Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-23-2020, 03:03 AM   #1
halloleo
Groupie
halloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: iPad
Is theer any automated way to handle updated books?

In the category of technical writing I have plenty of library items which I want toupdate regularly (for example software manuals like the calibre documentation).

When an update comes out, I create a new book with the new content files and delete the old book entry. Then on all OPDS client devices I have to delete the old book and add the new one.- Pretty tedious!

Can I automated any part of this process? Say when adding content files via the command line can I tell calibre to replace the the content files in an existing book entry and update the relevant metadata?

Also is there a way to automatically push/notify OPDS client readers of updated books? If not, it seems to me this is a big gab in the OPDS system...

Last edited by halloleo; 08-24-2020 at 02:12 AM. Reason: typos
halloleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:16 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Why are you creating new entries? Just update the files in the old entry, by right clicking the add books button and choosing add files to selected book records. And them update the date field. And as for notification, OPDS has no such feature.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:41 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't like dialogue boxes, so I do it via copy & paste.

Copy the new file to the clipboard in a file manager (Ctrl+C). Select the book in the book list, then use the Add Books->Add files to selected book record form clipboard, to which I've assigned Alt+Shift+V.

You can paste multiple files (e.g. a format file and a cover image), and you get a dismissible Are You Sure popup - perversely I don't mind those as they stop me making mistakes.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:11 AM   #4
halloleo
Groupie
halloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: iPad
Thanks for the details. Updating entries in calibre is teh way to go for sure.

@BetterRed: Inetsring workflow with the clipboard.

Big shame that updating the clients is not in any way automatable...
halloleo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, calibre-server, opds, update books