Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-24-2021, 10:56 AM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Disable Internet
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:00 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Disable Internet
You still can get notifications from programs even without a connection to the Internet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2021, 01:36 PM   #18
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
@JSWolf

Life is not distraction free. get a thought and you could be distracted. Need to look something up and you could be distracted. You are working on a neural engine where there can be plenty of distractions.

Sorry, but the only way to be distraction free is to be death or being an amoeba

pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:57 PM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
FocusWriter is not distraction free. get a notification and you could be distracted. Need to look something up and you could be distracted. You are working on a computer where there can be plenty of distractions.

Sorry, but the only way for it to be distraction free is to be a the only running program on a dedicated device.
That's why I put "distraction-free" in quotes in the original post. The Alphasmart Neo is a good tool for distraction-free writing — although you usually have your cell phone with you anyhow.

For me "distraction-free" means not worrying about what the document looks like while I type. That's one of the main reasons I like something that is not GUI. Formatting the text is something I worry about after I finish writing. It's a two-step process for me. Creating and then formatting.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:29 PM   #20
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's why I put "distraction-free" in quotes in the original post. The Alphasmart Neo is a good tool for distraction-free writing — although you usually have your cell phone with you anyhow.

For me "distraction-free" means not worrying about what the document looks like while I type. That's one of the main reasons I like something that is not GUI. Formatting the text is something I worry about after I finish writing. It's a two-step process for me. Creating and then formatting.
This, in a nutshell, is why I was so happy to move to Scrivener all those years ago. Prior to that, I had been using Word and the temptation to format and spell check as I typed was strong. I can't remember Scrivener Gold features now, but it finally broke me of that habit (it did take a while though).
So much so that when I type into the Neo, I don't worry about anything and let my Typinator et al worry about spellinge as it gets slurped into my "real" document.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You CAN turn off spellchecking and hide the formatting tools in Word or LO Writer. I can't imagine why anyone would buy Word now except companies standardised on MS Office with loads of VB and Macros.

I use Notepad++ or KATE for basic distraction free writing, or Jota on Android. Turn off notifications / data / Internet.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:38 AM   #22
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
You CAN turn off spellchecking and hide the formatting tools in Word or LO Writer. I can't imagine why anyone would buy Word now except companies standardised on MS Office with loads of VB and Macros.

I use Notepad++ or KATE for basic distraction free writing, or Jota on Android. Turn off notifications / data / Internet.
Microsoft thinks it is selling me a MS Office subscription, when in reality, I am buying a subscription to MS OneDrive, which is superior to and more cost effective than, Google, DropBox, etc, at least for Windows users. The fact that I can use MS Word natively on an Android tablet, Chrome, or in any device with a browser is a significant plus, though not a driving decision point for me personally.

Microsoft must be praised for its Android efforts. For those who want/need an ability to integrate their Android activity with their Windows activity as seamlessly as possible, a Microsoft solution must be at least considered.

For me, "distraction free" is more of a state of mind than it is an application. I find that without a ruthless and deadly intent, I can be distracted quite easily regardless of platform, and application used.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 01-26-2021 at 11:42 AM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:21 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You CAN turn off spellchecking and hide the formatting tools in Word or LO Writer. ...
Still a GUI though. Never was a fan of Word and only used when it when I had to at work (for a short while, when I used Windows at home, I used Lotus WordPro — which I thought was cleaner). But, even when I used Windows, I mostly wrote in WordStar for DOS (that's why I like Jstar in Linux).
Old 01-27-2021, 12:49 AM   #24
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I am buying a subscription to MS OneDrive, which is superior to and more cost effective than, Google, DropBox, etc, at least for Windows users
I'm a Windows user and I pay the equivalent of $3US p.m. for 200GB Google Drive space. The nearest standalone OneDrive available to me is 100GB at a unit price 1.66 times that of my Google Drive subscription. So for me, Free LibreOffice (with much better uptime reliability because of being local not Cloud) and Google Drive is definitely more cost effective than an MSO subscription. I suspect that many Windows users would find this to be true if they sat down and did the math for their own usage needs.
Uncle Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:31 AM   #25
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I use a freeware called DarkRoom. No ads, no cost, just a screen that you can adjust the size, font and color on. It fullscreens to cover the windows bar, etc.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I pay about $99 per year for my own hosting to have email and websites. It also gives me secure private online storage. But I don't use that feature much. IMO the online Cloud services should only be used for collaboration, on a per project basis, backed up and then deleted when the collaboration is completed.
The actual internet connection I have and my hosting has better up time than the big names. My server in the attic (an old PC with Linux) has better still up time. My server isn't on the Internet. Security and traffic.
I do physical local backups and store one off site.

The so called Cloud is simply the 1960s computer rental with poorer reliability, unknown security and backup. They are in it to make a profit. And in the case of Google can you trust them not to peek? They read all gmail and track as much of the Internet as possible. Android, Chrome and ChromeOS means they could give up wardriving when doing Streetview.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:16 AM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Still a GUI though. But, even when I used Windows, I mostly wrote in WordStar for DOS (that's why I like Jstar in Linux).
You can entirely use keyboard shortcuts, even setup WS ones, on LO Writer.

Or use Nano on Linux
Old 01-27-2021, 03:19 PM   #28
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I'm a Windows user and I pay the equivalent of $3US p.m. for 200GB Google Drive space. The nearest standalone OneDrive available to me is 100GB at a unit price 1.66 times that of my Google Drive subscription. So for me, Free LibreOffice (with much better uptime reliability because of being local not Cloud) and Google Drive is definitely more cost effective than an MSO subscription. I suspect that many Windows users would find this to be true if they sat down and did the math for their own usage needs.
Well, I guess it depends on how much storage you need. As a photographer, I need at least a Terabyte of cloud storage, and for around $130/year, I can have FIVE, 1 TB accounts, plus full access to the MS Office suite for each account. And Windows 10 integrates more fully with OneDrive than any other service.

The last time I checked, that was the best deal I could find.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:38 PM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
You can entirely use keyboard shortcuts, even setup WS ones, on LO Writer.
I've tried to get WordStar keystrokes to work in LibreOffice without any success. As far as I can tell, there is is no way to emulate WordStar combination keystrokes (which is what I mostly use).

When I want to go to the bottom of a file, I type CNTL+q (^q) and then (while still holding the control key) I press c. It's not the three together. To the top of the document, ^q then ^r, to the bottom of the screen, ^q then ^x, back to the top, ^q then ^e. End of the line ^q - ^f, start, ^q - ^a. (These are basically extensions of the WordStar "diamond," e, s, d, x.)

The "k" keys deal with files or blocks of text. ^k then ^b to start a block, ^k then ^k to end it. To move the block ^k - ^v, to copy it ^k - ^c, to write the block to a file, ^k - ^w. To save your current document, ^k - ^s, to quit ^k - ^q. You can also open, resize and change into different windows in the "k" menu.

To spell check a document, ^q - ^l, to spellcheck a specific word, ^q - ^n. To find a word, ^q - ^f, to find the next one, ^l.

I don't think there is any way to do all this by customizing keystrokes in LibreOffice (which I would love to be able to do).

But, even if I could fully emulate WordStar keystrokes in LibreOffice, that's only half of it. I would still have to deal with a GUI word processor and my tendency to worry about formatting as I go when typing in one.

Quote:
Or use Nano on Linux
I'm not looking for any keystrokes, I'm looking for WordStar keystrokes. I've had to write this post four times now. The first two times (when explaining the "q" menu) I automatically hit the CTRL key plus "q"... and quit Firefox. So I wrote the top part of this post in Jstar, and pasted it in. The third time I wrote this post I saw something I wanted to edit at the top of the screen and automatically hit ^q and I was going to hit ^e, and AGAIN closed Firefox. That's how ingrained the WordStar keystrokes are in my fingers. (This is not the first time I've done this but, normally, when typing in this forum I'm not in "WordStar" mode.)

I'm currently editing an OCR'd book (old one from Archive.org) to change it into an ePub. These keystrokes make the job much, much faster than using a mouse. There's a lot of cleaning up to do.

Now, if I can avoid hitting ^k - ^s, I'll finally post this.

Last edited by rcentros; 01-27-2021 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:45 AM   #30
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Wow! So you've managed to retain WordStar keystroke habits after all this time. Now that's what I call dedication! They were old when I was busy losing them to learn WordPerfect habits, and I've almost managed to lose those heading on towards 20-odd years since I last needed them.

Just sayin'. Not judgin'.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote