Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-03-2021, 06:01 AM   #1
zkvvoob
zkvvoob began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 613
Lightbulb MacOS icon

Hi there,

Would it be possible to have the macOS version of Calibre use a Big Sur-looking icon? The default one is very nice, but completely out of style on the dock. Compare the two screenshots.

This website has a very nice collection, including for Calibre, as well as a template that you can use.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 12.57.32.png
Views:	304
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	188495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 13.00.47.png
Views:	309
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	188496  
zkvvoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:23 AM   #2
zkvvoob

Hi again,

Any thoughts on this subject? I can see that no one's replied to my post for the past 9 months.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:09 PM   #3
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
You can customize the icons to your liking.
Do an internet search for how to customize icons on MacOS
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:00 AM   #4
zkvvoob

Actually you can't. You could try to change it, but the moment Calibre opens, it restores its default icon.

Try something before being so rude to others.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:26 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
You can customize the icons to your liking.
Do an internet search for how to customize icons on MacOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkvvoob View Post
Actually you can't. You could try to change it, but the moment Calibre opens, it restores its default icon.

Try something before being so rude to others.
Actually, you can. See Overriding icons, templates, et cetera in calibre's manual.

And IMO it is your reply that is rude, not dunhill's.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:57 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Actually, you can. See Overriding icons, templates, et cetera in calibre's manual.
On Windows I'm pretty sure the icon that appears on shortcuts, on the taskbar, start menu etc is the one that's embedded in the .exe.

Name:	Screenshot 2021-12-08 215130.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	190693

No idea if that's true for MacOS or if there's a Resource Hacker for MacOS.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:11 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
On Windows I'm pretty sure the icon that appears on shortcuts, on the taskbar, start menu etc is the one that's embedded in the .exe.
It isn't on my install of windows 10 with calibre 5.33.2.

Try the new feature to change the library icon in the toolbar (right-click on the library button). Changing that icon changes the task bar.

An icon named "lt.png" is used by default for the library, title bar, etc. You can change this icon in the config resources directory. The screen capture shows what happens (for me). NB: if you change the icon you must restart calibre.

EDIT: I don't know what happens with shortcuts, but for them you are probably correct. If you pin calibre to the task bar then it reverts to the standard icon if calibre isn't running.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	190694  

Last edited by chaley; 12-08-2021 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Added calibre version. Add comment about shortcuts.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:25 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It isn't on my install of windows 10 with calibre 5.33.2.

Try the new feature to change the library icon in the toolbar (right-click on the library button). Changing that icon changes the task bar.

An icon named "lt.png" is used by default for the library, title bar, etc. You can change this icon in the config resources directory. The screen capture shows what happens (for me). NB: if you change the icon you must restart calibre.

EDIT: I don't know what happens with shortcuts, but for them you are probably correct. If you pin calibre to the task bar then it reverts to the standard icon if calibre isn't running.
Ah-ha - then we're both right

I have shortcuts pinned to the taskbar for programs that I start manually, which includes calibre. And, because I don't use the toolbars I haven't explored assigning library specific icons.

I've used the Resource Hacker to change a couple of embedded resource icons - notably a version 4.23 of portable ebook-viewer from a brown book to a blue book.

Added: and on Windows you can change shortcut icons.

None of which helps with MacOS of course.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-08-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:18 PM   #9
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkvvoob View Post
Hi there,

Would it be possible to have the macOS version of Calibre use a Big Sur-looking icon? The default one is very nice, but completely out of style on the dock. Compare the two screenshots.

This website has a very nice collection, including for Calibre, as well as a template that you can use.

Thank you!
I tried it on my Mac (not big sur) and although the instructions for changing the icon work in the dock when the app isn't running, it reverts to the original icon when the app runs. I tried to replace the only version of calibre.png that I could find, but no luck.
I seem to recall that I had the same issue on the Mac when I tried to create a shortcut to another app. So, it looks like "it just works" probably doesn't.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:21 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to replace lt.png as descibed in the user manual as well https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/customize.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:02 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

On Windows the only way I can get File Explorer to display anything in the taskbar other than the .ico file embedded in the calibre.exe, is to replace the .ico in the .exe. Or if I have a shortcut pinned to the taskbar then replace .ico in the .lnk file in %appdata%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar.

If I override the lt.png in resources/images/, or set a library specific icon that will change what's in the title bar (and calibre's toolbar of course), but it won't change what's shown in the task bar… even if I refresh it with ie4uinit -show.

But once again - None of that helps with MacOS.

Added: on reflection, maybe MacOS reflects title bar icon changes in the dock display.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-10-2021 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:33 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If I override the lt.png in resources/images/, or set a library specific icon that will change what's in the title bar (and calibre's toolbar of course), but it won't change what's shown in the task bar… even if I refresh it with ie4uinit -show.
This isn't what I see. The task bar changes when I have an overridden icon and calibre is running.

Steps:
  1. Start calibre. The icon isn't overridden and it isn't pinned.

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	190734
  2. Override the icon. The task bar changes.

Name:	Clipboard03.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	190735
  3. Pin it. The task bar still shows the new icon.

Name:	Clipboard04.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	190736
  4. Quit calibre. The task bar reverts as you say.
    Name:  Clipboard05.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  3.0 KB
  5. Restart calibre from the task bar. The task bar icon becomes the new one.

Name:	Clipboard06.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	190738
Old 12-10-2021, 03:46 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
This isn't what I see. The task bar changes when I have an overridden icon and calibre is running.
No matter what I do I can't my lt.png override or a library png to appear in the taskbar. I did the following:

terminated the 7TT taskbar tweaker;
removed the pinned shortcut from the taskbar,
moved the taskbar to the bottom of the screen,
made the taskbar icons bigger
and started calibre directly from program files\calibre2

And what I got was

Name:	Screenshot 2021-12-10 192631.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	190739

I read lt(ell-tee).png as it(aye-tee).png.

Can't think of anything else to try.

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎2020-‎08-‎26
OS build 19043.1348
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

BR
Old 12-10-2021, 03:56 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎2020-‎08-‎26
OS build 19043.1348
Almost certainly some configuration difference (obviously.) I don't have anything like a task bar tweaker or Win7 compatibility tools. At this point I think we should accept that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

For the record, I am also running:
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎05/‎08/‎2020
OS build 19043.1348
Old 01-06-2022, 03:44 AM   #15
zkvvoob

When I add my own lt.png file in
Code:
Library/Preferences/calibre/resources/images
, it does appear as a dock icon when Calibre is not working. However, the moment Calibre is up and running, it reverts to its default icon.

Moreover, I tried manually replacing the calibre.icns icon inside the calibre package in Applications, and it refused to start - which leads me to believe there is some checksum verification or something. At any rate, this is rather bizzarre, if you ask me, because I've done this for other applications like Skype and they work fine.

Bottom line, how difficult would it be to make the default application icon in line with the macOS style?