Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #1
kari-star
kari-star began at the beginning.

Device: boox poke2
Small e-paper reader that supports android reader apps?

I'm thinking about replacing my Boox Poke2 - the screen is cracked, which I can live with, but the battery has started to tank as well after just 16 months. I LOVE the size of the Poke2 and the ability to read from a lot of apps - I'm routinely bouncing between the kobo, kindle, and Libby (overdrive) apps. I also love the convenience of sharing libraries for kindle with my spouse. I don't, however, want a kindle reader.

Any other epaper reader recommendations that have this functionality and are on the smaller size? I'd even be ok with rooting an ereader and installing android if the price and hardware is right. I was disappointed at the fragility of the Boox for the price and don't want another one.

(I have used calibre on the past when I was using a kobo mini and have considered one of the newer kobos but would prefer the app option. I don't have a lot of downtime to spend organizing my libraries. Honestly if I have downtime I just want to read.)

Thanks for your help!
kari-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
If you want another Boox Poke, the Boox Poke 3 is available from Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/boox-po...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

There is also the Xiaomi Inkpalm 5, which is a 5" reader, but you have to do some finagling with it to get it switched over from Chinese to English language. It doesn't seem to be too difficult. I've been thinking about getting one of these.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...13920372%22%7D
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:13 PM   #3
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
You could get a Boyue Likebook P6 which is a 6 inch ereader with sunken screen, 300ppi and without yellow light, just blue. It has Android 8.1 and you can install whatever App you want.

You can also buy an Inkbook Calypso Plus. Six inch with flush screen and yellow light but only 212ppi. It's also based on Android 8.1 and hardware is supplied by Boyue.

You could go with Tolino ereaders for rooting but the problem is, the six inch devices are all based on Android 4, so you will have to look out for older versions of some Apps you might want to use.
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:19 PM   #4
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I have the A5 Pro, which I use as my main reader. Works great as both a phone and as a reader/music&podcast player.

It's durable, has had good battery life. I accidentally dropped it on a cliff from about a meter - it hit pure rock, bounced once and slid for another meter on the rocky surface. Some edges got a bit roughed up, but going over it with a nail file it turned smooth again. Now I can hardly even see any marks and the device works perfectly.

It might be a bit more expensive than a Poke 3, and you might not like the aspect ratio. For me it's been perfect, though. (You could also look into the cheaper A5 (non-pro) if you only want to use it as a reader and music player (the sound quality through headphones is fantastic!)).
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote