Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-29-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
K4NT upgrade to Oasis - Collections

I am taking advantage of the trade in at Amazon to get rid of 2 k4nt's and a ktouch. Plan on buying an Oasis.

My current k4nt has about 30 collections and 150 books. What is going to be the easiest way to transfer all that info to the Oasis? It is all sideloaded content from Calibre [2.81 and win10].

If there is no easy way, it won't be a big deal to manually load them up and create the collections again. Just figured I'd see if there WAS any easy way. Also, if this is more of a calibre question than a kindle question, would a mod move it?

Thanks.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:12 PM   #2
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Those older kindles don't have the cloud collections yet so they wont transfer. You'll have to make collections again which will then be in the cloud for future devices. You can also manage those online now in your account.

So you can sideload all your sideloaded books, and then make them into collections. Might want to make a note of what you got in collections now and which one.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2017, 09:16 PM   #3
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Those older kindles don't have the cloud collections yet so they wont transfer. You'll have to make collections again which will then be in the cloud for future devices. You can also manage those online now in your account.

So you can sideload all your sideloaded books, and then make them into collections. Might want to make a note of what you got in collections now and which one.
Thanks.

Can I create the collections at amazon.com ahead of time and then my new oasis automatically use them? Or do I have to create the collections ON the oasis once I receive it? I feel like I'm making a large leap here, and not sure of what all the new "stuff" is capable of

Edit:
Just went poking around Amazon and found the collections thingy. Guess I'll start creating them now!

Last edited by Ravensknight; 05-29-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yeah, the cloud collections are much easier to work with, especially now that we can work them on the website. Just give your new Oasis a bit time to sync them up and sometimes something might not stick in a collection. But overall I find they work quite well for me.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:33 AM   #5
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
yeah, the cloud collections are much easier to work with, especially now that we can work them on the website. Just give your new Oasis a bit time to sync them up and sometimes something might not stick in a collection. But overall I find they work quite well for me.
Now that I disagree with. If you have a lot of books managing collections at manage your content & devices is a real pain. That web site is very slow both to scroll down the list and to go to the next page. You scroll a line or 3, then have to wait a minute before it will respond and let you scroll further, no way to jump ahead you have to scroll (slowly) to the bottom of the page then go to the next page. After so many pages ( I forget maybe 200 or 300) you come to a point where you have to click on "more" to continue further then wait for those to load. No way to jump directly to that point. I've NEVER seen such a buggy, slow web design. The best you can say is that once it's done if at the website you sort by newest the new books you need to add to collections will all be at the top and you can avoid all the excruciatingly slow scrolling.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2017, 07:03 AM   #6
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Now that I disagree with. If you have a lot of books managing collections at manage your content & devices is a real pain. That web site is very slow both to scroll down the list and to go to the next page. You scroll a line or 3, then have to wait a minute before it will respond and let you scroll further, no way to jump ahead you have to scroll (slowly) to the bottom of the page then go to the next page. After so many pages ( I forget maybe 200 or 300) you come to a point where you have to click on "more" to continue further then wait for those to load. No way to jump directly to that point. I've NEVER seen such a buggy, slow web design. The best you can say is that once it's done if at the website you sort by newest the new books you need to add to collections will all be at the top and you can avoid all the excruciatingly slow scrolling.
But with only 30'ish, it wasn't a problem for me. It was much easier to create the collection at .com typing with my keyboard than trying to use the onscreen keyboard. My next adventure will be to see if I can delete collections once I'm done with them.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:41 AM   #7
Atunah
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I agree, the website itself and how they now list the books is horrible. I don't like the infinity scroll. But we couldn't even see collections online before. When in the collection view, its not as many pages.
I have 47 collections and over 3000 books, so I know what a pain it can be at times. I try not to have to go much in the book view, going down to certain time points. The collection view is fine. What I try to do is add anything new to collections fairly often, so I don't have to go past the first page. Once they are in collections, they are easier to find. Once I read the book I manage its collections from my kindle though. The last collection it goes into in its life span is "read". I have 2 "read" collections as my first got too large. I read a lot.

But yeah, that scrolling is excruciating. I remember when it was actual paging, not this infinity stuff. At least then one could just click on a next page.
In those days I did a lot of pruning, which required to do through every single page. I don't do that anymore now. Unless I come across something by accident, I am not torturing myself with that scroll again. I have a collection I call "black hole". Those are the books I am not sure if i need to keep or just delete all together. That narrows it down, now that everything is in its proper collections.

I can't even imagine those folks that have like 10000 or more books.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I agree, the website itself and how they now list the books is horrible. I don't like the infinity scroll. But we couldn't even see collections online before. When in the collection view, its not as many pages.
I have 47 collections and over 3000 books, so I know what a pain it can be at times. I try not to have to go much in the book view, going down to certain time points. The collection view is fine. What I try to do is add anything new to collections fairly often, so I don't have to go past the first page. Once they are in collections, they are easier to find. Once I read the book I manage its collections from my kindle though. The last collection it goes into in its life span is "read". I have 2 "read" collections as my first got too large. I read a lot.

But yeah, that scrolling is excruciating. I remember when it was actual paging, not this infinity stuff. At least then one could just click on a next page.
In those days I did a lot of pruning, which required to do through every single page. I don't do that anymore now. Unless I come across something by accident, I am not torturing myself with that scroll again. I have a collection I call "black hole". Those are the books I am not sure if i need to keep or just delete all together. That narrows it down, now that everything is in its proper collections.

One just gives up on doing anything with the older books. They also put in a complaint with Amazon. Not that the second part helped.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:02 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I wouldn't even bother. With 12,292 titles in mine I find doing anything other than searching for a specific book or author to be a pain. I started scrolling through things the other day checking for books with updates, since they don't always email you when a title gets an update, and gave up after scrolling through hundreds of books. I wish there was still a way to sort by just books with updates like there was with the old MYK page.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #10
Atunah
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I wouldn't even bother. With 12,292 titles in mine I find doing anything other than searching for a specific book or author to be a pain. I started scrolling through things the other day checking for books with updates, since they don't always email you when a title gets an update, and gave up after scrolling through hundreds of books. I wish there was still a way to sort by just books with updates like there was with the old MYK page.
Yes, the old one that had just regular pages also had that in the drop down. Updates. I don't bother with them anymore. I have the auto update turned off once I had bad experiences with "publishers". I guess at this point I expect the books to be properly done and formatted and edited. I'll read the copy I have and my reviews will be according to that.

They really ruined it though completely with the infinity scroll. Not that it was great before, but at least it had some of the stuff that is gone now.
Its why I am glad I finished my purging mostly before the change and now they are all in one or the other collections. So I can go by collections now and decide. Its more fragmented and less long to go through.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:07 PM   #11
genoasalami
Connoisseur
genoasalami began at the beginning.

Device: KK3G, PW, Voyage, Oasis, Aura One, Forma
Recognizing that this is somewhat non-responsive, you don't really want an Oasis. I strongly suggest you save the money and get a Voyage. I have both and I much prefer my Voyage. The lighting on the Oasis at anything above 40-50% is extremely uneven and distracting. I returned my first device and got a second one that was worse. I then had to fight with them to let me keep the first one. Many people, here and elsewhere, have reported similar problems.

I still have my Voyage. It's great. The screen is near-perfect, the lighting is much more uniform than the Oasis (because it comes from the bottom, not the sides). It was also $90 less (albeit before buying the cover).
genoasalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:27 PM   #12
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoasalami View Post
Recognizing that this is somewhat non-responsive, you don't really want an Oasis. I strongly suggest you save the money and get a Voyage. I have both and I much prefer my Voyage. The lighting on the Oasis at anything above 40-50% is extremely uneven and distracting. I returned my first device and got a second one that was worse. I then had to fight with them to let me keep the first one. Many people, here and elsewhere, have reported similar problems.

I still have my Voyage. It's great. The screen is near-perfect, the lighting is much more uniform than the Oasis (because it comes from the bottom, not the sides). It was also $90 less (albeit before buying the cover).
I DO want an Oasis. But once I get it we'll see if I still want it :-D
I am counting on being able to return it and get something else if it doesn't work for me. And honestly, stepping up from a k4, anything will take some getting used to...
Old 05-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I DO want an Oasis. But once I get it we'll see if I still want it :-D
I am counting on being able to return it and get something else if it doesn't work for me. And honestly, stepping up from a k4, anything will take some getting used to...
Plus, you get more bragging rights with an Oasis than with a Voyage.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:40 PM   #14
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Plus, you get more bragging rights with an Oasis than with a Voyage.
Oh yeah. It attracts girls! I have anecdotal proof! Just this weekend I had a girl come up to me and chat happily about this nifty black slab for a minute or two. Then she turned round and burst into tears when her mum said "maybe when you're older, dear."

(She was, like, six. I *did* say she was a girl.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:38 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Oh yeah. It attracts girls! I have anecdotal proof! Just this weekend I had a girl come up to me and chat happily about this nifty black slab for a minute or two. Then she turned round and burst into tears when her mum said "maybe when you're older, dear."

(She was, like, six. I *did* say she was a girl.)
And on this side of the pond, there is a sale on for the "Kids Bundle":
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-For-Kids-Bundle-eReader/dp/B01KMSKNGU/ref=gbps_img_s-3_e9fb_e121aab0
Plus kids get a two year warranty and a nice cover.
No backlight == KT3

The thing to do, was to tell Mom about that, and point out that she could borrow the device from her daughter (unless daughter installed parental controls - I.E: control your parent.)

Last edited by knc1; 05-30-2017 at 09:41 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote