Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-04-2021, 01:30 PM   #16
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
As a reader/bookbuyer: 100% agree. Design is a skilled profession that should be treated with respect. Lots of people think they can do it just because they've slapped up a Powerpoint or two. They can't. It shows. And it raises the question "did they bother hiring an editor for the inside of the book, or was that aspect of book production treated with the same level of care as the cover?"

I just end up never buying any books with obvious DIY covers, unless they've been very very strongly recommended by readers I trust. I don't think I'm alone.
YES and there it is. You simply start to avoid those "DIY covers." Because of that same thought process ("well, if s/he couldn't afford $25, even, for a cover designer, why should I think that s/he paid for a proofreader or editor?").

I even know better--I mean, I've seen s**t covers on really good books--and yet, I still tend to steer clear of them as if it's a red flare. {shrug}. I have one right now. An actually GOOD little cop-procedural-mystery, but the cover is meh. And she used one of our designers, too, but she had a design in mind, a VERY specific design--right out of the '70's--and couldn't let go. (sigh).

It's simply a fact--the entire package has to present commercially and professionally, unless (like Andy Weir) you happen to have developed a fanbase already on your blog, and when I say fanbase, I mean in the thousands, not the hundreds. If you do that, you can be a bit sloppy around your first cover, but even then...why give birth to your child and then cut off one of its legs, while wishing it to be successful? Nuts.

There are days...

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:46 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
As a reader/bookbuyer: 100% agree. Design is a skilled profession that should be treated with respect. Lots of people think they can do it just because they've slapped up a Powerpoint or two. They can't. It shows. And it raises the question "did they bother hiring an editor for the inside of the book, or was that aspect of book production treated with the same level of care as the cover?"

I just end up never buying any books with obvious DIY covers, unless they've been very very strongly recommended by readers I trust. I don't think I'm alone.
You are not alone. I feel the same way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2021, 01:51 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
YES and there it is. You simply start to avoid those "DIY covers." Because of that same thought process ("well, if s/he couldn't afford $25, even, for a cover designer, why should I think that s/he paid for a proofreader or editor?").

I even know better--I mean, I've seen s**t covers on really good books--and yet, I still tend to steer clear of them as if it's a red flare. {shrug}. I have one right now. An actually GOOD little cop-procedural-mystery, but the cover is meh. And she used one of our designers, too, but she had a design in mind, a VERY specific design--right out of the '70's--and couldn't let go. (sigh).

It's simply a fact--the entire package has to present commercially and professionally, unless (like Andy Weir) you happen to have developed a fanbase already on your blog, and when I say fanbase, I mean in the thousands, not the hundreds. If you do that, you can be a bit sloppy around your first cover, but even then...why give birth to your child and then cut off one of its legs, while wishing it to be successful? Nuts.

There are days...

Hitch
But like Andy Weir, don't embed fonts that make the eBook difficult to read. For whatever reason, Open Sans, Open Serif, and Open Mono were used in the eBook. They are horrible fonts on eInk. Just about unreadable.

Best not to embed any fonts.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But like Andy Weir, don't embed fonts that make the eBook difficult to read. For whatever reason, Open Sans, Open Serif, and Open Mono were used in the eBook. They are horrible fonts on eInk. Just about unreadable.

Best not to embed any fonts.
Yes, dear, but that was Weir's publisher, not Weir.

Hitch
Old 09-04-2021, 02:42 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, dear, but that was Weir's publisher, not Weir.

Hitch
Well then, the advice is don't let the publisher F-up the eBook by installing God awful rubbish fonts.

But could Weir not have told the publisher that those fonts are not to be used because they are almost unreadable?
Advert
Old 09-04-2021, 03:05 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well then, the advice is don't let the publisher F-up the eBook by installing God awful rubbish fonts.

But could Weir not have told the publisher that those fonts are not to be used because they are almost unreadable?
Jon, dear....trust me, that ain't how it works.

Hitch