Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 11:03 AM   #61
helten
helten is on a distinguished road

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
Now that I'm a couple of weeks into use:

A one-touch bookmarking function (option to map to one of the navigational keys, delete or music side buttons) or at least option to add from the first menu rather than Bookmark sub-menu (which would be retained for other functions like remove, remove all, go to etc)
Would like to add bookmark more quickly, basically.
I've had mine for a couple of days and would like something very similar: An easier access to the lookup function. Like Mindy mentions it would be great if it was possible to remap some keys (delete, music or volume up/down - +/-). Does anybody use their CyBook for listening to music?
helten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #62
junior
Connoisseur
junior began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by helten View Post
Does anybody use their CyBook for listening to music?
Not yet, but it is good to know that there is this function.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #63
ChrisM12743
ChrisM
ChrisM12743 began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen cybook gen3
Cybook should stay with the system they have developed, however, the music jack is out, and the machine could change pages a little quicker.
ChrisM12743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bookeen doesn't yet need a Gen4. What they need is to fix the software issues for the Gen3 now. Doesn't matter how good the hardware is if the software doesn't work well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:44 AM   #65
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I wish it would always work reliably, react quicker, and most importantly have an efficient library sort....

Geoff
(waiting patiently for Bookeen to say they've found something wrong with mine)....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #66
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
* better screen contrast
* 7" screen in same casing/form factor
* more expenisve buttons
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:34 AM   #67
KLausPetersen
Connoisseur
KLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Bookeen doesn't yet need a Gen4. What they need is to fix the software issues for the Gen3 now. Doesn't matter how good the hardware is if the software doesn't work well.
signed

The gen3 is quite OK
Just the software sucks without Folder Support and the other issues.

I hope they fix everything with the gen3 first and avoid making the same mistakes with a future gen4.
KLausPetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #68
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
I've only had my Gen 3 for 24 hours but here's what I see so far:

Things that could be implemented in Gen 3 (ie sofware changes only) in order of preference:

1) Support for all the .mpb fields (title, reading list, author, subject, description). Right now title and author can be adjusted using mobi2mobi..but you can change those in the desktop reader and those changes are ignored by the Cybook. Reading lists and subject are ignored by the Cybook and are very useful for dealing with large libraries. Subject=genre and I use reading lists to manage series of books. In the 5 books/page library view the Cybook has plenty of space to display the book description and that is always nice. Again, all this information is already IN the Cybook in the .mbp file. The Cybook just needs to use it.

2) One touch bookmarks.

3) Cybook power off/on returning to the same place in the book you had open when you turned it off.

4) Have the margins user definable. Just from a list of margin sizes would be good. It feels wasteful to have e-ink screen just sitting there dead as margin space.

5) User definable buttons. I never plan to use the unit for mp3s so I'd love to be able to redefine the music and + and - buttons to something else. Maybe the bookmark function I wanted above?

6) A battery indicator. This wouldn't have to take much power: it could be in the top or bottom areas with the Header of Pageometer. Refresh only on page turn would be ok with me.

7) Faster boot time. I've turned my unit to never auto power off....the boot cycle is too long to mess with it. I'll decide later if my battery life is too short to keep this up.

Things that would require new hardware (again, in order of preference)

1) faster page turning. The faster the better. I assume this requires advancements in e-ink technology.

2) Support for SDHC cards. I have quite a few 4-8G cards. I'll have to go buy a 2G card just for the Cybook. Or maybe I won't since the large library organization is so poor that I can't see filling the 512M let alone needing a card.

3) Two flavours of Cybook: paperback sized and "letter" (Or something close to it) size. Paperback for "fun" reading and Letter(ish) for technical document reading. I am a gadget girl...I would definitely purchase both. I can imagine some would want the letter size and use it like a hardcover book for "fun" reading. Others would have no need/use for a large screen and only want the small unit for portability.

4) Color display. But not at the cost of giving up the faster page turns.

5) Either built in to the unit or available as a separate cover...a light for reading in low lighting conditions. One reader (Sony?) already has a lightwedge style light built into a case. That would suit me fine.
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #69
khnam
khnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura H20; Bookeen Cybook
I do love the File Explorer function because it's a pain when finding some book now. Could they upgrade the firmware so Gen 3 has this ability also?
khnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #70
kxpapado
kxpapado began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3, nokia n800
1) folder support
2) a dedicated lookup button
3) a dedicated bookmark button
4) a functional delete button
kxpapado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #71
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxpapado View Post
1) folder support
2) a dedicated lookup button
3) a dedicated bookmark button
4) a functional delete button
NO, I would like that on the Gen3, not on the Gen4
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #72
Thanabur
Thanabur began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by helten View Post
(...) Does anybody use their CyBook for listening to music?
The fact that they label it as music is just a marketing ploy. In fact I find its most usefulness could be for listening to podcasts and probably some audiobooks as well.
Thanabur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #73
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
I would love the fact to redefine buttons for my Cybook Gen3.

I do not see the sense in a delete-button since installing books requires a pc anyways, since I do not listen to music the same applies to the music and volume-buttons.

I would on the other hand love to be able to use these buttons for dictionary-lookup, bookmarks(add, remove, next, prev), increase, decrease textsize, zoom +/- in pdfs etc, etc and I would like to be able to define them myself - in some books I might need to add bookmarks often and switch between them, in other books I might need lookups, etc.

I would be perfect to have a (definable) default setting and the possibility to spezify alternate settings for special books, but for the beginning being able to change the settings globaly would make me happy.

Last edited by Pulp; 10-02-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #74
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonM View Post
I don't want Wifi support very much. I would much rather have a combination of two things: Bluetooth support and a wireless power recharging cradle, like my toothbrush has. That way I would never have to fiddle with the bottom connector at all. Set the reader in its cradle and it recharges. Set it anywhere near a computer with Bluetooth and files can be loaded onto it. If they really want to impress me, include a Bluetooth transceiver in the cradle and give the cradle a USB 2.0 cable. It can carry the power, as it does now, plus data for Bluetooth, and I never have to fiddle with plug covers, plugs, or dangling wires again. All I have to do is set my reader down and it's recharging and ready for data access, all at once.....
This might add too much to the overall cost.
I would prefer a standard USB connector with retractable cable both packaged in the unit. When not in use cable retracts. To plugin I just pull out connector and plugin. That way I wouldn't have to carry around separate cable and worry about where I left it, if I forgot it, etc. Additional cost would be minimal.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:41 AM   #75
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_ninja View Post
This might add too much to the overall cost.
I would prefer a standard USB connector with retractable cable both packaged in the unit. When not in use cable retracts. To plugin I just pull out connector and plugin. That way I wouldn't have to carry around separate cable and worry about where I left it, if I forgot it, etc. Additional cost would be minimal.
Cost would be minimal yes, but the resulting increase in height and weight of the device it self would make this option a "no-go" IMHO.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookeen, cybook, gen4