Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-22-2021, 12:39 AM   #34651
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Also: I hope there's also a spot for whoever thought it was a good idea to put childproof caps on painkillers.
Someone who noticed the number of children being poisoned by over the counter painkillers? IIRC, acetaminophen poisoning is the leading cause of acute liver failure in children. Two friends of mine who had a 6 year old child who weighed around 22kg who became severely ill after consuming ~10 650mg Tylenol Arthritis tablets being used for pain control by the father. The dosage was around 295mg/kg which is well above the minimum 150mg/kg toxic dose for children.

Perhaps a search on terms such as "pediatric pharmaceutical poisoning" might help understand why childproof caps became common.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:24 PM   #34652
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Don't prescription drug bottle caps flip over and screw into the (inside of the) bottle in a non-childproof way?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2021, 10:45 PM   #34653
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Not universally, but I have seen those in the past.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:22 AM   #34654
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
My pharmacist just has a note in out file that we prefer non-child proof caps. And it's never a problem unless a locum happens to not notice it. But even when that happens, it's the same bottle and the caps are interchangeable so I just put the old cap on the new prescription. Once I manage to get the new top off, of course.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 03:05 AM   #34655
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I'm thinking emails like this might not be unrelated to my not being accepted for the Kobo Beta program.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nothappy.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	521.3 KB
ID:	188856  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2021, 06:39 AM   #34656
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I'm thinking emails like this might not be unrelated to my not being accepted for the Kobo Beta program.
Probably another one of their new "policies". When they first call, say 5 minutes and do nothing. On the second call, actually do something and say to wait 24 hours. Kinda like insurance, deny the first claim and make the customer call.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:39 PM   #34657
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
That's why I almost never buy from Kobo these days. I would like an alternative to Amazon, and (if it worked) buying from Kobo would actually be pretty convenient, but I was sick and tired of running into major hassles on a very high percentage of purchases.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:45 PM   #34658
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
That's why I almost never buy from Kobo these days. I would like an alternative to Amazon, and (if it worked) buying from Kobo would actually be pretty convenient, but I was sick and tired of running into major hassles on a very high percentage of purchases.
Yes. I love my Libra, and do make good use of the Super Points, but the incredible "guilty until proven innocent" mindset of their customer "support" setup is aggravating. They HAVE all the data to verify that a purchase qualifies, yet they still ask a customer to provide PROOF before giving them what is effectively store credit of no value outside the Kobo Store?

The contrast with Amazon's "phone 'em and they'll waive the $20 for ads on the Kindle" approach is staggering. I don't like Amazon, but they have a clear big picture grasp of customer support, as opposed to the suspicious, penny-pinching obstructiveness of Kobo
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 12:12 AM   #34659
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
The contrast with Amazon's "phone 'em and they'll waive the $20 for ads on the Kindle" approach is staggering. I don't like Amazon, but they have a clear big picture grasp of customer support, as opposed to the suspicious, penny-pinching obstructiveness of Kobo
While I'm sure we could all come up with things we don't like about Amazon, they did two very, very smart things with their CS people. First, they gave them wide discretion (within a certain $$ value) to solve customer's problems. And second, they directly incentivised them based on customer satisfaction. The result is that you can almost always reach a reasonable solution if you can get to talk to someone. (For some things, like a hardware problem with your Kindle, it's easy to talk to someone. For others, it's HARD to actually get to speak to someone. That's one of those things I don't like about Amazon.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:03 PM   #34660
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Hurricanes suck. My house is mostly unscathed and the hotel was grotty but the Air B&B in someone's garage in Waveland is kind of cute. I'm probably going to have to go to a cousin in NC until the power comes back on. For those of you unfamiliar with New Orleans weather, it is uninhabitable without AC this time of year.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:29 PM   #34661
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
I'm venting and ranting over the fact that I am just in a s**t, vile mood today for no solid reason. I hate everybody and everything.

I particularly hate whomever it is, that is running water late at night (we live in the Sonoran High Desert, mind you), somewhere in the vicinity of my place, patently from a hose, which nobody should be doing here. In the dark. In the night. Where nobody can walk around readily and find your stuff. (Without running into the denizens of the night here, which range from the more-easily scared off, like coyotes, to the less-readily, like Rattlesnakes, which do stay out after dark here, because the ground is heat-soaked and nice and warm for them.)

Sound travels remarkable distances up here. It's not like I can be sure it's in the next property or acreage over. (sigh).

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:40 PM   #34662
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Today my sister and I had planned to barbecue. We got one of those disposable barbecues, which we've used in the past and it worked well. But not this time.

You had to light the waxy paper beneath the paper bag with the coals, after 20 minutes you should be able to start grilling. Not this time, the waxy paper lit the paper bag, but the coals didn't want to catch. We tried with a handful of potato chips (tip from the internet), which also got a nice fire going, but the coals still didn't want to start smouldering.

After much cursing we ended up preparing the meat and veggies in the kitchen and had dinner inside. We're both well smoked, so my sister is taking a shower now and I'm going next before we're going to watch a movie, have some watermelon and possibly some ice cream.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:06 PM   #34663
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I never knew that such a thing existed -- a disposable barbecue! And I thought a hibachi was the way to go portable. Wowzer!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:24 PM   #34664
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post

After much cursing we ended up preparing the meat and veggies in the kitchen and had dinner inside. We're both well smoked, so my sister is taking a shower now and I'm going next before we're going to watch a movie, have some watermelon and possibly some ice cream.
Try a little bit of salt on your watermelon. It's amazing.

Too bad about the grill...I remember using one of those many many moons ago. I don't remember how well it worked.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:35 PM   #34665
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I'm venting and ranting over the fact that I am just in a s**t, vile mood today for no solid reason. I hate everybody and everything.

I particularly hate whomever it is, that is running water late at night (we live in the Sonoran High Desert, mind you), somewhere in the vicinity of my place, patently from a hose, which nobody should be doing here. In the dark. In the night. Where nobody can walk around readily and find your stuff. (Without running into the denizens of the night here, which range from the more-easily scared off, like coyotes, to the less-readily, like Rattlesnakes, which do stay out after dark here, because the ground is heat-soaked and nice and warm for them.)

Sound travels remarkable distances up here. It's not like I can be sure it's in the next property or acreage over. (sigh).

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Hitch
Is that reportable? Or aren't there actually water restrictions right now?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness