Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-14-2021, 12:17 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
IAgain, given that the page numbers can and will vary between different formats and editions of dead tree books and you can only match one edition, the utility of page numbers for ebooks is, IMNSHO, very limited.
And if the pBook comes out in hardcover, the .apnx page numbers is going to match the hardcover and not any other version.

So if you have say a hardcover, trade, and MMPB, which version is the .apnx going to match?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:21 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is there a way to convert the .apnx to a pagemap/pagelist for the ePub?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2021, 12:41 PM   #33
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there a way to convert the .apnx to a pagemap/pagelist for the ePub?
Yes. Do a search on threads tagged apnx.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:54 PM   #34
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If and only if the Kindle ebook has an associated .apnx file which matches the paper book. See either the MobileRead Wiki entry for .apnx or the calibre apnx documentation which is bit more in depth.
A tiny portion of which I wrote.

Quote:
However Kindles since firmware 3.1 support .apnx files which serves the same purpose as pagelist or pagemap.

Again, given that the page numbers can and will vary between different formats and editions of dead tree books and you can only match one edition, the utility of page numbers for ebooks is, IMNSHO, very limited.
I didn't dispute any of that. I just relayed my experience over the past year, which included new and not-new releases and hard and soft backs. It's all anecdotal, but sufficient for me to decide they will be close enough for me.

I personally find page numbers more helpful during reading than kindle locations or percent complete.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:09 PM   #35
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multics View Post
The page numbering is important when you are reading multiple books including the same book printed and in ebook format. I may read the paper version at home but when I travel I like to have the ereader with me. The Kobo is unacceptable as it will not go to page numbers.

I feel I have to stick to the SON PRS-T1 as it does what I need. Maybe time to hit ebay again and see how the last.

anyone have the SONY software for doenloading new firmware and the latest firmware?
I also am in this situation sometimes, and what I do is take a note of where I'm at in the book and then just flip to that part in the my ereader, or vice versa. I mean, it's a bit inconvenient, but, it's not difficult to do.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #36
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And if the pBook comes out in hardcover, the .apnx page numbers is going to match the hardcover and not any other version.

So if you have say a hardcover, trade, and MMPB, which version is the .apnx going to match?
Amazon does tell you on the product page which ISBN the ebook pages corresponds to. Although it doesn't help much if that version goes out of print...
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:49 PM   #37
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
KOBO CLARA HD
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:39 AM   #38
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
KOBO CLARA HD
What, no exclamation points?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:46 AM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yahoo! is being sold again and the new owner is rebranding it Yahoo
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement prs-t1