and flipped the ereader over thinking I was turning a page! I know some people think different, but until a multipurpose device can last several days/weeks on a charge and be as easy on the eyes as e-ink technology, I don't think they will replace dedicated readers of dedicated devices...
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote