Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #31
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
and then there is this;

3. There are so many other new ways to read e-books
The purpose of e-book readers is to read e-books. But there are so many other ways to do that now. You can read them on mobile phones and on PCs, for example. (Even many Kindle owners these days read most of their books on their iPhones. Amazon gives away free applications for both phones and PCs.) You can borrow e-book readers now from the library. Your loved one may not have an e-book reader, but they have a world of access to e-books.

yes, the iphone app IS there, but seriously!!! Even many Kindle owners these days read most of their books on their iPhones seriously? I think not!
I think a lot of Kindle owners, who also happen to be an ipod or itouch owner do sometimes read on their ipod/itouch. The question remains, how many Kindle owners (a lot who, I think I can safely say, generally are not really interested in gadgets, but just want an electronic device by which they can read books and download books without pc) do actually own an ipod/itouch?

Quote:
and, ok, I'll admit it if this is ignorance on my part, but are there really libraries loaning out ereaders? in this universe?
Actually... Yes.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #32
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I think a lot of Kindle owners, who also happen to be an ipod or itouch owner do sometimes read on their ipod/itouch. The question remains, how many Kindle owners (a lot who, I think I can safely say, generally are not really interested in gadgets, but just want an electronic device by which they can read books and download books without pc) do actually own an ipod/itouch?

Actually... Yes.
I'm not disavowing that books are being read on iphones, I am saying I do not think that it is as common as the author wants us to believe. seriously... if you have both, why would you as a rule read on an iphone rather than your ereader?

as far as libraries loaning out devices, please share with the class how and where this works?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #33
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not disavowing that books are being read on iphones, I am saying I do not think that it is as common as the author wants us to believe. seriously... if you have both, why would you as a rule read on an iphone rather than your ereader?
Me? Yes, but that's because the Kindle is so ugly, I'd not want to be seen with it in public He just messed up a few words.... It shouldn't have been "most of the time" but rather "some times"... See, almost the same but very different!

(edit: oh, as a rule, I read more on my JE100 (LCD) than on my Mini (e-ink))

Quote:
as far as libraries loaning out devices, please share with the class how and where this works?
Rotterdam has two IRex devices which they loan out. Don't ask me how it works, as I've only been in that area about once in my life... (me living all the way up north and I think according to most Rotterdammers, not even in the same country )

Last edited by Sweetpea; 11-30-2009 at 09:31 AM. Reason: small addon
Old 11-30-2009, 09:39 AM   #34
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Me? Yes, but that's because the Kindle is so ugly, I'd not want to be seen with it in public He just messed up a few words.... It shouldn't have been "most of the time" but rather "some times"... See, almost the same but very different!

(edit: oh, as a rule, I read more on my JE100 (LCD) than on my Mini (e-ink))

Rotterdam has two IRex devices which they loan out. Don't ask me how it works, as I've only been in that area about once in my life... (me living all the way up north and I think according to most Rotterdammers, not even in the same country )
you have made no secret at your distaste of the Kindle, and that's fine for you. I think that is a relatively unique position and certainly not one held by Kindle owners.

I am going to hazard a guess that the Rotterdam situation is fairly nonstandard. this guy is writing to an audience that is going to now assume that they can trot on down to the Detroit public library and check out an ereader. once again... willing to stand corrected about common usage that most readers of this particular magazine can expect

edit: the comments at the source are great!

Last edited by kindlekitten; 11-30-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #35
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
you have made no secret at your distaste of the Kindle, and that's fine for you. I think that is a relatively unique position and certainly not one held by Kindle owners.

I am going to hazard a guess that the Rotterdam situation is fairly nonstandard. this guy is writing to an audience that is going to now assume that they can trot on down to the Detroit public library and check out an ereader. once again... willing to stand corrected about common usage that most readers of this particular magazine can expect
If that's the average quality of the articles, I expect they don't expect a lot
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #36
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

it is pretty amazing... and then you think.... wait! this is a magazine that people make decisions based upon! I expect educated comments from a genre magazine such as this! how many other equally ill informed/uninformed writers in other walks of life have I taken advice from hook, line and sinker!?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #37
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
it is pretty amazing... and then you think.... wait! this is a magazine that people make decisions based upon! I expect educated comments from a genre magazine such as this! how many other equally ill informed/uninformed writers in other walks of life have I taken advice from hook, line and sinker!?
This is actually a good example why you should never go by just one article. Always try to find a second or third article, but a completely different author/in a completely different magazine to corroborate what is said.

If I buy something (unless I absolutely want it, just to have it) and there's only one review, I generally dismiss it. Only when there are more and they all point in the same direction, will I believe it. And these days, with the internet, it becomes easier and easier to do just that.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #38
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
I really don't see how anyone can compare current e-ink based technology to an Apple tablet or reading on a computer: isn't NOT having a screen and getting the comfort of reading on paper the main reason the current generation of ereaders were released? Isn't it why there doing well? So why is that silly sod still ranting on the comparative advantages of an Apple tablet?
Again, people on this site by and large are avid readers who read for several hours a day. Such people clearly are going to prefer e-ink for the screen and battery life over a multi function tablet.

For the average joe, who doesn't read nearly as much, and spends much more time goofing online, watching TV, sports, listening to music, playing video games (or some combination thereof) a dedicated e-reader doesn't make much sense. While a tabelt may--though a laptop/netbooks is still better for most. I really want a tablet (to supplement my laptop) for reading and marking up pdfs for work etc., but I do realize they'll likely be niche devices.

Back to point, again, this article is useless for someone who is looking to buy a gift for an avid reader who would likely love an e-reader. It's more a warning to those looking to buy for the person who has everything etc.--as e-readers are on some "hot item" lists. Again, I think it's silly as it's easier to just get such people a gift card.

It just doesn't make a lot of sense to folks here as the membership is full of avid readers and older folks who are more inclined to be wed to e-ink and have lots of friends and family members who are also avid readers etc. Vs. us younger folk who's friends etc. barely read and thus have few (if any) people on our x-mas lists for who an e-reader would be a good gift.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #39
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
This is actually a good example why you should never go by just one article. Always try to find a second or third article, but a completely different author/in a completely different magazine to corroborate what is said.

If I buy something (unless I absolutely want it, just to have it) and there's only one review, I generally dismiss it. Only when there are more and they all point in the same direction, will I believe it. And these days, with the internet, it becomes easier and easier to do just that.
Wise words indeed. However the vast majority takes the printed word as gospel. And it is easy to support a point of view by reading like minded sources. Even with the internet, selective reading is easy.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #40
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
This article is Hogwash!

What a terrible article. This guy completely contradicts himself.

Most people do not get into eBooks because the cost of reading the device is so high. Once that cost is overcome, via a gift, a person is more likely to start reading eBooks regardless of what technology a person is locked into.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:55 PM   #41
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
There are some reasons to get into ebooks, and some reasons to not bother. Any article that's wholly on either side is going to find detractors. I think some of the reasons are a bit stupid in the article myself, and I am also happy to disagree with most of the blind product promotion articles that many folks here are quite enthusiastic about. Average guy/girl is probably not going to take any single article to heart the way people who have already taken stances do.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #42
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
PC Mag has a rebuttal:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2356482,00.asp
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #43
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Great Rebuttal by Lance Ulanoff!

And may I say to Mike Elgan if he happens to lurk this way: I only wish people would give me such lousy presents!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #44
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
huzzah!!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #45
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Elgan's a very bright guy who makes some good points but I've got to tell you I'm really tired of hearing about the Mythical Apple tablet. I also don't find the idea of my e-reader turning into a one box does all device particularly attractive. I like the dedicated nature of the current reader paradigm.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote