Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2022, 07:50 AM   #1
Kronface
Kronface began at the beginning.

Device: Glo, Clara 2E
Global nightmode + GUI Version

Hi all.

After using and abusing my Kobo Glo for many years, I have received a Clara 2E.
I like it, it's lighter and the display is sharper.

But I am a creature of habit.
Below is a link to a pic of both the Glo (left) and the Clara (right)
https://i.imgur.com/2NUwnfG.jpg

I prefer the version of the menu on the Glo, and the global nightmode/inverted display.

Is it possible to have this on the Clara?

Thanks.
Kronface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 08:39 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronface View Post
Hi all.

After using and abusing my Kobo Glo for many years, I have received a Clara 2E.
I like it, it's lighter and the display is sharper.

But I am a creature of habit.
Below is a link to a pic of both the Glo (left) and the Clara (right)
https://i.imgur.com/2NUwnfG.jpg

I prefer the version of the menu on the Glo, and the global nightmode/inverted display.

Is it possible to have this on the Clara?

Thanks.
It is not possible at all. The GUI on the firmware changed when Kobo moved from version 3 to version 4 of the firmware. There are a lot of changes between the firmware your GLO is running and 4.34.

What I suggest is is to update your 2E to version 4.34.20097 if it's not already.

After the firmware update (or not), install NickelMenu (read the NickelMenu thread) where you can create options to invert and dark mode to toggle them on and off as you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2022, 12:14 PM   #3
Kronface

Cheers for the info, much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
install NickelMenu
I did have a gander through the thread, is it compatible with all models?
Old 12-27-2022, 01:08 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Pretty much yes. Any issues I've seen or heard of have been due to firmware versions not hardware platforms. I.e., don't try running NickelMenu on antique firmware versions.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 04:49 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
NickelMenu works perfectly well on 4.34.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2022, 07:40 PM   #6
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
You can still have the old invert-everything-including-pictures mode AS WELL AS the new dark-books-but-light-UI mode. See this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=341175
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 06:17 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is not possible at all. ...
Ayuh, you can't get there from here.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:09 PM   #8
Kronface

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply.
Cheers for the info, global night is working and nickelmenu is decent.
Old 06-22-2023, 11:13 AM   #9
SillyStegosaurus
SillyStegosaurus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
You can still have the old invert-everything-including-pictures mode AS WELL AS the new dark-books-but-light-UI mode. See this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=341175
Does this also allow users to easily toggle global (menus, annotations, books) light mode on from within the device, or would we have to edit the conf every time we wanted to switch between the two modes?
SillyStegosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 01:36 PM   #10
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
If you go the Nickel Menu route, you will never again have to edit the conf file.

That said, this particular combination, which is what I really want to have, is unattainable on Kobo hardware:

UI with black background and white text
AND
Ebook with black background and white text
AND
Pictures NOT inverted, but rather in normal black-and-white
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote