Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2021, 05:01 AM   #496
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Zenji, the Forma also has a plastic substrate screen. Plastic substrate screens have less chance of breaking / are more flexible.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:58 AM   #497
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
Thanks John, that's good to know!

Now all I have to do is find a way to get one from the US
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #498
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenji View Post
Thanks John, that's good to know!

Time for a vacation? Yes, this is your lucky day. Disneyworld* is offering the ride of a lifetime - but only for a limited time! Enjoy Mickey Mouse and Daffy Duck as they cavort around you, chasing their tails. Ride the Twist-A-Wheel and see the inside of your stomach and all its contents.

* This is in no way an endorsement, simply a way to get a new Kobo at the going rate!

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:38 PM   #499
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Disneyworld* is offering the ride of a lifetime - but only for a limited time!
Is this code for the White House?
Congress?!

Old 12-02-2021, 08:14 PM   #500
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
There have been some comments about the fact that the official Sage sleepcover literally COVERS the power button. Today, I discovered why that can be problematic, and a fix:

(I read almost exclusively in KOReader, so I don't know if this would happen in the stock Kobo reader)

After a busy couple of days in which I've had no time to use my Sage at all, I picked it up, opened the sleep cover and found that it had powered off. It did not take long to realize that my impaired motor skills and fingernail-free hands were never going to get the Sage OUT of the cover to turn it on, so I thought "would connecting it to the PC work?" Happily, it did. Hopefully this might be useful to anyone who finds themself in a similar predicament.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2021, 11:05 PM   #501
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivresInOz View Post

PBTech and Kogan claim to have stock - could be worth trying them first.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:29 AM   #502
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
PBTech and Kogan claim to have stock - could be worth trying them first.
Both are charging 10% more than Kobo's normal price for the ereaders. And Kobo has the Forma at $379.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:57 AM   #503
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Both are charging 10% more than Kobo's normal price for the ereaders. And Kobo has the Forma at $379.
Does Kobo hold stock in Australia now? I didn't know.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:06 AM   #504
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Does Kobo hold stock in Australia now? I didn't know.
I think so. My Sage appears to have come from within Australia. Whether they do for all the ereaders, I don't know.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:32 AM   #505
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

I do know they never offered 32GB Forma in Oz.
Its also hard to find demo units of any of them.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #506
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Why not use sleep? That will wake to whatever state you left it and only takes seconds.
Well, no. Not the seconds part, but going back to where I left it. Frequently, and by that I mean at least as often as not, my Aura One goes back a few pages on waking.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:57 AM   #507
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Well, no. Not the seconds part, but going back to where I left it. Frequently, and by that I mean at least as often as not, my Aura One goes back a few pages on waking.
My A1 also sometimes opens a page behind where I stopped reading. I also find text highlighted that I never highlighted sometimes.
LDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:47 PM   #508
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
If I was considering paying that much money for a Sage or Forma, I'd have much rather paid $115 for the new Paperwhite, granted I'm sure it wasn't that cheap in Australia.

I'm disappointed there are so few people who bought the Elipsa to use primarily as a reader who post here (or anywhere). I guess the MyDeepGuide youtube reviewer of e-ink devices measured the writing latency of all major models and the Elipsa came dead last.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:58 PM   #509
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
If I was considering paying that much money for a Sage or Forma, I'd have much rather paid $115 for the new Paperwhite, granted I'm sure it wasn't that cheap in Australia.

I'm disappointed there are so few people who bought the Elipsa to use primarily as a reader who post here (or anywhere). I guess the MyDeepGuide youtube reviewer of e-ink devices measured the writing latency of all major models and the Elipsa came dead last.
I'm personally not at all interested in either the new Paperwhites or the Elipsa.

Paperwhites: no buttons, screen is not as good as on the new Kobos, and 6.8'' is too small. Plus the UI seems less and less attractive with each new update. And last but not least I don't like the shape.

Elipsa: too big, too heavy, too expensive, no warm light, no buttons. And I don't read manga or PDF.

Why didn't you buy the new PW then?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:26 PM   #510
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I'm personally not at all interested in either the new Paperwhites or the Elipsa.

Paperwhites: no buttons, screen is not as good as on the new Kobos, and 6.8'' is too small. Plus the UI seems less and less attractive with each new update. And last but not least I don't like the shape.

Elipsa: too big, too heavy, too expensive, no warm light, no buttons. And I don't read manga or PDF.

Why didn't you buy the new PW then?
I wish I understood why the new Paperwhite screen isn't as good as on the new Kobos because supposedly they all share the same e-ink screen.

I'm in a minority that will only use 8 inch readers. I don't think they have a lot of value compared to the new Paperwhite if you don't absolutely have to have the extra inch of space.

It doesn't make sense to me why the Sage/Forma/Oasis should be over twice as expensive as the Paperwhite, but I'm sure there's a reason. The price increase for an additional inch of screen size has got to be one of the most expensive in the history of consumer displays.

I could see myself buying a 10 inch e-ink tablet before I would buy another smaller device, but not likely anytime soon.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote