Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-14-2020, 10:51 PM   #1
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Coming on 1 January 2021

Some authors who died in 1950:

Olaf Stapledon
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Rafael Sabatini
Erle Cox
Guy Kilpatric
Edna St Vincent Millay
Heinrich Mann
Irving Bachellor
Ernest Haycox
Arthur Stringer
Lord Berners
George A Birmingham
Warwick Deeping
Harold Laski
George Bernard Shaw
George Orwell

and doubtless more not so well known

Last edited by Pulpmeister; 08-14-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:12 PM   #2
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post

George Bernard Shaw
George Orwell
So if one lives in a Life +50 country, these 2 are already PD?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2020, 03:08 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
So if one lives in a Life +50 country, these 2 are already PD?
Yes. And everyone else on that list.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:45 AM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes. And everyone else on that list.

Yep, I simply selected the only two that interested me - high school friends who were ERB fiends would be mortified!
Old 08-15-2020, 04:31 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post

Olaf Stapledon
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Rafael Sabatini
Erle Cox
Guy Kilpatric
Edna St Vincent Millay
Heinrich Mann
Irving Bachellor
Ernest Haycox
Arthur Stringer
Lord Berners
George A Birmingham
Warwick Deeping
Harold Laski
George Bernard Shaw
George Orwell

and doubtless more not so well known
Most of those names are not well known. Do you have the list of the others?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2020, 01:18 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Yep, I simply selected the only two that interested me - high school friends who were ERB fiends would be mortified!
Why? Soon they will be able to give electronic copies for free to their friends and try to spread their fandom without the expense of royalties.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Google didn't find anything on Guy Kilpatric, likewise nothing on Internet Archive. Even with a k at the end (check spelling?).
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:34 PM   #8
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How many people from the Los Angeles area knew that Tarzana was named that because it's where Burroughs' home was; named after his Tarzan character. I'm forever somewhat bemused at the seemingly obvious things that I never figured out on my own.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:05 PM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Why? Soon they will be able to give electronic copies for free to their friends and try to spread their fandom without the expense of royalties.
I meant that they would be mortified at my lack of interest in his PD status. They bridled whenever I mentioned Tarzan in their presence, for them he was an SF writer. So naturally, being a HS kid, I mentioned Tarzan A LOT.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:48 PM   #10
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Often the above authors are out of print and not well known. The trick is to find them and get them back into print, well, e-ink anyway.

John Guy Gilpatric 1896-1950 was an American pilot, flight instructor, journalist, short-story writer and novelist, best known for his Mr. Glencannon stories. (Wikipedia)

Edna St Vincent Millay, poet

Erle Cox, Australian author, early sf (Out of the Silence). I wrote an article about hm in this forum.

Heinrich Mann, German author. We have German language contributors here, so I expect him to start appearing next year.

Harold Laski, economist. Ernest Haycox, westerns... two Georges at the end of the list are very well known.

Googling out of print authors I always append "author" after their name in the search. Specially with "ordinary" names. I google my own name and I find half a dozen other people, if I add the title of a book I wrote I come to the top.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote