Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Apps under Open With on long press in Library

I have installed, uninstalled and reinstalled various reading apps on a Nova Pro. The trouble is, some reading apps don't show up on the Open With list of apps when I do a long press on a book in the Library. They showed up before, then I uninstall and reinstall and they no longer appear. Is there a way to edit the apps listed under Open With?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:39 AM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I have installed, uninstalled and reinstalled various reading apps on a Nova Pro. The trouble is, some reading apps don't show up on the Open With list of apps when I do a long press on a book in the Library. They showed up before, then I uninstall and reinstall and they no longer appear. Is there a way to edit the apps listed under Open With?
Maybe the list of apps is (re)done once at boot. Have you tried to turn your ereader off and on again? (force-closing the launcher and starting it again should work too, if that's possible)
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I've done that. No change. Currently when on long click in

1. the Library, it shows just neoreader
2. the storage folder view, neoreader and alreader.

So the open with options are inconsistent between storage and library.

I previously had this problem with Koreader in Library view (Koreader disappeared after I uninstalled and reinstalled it.)

Edit:

I just installed Alreader on another Onyx Nova and Alreader shows in Storage and Library Open with options.

The Open with behavior seems unpredictable and inconsistent in general. Which is inconvenient as the Onyx Library is the default and dominant interface, and appears not to work well when wanting to switch between reading apps. I may ultimately install a different file explorer, or a even a different launcher. But if you are invested in the main Library view and use more than one app, uninstall and reinstall at your peril.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 09-06-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #4
joandr
Enthusiast
joandr began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars, Onyx Boox Nova, EnergyReader ProHD (Boyue)
Yes you are right, same observation for me on Nova & Mars with AlreaderX. The solution that works well : install Explorer from Speed Software (on Google Play), the option "Open with" works perfectly it shows AlreaderX (and all the apps) and you can check "always perform the selected action for this type of file" so next time it remains the same in the Library view.
joandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #5
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
The problem that I see with self-backed apps that Onyx make is that they're not following standards (and whichever they choose works worse than the common way of doing things on android)

Speed Software FMs (explorer and root explorer) show how most apps should work. They use methods as showcased in android basic samples: https://developer.android.com/traini...#StartActivity

Other software, like CC, build their own file picker, but work as intended as they're still relying on PackageManager and intent features.

What Onyx does could be whatever. They did broke most guidelines (physical back button instead of home, custom key mapping...) and I have a few reports they're not using intents/startActivity on a few things (namely to start dictionary app when you query a definition).

A good way to discover if intents are used at all is to install Intent Intercept from Fdroid, enable it and see what happens when you long press a book on your library.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard

Thank you for your insights. I think I may eventually overhaul the whole way I navigate and open books on the Onyx.

@joandr
I am using Alreader, not AlreaderX. Are you familar with Alreader? Can you tell me the differences between Alreader and AlreaderX? I'm not sure if I should upgrade.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:42 PM   #7
joandr
Enthusiast
joandr began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars, Onyx Boox Nova, EnergyReader ProHD (Boyue)
@Pajamaman.
I used Alreader several years ago on a smartphone, I then abandoned it (for Moon) on the e-readers because the "Chapters x" was framed on the left as well as the first page (the one with Title), to center them I must check "use the internal style of the ebook" but then the displayed font was not the one chosen on my e-reader. (I try to remenber but it's a bit old). I hope to be clear English is not my language (french). AlreaderX corrects all that : the fist page is well centered, the "Chapters x" too, the menus are simpler and clearer. there is a setting for eink. I found it so good that I gave up Moon bought 4 years ago. Try it, it's worth it. It's a free beta but with no problems, AlR X is much better than AlR.

Last edited by joandr; 09-07-2020 at 05:16 PM.
joandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard

I didn't experience your problems with Alreader, but I'll try AlreaderX. Thx.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #9
Pajamaman
Wizard

Brief update: The library was offering the Alreader option, but suddenly stopped listing it. Nothing changed, it just vanished...

I'm now going to start looking for other ways to search and browse books. I have es browser but it doesn't look good on e-ink. I'll try Explorer next.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:41 PM   #10
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
For epub I do not use the built-in library or the NeoReader, but Caliber Companion and the AlReader.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard

Yes, CC occurred to me.

I will make a decision about the best way to organize books.

I will either find a simple, elegant explorer type solution with a good Search function, or restructure my messy folder structure, or go with a dedicated book organizer like CC.

But the Onyx library is dead to me. It's very poor and very buggy, not at all suited to large collections and doesn't accommodate multiple readers.

I might even say to hell with the Onyx UI and install Relaunchx.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 09-15-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard

Solved this. Appps that are frozen do not appear under open with. Unfreeze them via the snowflake icon in the app screen.

No idea why my apps freeze without my volition. But there it is.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:06 PM   #13
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
No idea why my apps freeze without my volition. But there it is.
It may be a battery/RAM saving or a security feature. It happens on my Hisense A5 phone, too.

On your Onyx device, if you go to Settings and the select Applications, you will discover the option "Freeze the third-party Apps in the background by default".

I have left that option unchecked and none of my seldom used apps seem to be frozen so you may want to see if that box is checked or unchecked on your device.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:53 PM   #14
Pajamaman
Wizard

Yes, it was checked. Thx for your input.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #15
Pajamaman
Wizard

A further point about the Onyx library feature. When one does a search, the search results offer no open_with option. So if you have a large number of books, and wish to use an alternate reader, the library becomes useless.