Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #1
Millimole
Millimole began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen
Poke2 Android apps - results so far!

I've had my Onyx Boox Poke2 for a few days and I thought it might be helpful to have a thread where I can record what Android apps are working or not, and where other people can add their constructive comments and results.

First the good:
Launcher - Simple Ink Launcher : I had to find this and download the APK from the developer, but it has made the interface so much nicer.

Browser - Brave : I chose this for the ad blocking, but am open to other suggestions. I'm sure there's a 'reader view' in Brave but I can't find it! I've not tried the inbuilt browser.

email : gmail app - it just works

calendar : the stock calendar linked to my google account and works good enough for me.

App stores : Google Play, fDroid and the Amazon App Store all loaded fine and were perfectly usable.

Library : my UK local library uses Borrowbox which works OK, also they ginve me access to PressReader and RBDigital - these seem to work but I've not given them a full workout.

File Transfer : I've loaded pCloud which works well for me

Book Readers (non-Kindle) : I'm using Moon+ Reader Pro and am very happy with it. I can transfer books from pCloud using WebDav which works well. Straightfoward PDFs have rendered well in the stock eReader and in Moon+
Google Play Books seems to work well, but it's not had a full test drive yet.

Notes : Carnet notes which has a Google Keep (see below) look & feel. Carnet is sometimes a bit slow to load on all platforms.

Other : Hermit Lite Apps - this allows access to a variety of web sites through apps within this app. (It's a glorified bookmarking app, but I like it!)

The less than good:
Kindle app - there is a well documented bug with Boox devices which require a change to the refresh rate in the app to prevent a strange page turning issue. Initially this workaround didn't work for me, so I ended up doing the uninstall/reinstall dance, and at the moment it's OK.

Google Keep - it initially looks fine. Then, when you try to open a note - it's gone tiny! You can't open Google Keep notes. Carnet Notes is my solution.

Calibre Companion - I can't get this to work on the Poke 2 but I'm pretty sure it's not the fault of the Poke2. I have Calibre in a Linux shell on my Chromebook and it doesn't seem to want to play with the Wifi side of things. This is not a priority for me, and I'm not going t lose any hair over it. Uninstalled.

For the future
I might try a different keyboard - the stock Android keyboard is adequate but no more. gBoard or SwiftKeys maybe.
If memory permits I might look at a different Icon set, but this is icing on an already splendid cake.
I have confidence that just about any Android app will work on the Poke2.
Millimole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
dkccerbero
Connoisseur
dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Note2
Very interesting post. Which version of simple launcher did yoy find?
I also use brave (on note2) is really cool. Im considering trying Opera.
For mail, I use brave also, work ok and is one less app to use ram.
Also Fdroid and Gplay. Always first try fdroid.
For file transfer, Zarchiver (That also supports zip files)

Plus: i have catalogued my books with this app, is very lightweight, offline and simple
dkccerbero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2020, 04:58 AM   #3
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Device: Current Favorite: Boox Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimole View Post
The less than good:
Calibre Companion - I can't get this to work on the Poke 2 but I'm pretty sure it's not the fault of the Poke2. I have Calibre in a Linux shell on my Chromebook and it doesn't seem to want to play with the Wifi side of things. This is not a priority for me, and I'm not going t lose any hair over it. Uninstalled.

I have confidence that just about any Android app will work on the Poke2.
Calibre Companion works fine on my Poke2. It was one of the first apps I installed, along with Moon+
kndlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:01 AM   #4
Millimole
Millimole began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen
I used v 1.2 (non-ics) from https://bitbucket.org/dsimbiriatin/s...her/downloads/
I had it previously on my Inkbook and was impressed.
Thanks for the Mirko Books Library app - I'll take a good look at that.

I've also put the Kobo books app on - and, yes, that works too.
Millimole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:18 AM   #5
dkccerbero
Connoisseur
dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimole View Post
I used v 1.2 (non-ics) from https://bitbucket.org/dsimbiriatin/s...her/downloads/
I had it previously on my Inkbook and was impressed.
Thanks for the Mirko Books Library app - I'll take a good look at that.

I've also put the Kobo books app on - and, yes, that works too.
Thanks for the info!😷👍
dkccerbero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
RT Wolf
RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Looking for the right android e-ink tablet
OneNote is my preferred note-taking app and works reasonably well on the Poke2. I Share from Moon+ any snippets I think are interesting, which sync automatically to the other platforms' native OneNote apps or web app. It's more like my second brain, actually. Strong recommend.
RT Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote