Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-12-2020, 11:45 AM   #16
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
If you go with an Onyx, try installing other browsers. Someone said Brave browser is better than the stock browser. Obviously install an ad-blocker.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:27 PM   #17
snoo
snoo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle voyage, Kindle DXG, iPad pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Not much will change here unless new technology is found.
Haha you are a pessimist However it is puzzling the technology is so slow to develop, I'm sure the market is there.
snoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:43 PM   #18
snoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Just tried browsing the internet on Firefox with the Hisense A5 Pro CC. It was actually surprisingly good. Pages loaded quickly. Very responsive pinch and zoom and navigation while zoomed in. And the slight bit of colour made a huge difference. Depending on the colour scheme of a webpage, important details can sometimes get lost in greyscale. The muted colours of the A5 Pro CC helped to negate that effect.

Of course, the resulting image is not as crisp as that on the Nova Pro even after one has refreshed the screen on the A5 Pro CC, and it will never be as crisp as on a regular smart phone or tablet.

However, the A5 Pro CC proved to be quite capable if one had such a need. Was pleasantly surprised. That said, I would still prefer to do any web browsing on a tablet or a laptop.
Cool! Thank you so much for the review! I didn't even know they have a color e ink phone! I would definitely grab one when the right opportunity presents itself.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #19
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoo View Post
Cool! Thank you so much for the review! I didn't even know they have a color e ink phone! I would definitely grab one when the right opportunity presents itself.
I got both my A5 and my A5 Pro CC from the CECT shop. Found them to be very professional.

As for the A5 Pro CC, there is a thread with a good deal of information about the phone here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329162

In posts #128 and #130, on page 9 of that thread, I uploaded some pictures of how a colour map displays on the colour eink screen with the light on and with the light off in bright sunlight:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=329162&page=9

The image is not as crisp as on a device like the Nova Pro, and the colours are VERY muted. However, just that slight touch of colour makes reading maps much easier than were they viewed completely in greyscale as on an ordinary eink ereader. That's primarily why I decided to bite the bullet and get the A5 Pro CC despite already having and being happy with the A5.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:48 PM   #20
snoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicabum View Post
Hisense A5 without any doubt!!
Great quality screen for reading ebooks (KOreader apps works great), web surfing (Lighting browser with high contrast settings) and watching youtube videos (NewPipe app).
It's a smartphone, so you make calls with it and you can have it always with you in your pocket. Now you can install Google Play as well. Simple great devices!
You can order Hisense products via CEPTSHOP.com. Pay attention to shipping method and tax fee (I paid 50 euro tax fee!)

Onyx devices are very good, but i could buy one of them only if you need a bigger screen or taking notes.
Thanks for the recommendation! I just checked price on CECTSHOP, it’s a bit more expensive than what they sell in China, for example the A5 pro CC is selling at $312 here, but about $230 from China. Unlike the Onyx whose price is almost the same on both markets. I’ll keep digging to see if I can find a better deal.

Last edited by snoo; 10-13-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:08 PM   #21
snoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I got both my A5 and my A5 Pro CC from the CECT shop. Found them to be very professional.

As for the A5 Pro CC, there is a thread with a good deal of information about the phone here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329162

In posts #128 and #130, on page 9 of that thread, I uploaded some pictures of how a colour map displays on the colour eink screen with the light on and with the light off in bright sunlight:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=329162&page=9

The image is not as crisp as on a device like the Nova Pro, and the colours are VERY muted. However, just that slight touch of colour makes reading maps much easier than were they viewed completely in greyscale as on an ordinary eink ereader. That's primarily why I decided to bite the bullet and get the A5 Pro CC despite already having and being happy with the A5.
Awesome! I’m pleasantly surprised! Thank you so much! I think I’ll definitely buy a A5 Pro CC if the price is right. CECT’s price is a bit too high at the moment.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:14 PM   #22
snoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicabum View Post
Hisense A5 without any doubt!!
Great quality screen for reading ebooks (KOreader apps works great), web surfing (Lighting browser with high contrast settings) and watching youtube videos (NewPipe app).
It's a smartphone, so you make calls with it and you can have it always with you in your pocket. Now you can install Google Play as well. Simple great devices!
You can order Hisense products via CEPTSHOP.com. Pay attention to shipping method and tax fee (I paid 50 euro tax fee!)

Onyx devices are very good, but i could buy one of them only if you need a bigger screen or taking notes.
As far as android e ink tablet goes there’re too few choices, Onyx is the better one for sure. But the note taking is a pain compare to s pen or apple pencil, maybe it will be good for my 3-year-old to learn to write, but even she prefers s pen lol.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:15 PM   #23
snoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
If you go with an Onyx, try installing other browsers. Someone said Brave browser is better than the stock browser. Obviously install an ad-blocker.
Good advice! Thanks! I will try it out
Old 10-30-2020, 03:48 AM   #24
Dimos
Enthusiast
Dimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura about

Device: Boyue likebook
Best device for web browsing right now is the dasung eink screen..

Last edited by Dimos; 10-30-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Dimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:02 PM   #25
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimos View Post
Best device for web browsing right now is the dasung eink screen..
Unfortunately, the dasung device does not so easily fit in a pocket.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:25 AM   #26
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Have you considered the hisense q5? Virtually identical to your iPad pro except it doesn't shine in your eyes (or have colour). The screen updates often enough to skim books and mentally recall each page at speed. And browsing is the same as on any normal tablet, but no backlight, so no eye strain.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote