Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-03-2020, 10:26 AM   #1
philprofessor
philprofessor began at the beginning.

Device: Max Lumi
Onyx Boox Max Lumi Stylus Issues

Hi all,

New to the forum, so forgive me if this has been extensively addressed elsewhere.

I've recently acquired a Boox Max lumi, largely for editing PDFs of academic journal articles. In the typical case, I use split screen mode with the notes off to the right. In doing this, I've encountered three issues.

1. Toward the bottom right of the screen, the stylus calibration goes about 1 mm off. This makes it very difficult to write. I've not only re-calibrated and changed nibs, but also re-calibrated using the method where you trace a line to the target and release in the center, rather than pointing and tapping. Anyone manage to fix this issue?

2. When annotating PDFs, especially in split screen mode but also outside it, the stylus will occasionally highlight text or change the page. This is annoying, because what I basically want to do is use the PDF as if it were a piece of paper. (I make occasional use of the highlight function, but mostly want to write directly on the PDF.) Is there any way to tell the stylus to restrict itself to writing only?

3. Sometimes my handwritten annotations simply disappear. I'll write them and they'll just disappear. I find myself having to write certain marginal notes 2-3 times before they show up. Problem 2. only makes this worse.

Have others encountered similar issues? Could I have a defective unit? Are there clear workarounds? Thanks in advance!
philprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:32 PM   #2
adrians
Enthusiast
adrians doesn't litteradrians doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Do you keep the Lumi in a case with any magnets in it? These can disturb inking.
adrians is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #3
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I recently asked about stylus and so far learned two things. The Staedler (sp?) is considered quite good. And there's a thread with a lot of stylus discussion https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ght=stylus+tip

Good luck with your research and solution.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
philprofessor
philprofessor began at the beginning.

Device: Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrians View Post
Do you keep the Lumi in a case with any magnets in it? These can disturb inking.
Yes! I tested this. Rotating the screen such that the magnets are on the top rather than the bottom fixes the first issue (awful seeming calibration).

As for the other issues, no fix yet. Thanks for responding!
philprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote