Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
ps67
Groupie
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
final judgment: good but could be fantastic

Kobo Aura One is no longer in production, I would say that we can give a final judgment. In the end it is a good reader, but it didn't take much for it to be fantastic. A 7.8 "screen with 300 DPI, I think it was the first player with such a big screen to have lighting, surely it was the first reader to have comfort light, I also believe it was the first to have overdrive for those countries where the service is active (not Italy, unfortunately, but I can always use ADE).

Unfortunately, many Kobo Aura One have had lighting problems, I was lucky in that sense, but the number of dissatisfied users for this was high. Yet better quality control was enough to avoid the problem. Also mine has a wi fii not up to par, it almost never works on the first, in some versions of the firmware it didn't work at all and even two days ago I was forced to use Kobo Desktop in the end. I don't know how many others had the same problem, I saw less complaints around than lighting.

Another disconcerting aspect of the Kobo Aura One is the imprecision of the touch, in mine it is very evident on the left side of the screen. This is another puzzling thing, really Kobo couldn't do better?

And then the last question: it is not very fast, compared with the Kindle paperwhite I saw the difference, minimal but noticeable during reading, higher for all the rest.

In short, an innovative reader, with unique features for when it went into production (2016), but a little more effort by Kobo was enough because it was fantastic.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:49 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I dunno, I liked mine, I just liked the Forma more for the bigger screen, and different shape etc.

But uh, why is this in the developer forum?
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2019, 05:34 PM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo Aura One
The KA1 has been an excellent ereader for me. A worthy successor to my Sony ereaders.

I don't see any reason to go on to another ereader at this time.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:06 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
The Forma isn't (nearly) a big enough improvement on the Aura One to be worth the outlay for me. Buttons would be nice and the Forma is lighter, but the Aura One is smaller overall and it's more than good enough.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:22 PM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The Forma isn't (nearly) a big enough improvement on the Aura One to be worth the outlay for me. Buttons would be nice and the Forma is lighter, but the Aura One is smaller overall and it's more than good enough.
It also helped that I had an aunt and uncle who I knew would make good use out of the KA1.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #6
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
It also helped that I had an aunt and uncle who I knew would make good use out of the KA1.
I wish there were other readers in my family besides me. Unfortunately there aren't. No one of my family members even reads paper books, let alone ebooks. So I have to sell my older e-readers to strangers. It feels a bit sad.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
sladflob
Enthusiast
sladflob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Aura One
Three years on I still use my KA1 every day and still really like it. The big shift for me was switching exclusively to KOReader earlier in the year. I only ever read sideloaded ePubs and the faster page-turns and improved rendering has made reading a joy. I also only ever read in fullscreen mode so not having to patch firmware or mess around in Calibre to get things to look right is an added bonus. I love new gadgets but can't justify the cost to upgrade to the Forma... maybe the next model will have something new to inspire me to upgrade.
sladflob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:48 AM   #8
ps67
Groupie
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I

But uh, why is this in the developer forum?
It was mine error and I asked to a moderator to move it in the correct category.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:28 AM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle PW2 and Voyage; Kobo Aura HD and One
I love my Aura One--still going strong after two and a half years of fairly heavy use. If it had page turn buttons and a more accurate touch screen, it would be the perfect device for me. Mine has an evenly lit screen--at least to my eye. The screen is very crisp and easy to read.

I just received a Forma (yesterday). Haven't really had a chance to read/play with it much yet. Just finished loading books and my favorite patches on it this evening. From the little I've played with it, I think I'm going to like it--especially the page turn buttons. But, I think I like the screen on my Aura One quite a bit better. I'll be able to judge this better after spending some more time reading on the Forma. My Forma does have the grey streak down the right side that I saw mentioned in many reviews. But, after using it just a bit, it seems like the grey streak has diminished in size quite a bit. (I seem to remember reading posts from others who had the same experience.)

It will be interesting to see if the Forma will replace my Aura One as my go-to reader. (I still use my Kindle Voyage quite a bit as well.)
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #10
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
I'm still quite happy with my Aura One. While I do have the greenish tint problem with the comfort light it is such a rare occasion that I use the light to begin with that I'm not too upset about it. Don't feel tempted by either Forma or Libra at this time.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #11
Alanon
Enthusiast
Alanon doesn't litterAlanon doesn't litterAlanon doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura One
I can pretty much echo most of the sentiments here. The Aura One is my first e-ink reader and, on the whole, I've been very pleased. The crawling pace of development in the e-ink world means that there still are no real technical leaps or changes in substance, what we've seen thus far is mostly a matter of style - better ergonomics/buttons, lighter weight, etc. or perhaps a slightly larger screen.

I do object to Kobo's poor quality control for what was their top-tier device, and I've been afflicted with the green tinted comfort-light, though, thankfully, no poor WiFi or touch inconsistencies that the OP mentioned. However, these are not arguments against the device itself, but of Kobo and its approach to manufacturing. Since the Aura's release, there's been no evidence that they have improved - to the contrary! We've seen the same sloppiness with the Forma.

I can't really fault the Aura One anything in particular, as a device it's well thought-out and suits my needs. Any and all flaws that I'd change can be attributed to Kobo as a company and most of their devices seem to share the same issues. If I'm honest, while I have not seen enough reason to upgrade to any other device at this point, if in two years' time there do appear new and improved devices, then the question of whether to go Kobo and face the same issues again might be a serious consideration.
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:53 PM   #12
Claude_C
Zealot
Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post

Another disconcerting aspect of the Kobo Aura One is the imprecision of the touch, in mine it is very evident on the left side of the screen. This is another puzzling thing, really Kobo couldn't do better?
That's the main reason why I sold it to a friend of a friend. She's happy with it, but I was tired of having to tap or swipe many times to just change the page. Not all the time, but to often for me.

So, after that, I bought a Kindle. Works great. Better dictionary. But... I was missing a lot of what Kobo does and the Kindle doesn't. So, I sold my Kindle and got me a Clara HD.

I like the small weight of the Clara, but I find it a bit slippery. Placing it in a cover would probably solve the problem, but it would weight more.
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote