Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-04-2021, 09:40 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Overdrive with Nook & DeASCM

EDIT: Turns out this was a problem with the Nook, not with DeASCM. The Barnes & Noble upgrade today (10/27/21) fixed it. Now I turn off DeDRM and use only DeASCM for Overdrive borrowing on the Glowlight 3. This is the way I prefer to do it. I don't mind removing DRM on my own books but doing it with library books seems to cross the line.

Ran into a frustrating experience trying to use my Nook with Overdrive. Since I use Linux and have never been able to get ADE to work in Wine, I was curious if I could borrow books via Calibre with the new DeASCM plugin (while disabling the DeDRM plugin) -- in other words, trying to do it the "right" way. It would have worked (I believe) EXCEPT when the Nook asked me to enter my login information for Adobe ADE there was no way to type in a period (my Adobe ADE login email address ends in ".net"). They had a shortcut key ".com" but that was useless for me. Has anyone ever ran into this issue in the past? I can still use Overdrive with the Nook Glowlight by enabling DeDRM, but I feel more comfortable not doing that with library books (unless the format is really poor and nearly unreadable).

EDIT: I found the workaround. Just hit ".com" then backspace over "com" and enter "net". A "like-duh" moment.

Despite doing that and using up one of my authorizations — the Nook Glowlight 3 didn't open the book on its own. It threw an error. So I guess DeDRM is still necessary if I want to read library loans on the Nook. (Ah well, I tried.)

EDIT2: The error is "Loan token not found." Should mention that this DOES work with non-library (Overdrive) books.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-28-2021 at 12:40 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:04 AM   #2
Leseratte_10
Groupie
Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB Era, PB InkPad 3 Pro
Given that DeDRM'ing the books does work, it doesn't look like that's a bug with the DeACSM plugin, more like a bug with the reader.

Are you sure that both DeACSM and the Nook are authorized to the same Adobe account? They probably are, given that you're saying that non-library books work, but you never know ...

Try connecting the Nook to your computer, open the ".adobe-digital-editions/activation.xml" file on the device (hidden folder, so make sure your file browser shows hidden files/folders) and check what ID it displays in the "<adept:user>" entry. Should begin with "urn:uuid:" and then a bunch of letters and numbers.

Then open Calibre, go to Preferences -> Miscellaneous, then click "Open calibre configuration folder", then go to "plugins/DeACSM/account", open the activation.xml that's in there, and check if the "<adept:user>" entry is identical to the one on the Nook.

If that's not the case, you'll probably need to re-authorize the Nook somehow.
If it is (= the entries are identical) then the problem will be something else with the reader and not due to different Adobe IDs.
Leseratte_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2021, 03:59 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Thanks for the instructions. urn:uuid is the same. The Nook authorization xml, however, has section the the Calibre one doesn't — it looks like it routes through Barnes & Noble before going to Adobe...

Code:
<adept:passHashList xmlns:adept="http://ns.adobe.com/adept">
<adept:operatorURL>http://edelivery.barnesandnoble.com/EDS/fulfillment</adept:operatorURL>
<adept:passHash>(long letter/number combination)</adept:passHash>
</adept:passHashList>
It's not a big deal for me. I was just experimenting to see if the Nook could work only with DeASCM without the need for DeDRM.

EDIT: Fixed with Barnes & Noble upgrade.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-28-2021 at 12:41 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote