Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #34636
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post

I like when stores have just one line. When you get to the front of the line you get to go to whichever checkout counter is open first.
I've seen this is several retail stores, but never in a grocery store. Most of the ones around here don't have the floor space for it. The shelves are pretty close to the checkouts.

Joann Fabric's, DSW, Kohl's, have this. I think Target set up their checkouts to confound and befuddle shoppers. They are 2 layers deep, offset. So you can't tell which line people are in, or those in line block the open checkouts in front of them. It crams people together, it's horrible.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:28 PM   #34637
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
There's no item limit for the self checkout in my local store. However, for the most part people using the self checkout don't have a huge amount of groceries. Mostly people with a lot of items seem to prefer the cashier checkout.
The thing with the self-checkout is that it's somewhat self-limiting, as you have to leave the bloody items on the metal doodad. If you're me, shopping rarely and hugely, you can't do that. ;-)

(We live quite a way from the nearest grocery of any kind at all, so I tend to do pantry shopping at one store--canned and boxed goods where it's the least expensive and the most options--meat, fish and poultry, and fresh veggies at another--and then miscellaneous "gourmet items" at a third. I loathe it, but when you live far from everything, you either pay out the nose for your basics, to get decent meat/fish/poultry/veggies, or you do what I do. We can afford to pay out the nose, if we needed to, but it seems so wasteful to me, [since I'm cheap] paying 30-40% more! Self-checkout and I are barely on nodding terms...)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2021, 09:30 PM   #34638
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
[since I'm cheap]

Hitch
Not cheap the word is FRUGAL.

It always annoys me to see people waste money by not thinking or because they just do not care. That is probably because for most of my early life I struggled on a wage that was barely enough.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:25 PM   #34639
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I've seen this is several retail stores, but never in a grocery store. Most of the ones around here don't have the floor space for it. The shelves are pretty close to the checkouts.

Joann Fabric's, DSW, Kohl's, have this. I think Target set up their checkouts to confound and befuddle shoppers. They are 2 layers deep, offset. So you can't tell which line people are in, or those in line block the open checkouts in front of them. It crams people together, it's horrible.
I haven't seen it at any grocery stores either. TJ Maxx has it and it works pretty well.

I agree with you about Target's setup being confusing. Once I was there during the Christmas shopping season and they actually had an employee directing customers to cashier stations. Wish they had that all the time, it was helpful.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:27 PM   #34640
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
Not cheap the word is FRUGAL.

It always annoys me to see people waste money by not thinking or because they just do not care. That is probably because for most of my early life I struggled on a wage that was barely enough.
Frugality never goes amiss. Yeah, I know, sounds like a platitude, but the reality is, every penny you don't spend is one you have in your accounts/pockets. [Shrug].

There are some groceries that are worth paying extra to have; but for pantry staples, canned goods, brand items--it's just downright dumb to pay 40% more just so you can say you don't shop at (Kmart, Walmart, Dollar Store), etc. And yes, that allows me to shop at the butcher, instead of getting that godawful, too-lean beef that chain groceries have now. (And to go to this absurdly, ABSURDLY overpriced store/bakery to have my occasional binge of macaron cookies--not to be confused with macaroons--and indulge myself.)

Hitch
Advert
Old 08-14-2021, 11:28 PM   #34641
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
The thing with the self-checkout is that it's somewhat self-limiting, as you have to leave the bloody items on the metal doodad. If you're me, shopping rarely and hugely, you can't do that. ;-)

(We live quite a way from the nearest grocery of any kind at all, so I tend to do pantry shopping at one store--canned and boxed goods where it's the least expensive and the most options--meat, fish and poultry, and fresh veggies at another--and then miscellaneous "gourmet items" at a third. I loathe it, but when you live far from everything, you either pay out the nose for your basics, to get decent meat/fish/poultry/veggies, or you do what I do. We can afford to pay out the nose, if we needed to, but it seems so wasteful to me, [since I'm cheap] paying 30-40% more! Self-checkout and I are barely on nodding terms...)

Hitch
I don't live far from the stores but I also buy different kinds of groceries at different stores. There's a cheaper store that's good for the basics but there are some things I can't get there.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:33 AM   #34642
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I don't live far from the stores but I also buy different kinds of groceries at different stores. There's a cheaper store that's good for the basics but there are some things I can't get there.
Yes. If you're somewhat picky about a few things, or...whatever, no matter how far the stores are (well...let's be real, within limits), you'll start selective shopping. We used to have an UH-mazing meats and seafood store here, but a) it closed and b) it would now be 70+ miles from my house. My fave butcher is that same 70+ miles (sigh) and my favorite Italian deli is 45-ish. (more sighing). We've recently had a butcher open up, up here, only 12-13 miles away (nextdoor!), and I'm going to try it to see if I can avoid the "schlep" to the beef/pork store. :-) I still don't have decent seafood anywhere.

Hitch
Old 08-21-2021, 02:08 AM   #34643
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Why do many manufacturers think packaging has to be a lot bigger than the product? We see it in our store, more and more items come on blister packaging, taking up a lot of space. I know it's partly to make theft difficult, but it's getting ridiculous. And they probably also do it make their product look bigger and better than the competitor's.

Earlier this year my sister and have gotten into playing the game Carcassonne when I'm staying at her place. I got the base game with the Rivers expansion set. I had already seen that there are various "Big Boxes" which come with the base game and various expansions. For our upcoming vacation I got Big Box 3, with eleven expansion sets. And it comes in a huge box. Filled mostly with air. My sister is driving us to our destination, her car isn't big. So yesterday I packaged all the various tile sets and other playing items in zip lock baggies, labelled them and put them, the score board and manual in a bigger zip lock bag. It's now a quarter of the size of the box and I can easily put it in a bag with other things.

Most likely another case of trying to impress people with the size of the box. But such a waste of space, not just for when your traveling, but also at home. I'm seriously considering splurging and ordering a handmade wooden box/case on Etsy for the game. It's bigger than my baggies, probably about as big as the box of the Big Box, but more practical to put away and take with me.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 02:25 AM   #34644
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
blister packaging

I don't believe in the existence of Hell, but I'm hoping the Cosmos makes an exception for whoever invented blister packaging.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 02:25 PM   #34645
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I don't believe in the existence of Hell, but I'm hoping the Cosmos makes an exception for whoever invented blister packaging.
I am with you on that one.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:26 PM   #34646
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sometime back I bought some new kitchen shears, I had to use heavy duty tin snips to get at them.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:44 PM   #34647
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Sometime back I bought some new kitchen shears, I had to use heavy duty tin snips to get at them.
Hehe. Irony.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:17 PM   #34648
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I can't see it being much good for the environment over a cardboard box, either.

Also: I hope there's also a spot for whoever thought it was a good idea to put childproof caps on painkillers. At least my pharmacy will move it over to an easy-open container, but it's frustrating to have to ask.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 08-21-2021 at 08:23 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:19 PM   #34649
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Also: I hope there's also a spot for whoever thought it was a good idea to put childproof caps on painkillers. At least my pharmacy will move it over to an easy-open container, but it's frustrating to have to ask.
Err...I rather think that IS a good idea, though it is indeed wise for there to be an option.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:09 AM   #34650
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Err...I rather think that IS a good idea, though it is indeed wise for there to be an option.
Seconded! An option available on request for those with no no need of the childsafe function is good, but having medications difficult to access by design is sensible imo.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness