Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 08-08-2023, 02:56 AM   #1
BHSPitMonkey
BHSPitMonkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Post news2reader - A virtual OPDS server that converts web articles from Pocket and more

Hi all! I recently developed news2reader, an open-source OPDS server that lets you browse links from link aggregators and bookmark services (currently just Hacker News and Pocket) in compatible reading devices/apps (such as KOReader).

Web articles fetched from the catalog are automatically converted into clutter-free, readable EPUB content (using the same implementation that powers Reader View in Firefox). Direct links to PDF/EPUB files are downloaded as-is, without any conversion.

It isn't perfect, but it meets my needs quite well and I wanted to share it in case others find it useful too! It's MIT licensed and can be run using either Node (v18 or higher) or Docker (images are available for x86 and ARM, so you can run it natively on a Raspberry Pi / Synology / etc.). Instructions and screenshots are in the README, and I'll try to copy a few images as thumbnails/attachments below.

Happy to answer questions or accept contributions with enhancements!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	92
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	203035   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Views:	88
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	203036   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.png
Views:	83
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	203037   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.png
Views:	81
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	203038   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.png
Views:	81
Size:	369.9 KB
ID:	203039  
BHSPitMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 04:53 AM   #2
Jiyu09
Jiyu09 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
Wow so I can get my saved articles from https://getpocket.com/saves to koreader. This is the only feature I missed as it's supported by kobo natively but not koreader. I will definitely give it a try!
Jiyu09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 04:35 PM   #3
Jiyu09
Jiyu09 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
It works on my synology! Brilliant work! I'm delighted to find it and surprised there's no reply before.

The only tiny issue is, every time I need to go back to the main screen and search icon and click OPDS catalog / my personal pocket / Pocket / Unread Items, then download a page and read. Is there any easier way to access the list? But so far I have no more complain, great job! Cheers!
Jiyu09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 12:27 AM   #4
BHSPitMonkey
BHSPitMonkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thanks!

From any of the sub-menus (e.g. Unread Items), I think you can tap the "+" button in the upper-left corner and add a direct shortcut to that page in the OPDS Catalog list. I don't think there's a way around needing to come back via the "Search > OPDS Catalog" presses though. I like to download multiple articles I'd like to read, and then go read all of them so I don't have to go back through the menus every time.
BHSPitMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
articles, koreader, opds, opds catalog, pocket