Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-25-2023, 04:21 PM   #1
orontee
Connoisseur
orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.

Device: Vivlio Touch HD Plus
How to browse OPDS catalogs using a Pocketbook e-reader?

How do you discover new books to read using your e-reader (not a computer)? I am thinking of books out of the official library.

I was expecting to find an application that support browsing catalogs implementing OPDS.

But I found almost nothing, see for example Awesome OPDS page. Is installing koreader the only option?

Any pointer welcome.

Regards, Matthias

2024-02-23: Thanks to Drummas we recently learnt that there's a native OPDS reader, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...72&postcount=1

Last edited by orontee; 02-23-2024 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Added link to Drummas post
orontee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 03:55 AM   #2
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
I always use KOReader for that function, but I rarely read books from the public domain.

I usually browse GoodReads or LibraryThing to find recommendations similar to other titles I've enjoyed.

I'd love an application that had that functionality though.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-27-2023 at 03:57 AM.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2023, 04:00 AM   #3
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by orontee View Post
Is installing koreader the only option?
There is a free OPDS here:
http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/en/index.html
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 04:36 AM   #4
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The vlasovsoft OPDS app doesn't work for me. I use other apps in the package fine, the file manger, text editor and games etc.

I can add the exact same OPDS details to KOReader and it works, but just get "ERROR!" with vlasovsoft. As ithe source isn't available I can't have a tinker to try and fix.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-27-2023 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-27-2023, 04:53 AM   #5
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
neil_swann80
VlasovSoft sources on bitbucket.org:
https://bitbucket.org/vlasovsoft/free/src/master/
https://bitbucket.org/vlasovsoft/crengine
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2023, 07:58 AM   #6
neil_swann80

Thanks! Whilst I managed to get it working for my preferred catalog (Feedbooks), the vlasovsoft version lacks a search function making the KOReader one superior.

The source may be useful to Matthias though.
Old 10-27-2023, 05:32 PM   #7
orontee
Connoisseur
orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznelson View Post
Did you post the right URL? I only see a chess program there...
Old 10-27-2023, 05:39 PM   #8
orontee
Connoisseur

Thanks for your feedback but I must confess I am lost!

Does https://bitbucket.org/vlasovsoft/free/src/master/Opds/ contains the source of the application you are comparing to Koreader, @neil_swann80?

AFAICT this is an application depending on Qt framework and the PocketBook SDK doesn't provide Qt. I don't understand...

And @kaznelson what is crengine? Is it related to OPDS?

Last edited by orontee; 10-27-2023 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Add one more question
Old 10-28-2023, 12:38 AM   #9
neil_swann80

Quote:
Originally Posted by orontee View Post
Did you post the right URL? I only see a chess program there...
It's a package/suite with a few games and apps. A launcher starts which lets you select the app to start.

You place a launcher.app file and a folder in the applications dir to use the suite. The folder contains a subdirectory called Qt, so I imagine it's incorporated somehow.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-28-2023 at 12:53 AM.

Tags
opds