Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2021, 12:31 PM   #676
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For what it's worth I *think* the elipsa is using an Allwinner chip; the A50 --> https://linux-sunxi.org/A50
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #677
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Close enough: it's an AW B300, actually .

The Sage is probably using the same. I'm betting the Libra 2 still runs on an i.MX6SLL, though (that's an educated guess based on the public specs and the fact that NTX has never worked with UP AllWinner SoCs).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-10-2021 at 01:43 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:31 PM   #678
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not with an Elipsa but that's been fairly common with my Kobo ereaders. To give you some hope, 4.28.18220 allows my Forma and Clara HD to connect to USB ports that were previously unusable so the next firmware release for the Elipsa may help with your issue.
Useful if so.

In other questions, does the beta "turn off Bluetooth" button actually doing anything? I've been trying to turn it off in hopes of getting better battery life but it doesn't really indicate whether turning it off worked.

For that matter, is Bluetooth still using power while KOreader is running?
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:38 PM   #679
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We do not explicitly kill BT power, no. I haven't actually looked into it much further, as I was kinda waiting for the Nickel behavior to at least be consistent ;p.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:56 PM   #680
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
We do not explicitly kill BT power, no. I haven't actually looked into it much further, as I was kinda waiting for the Nickel behavior to at least be consistent ;p.
I can see how that would be.

I look forward to the next official firmware release, because man, I charged to full yesterday, read a 300-page book since then, and I'm already at 80%. I mean, I know not to trust the battery gauge, but it makes me feel like I can't trust the device enough to take it out for a weekend.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:47 AM   #681
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That doesn't seem all that bad, to be honest. (Can't quite judge yet, though, I've only been reading manga/comics on the Elipsa, so that means a lot of dithering patterns and a lot of flashes, precisely the patterns that makes the screen draw the most power).
Old 10-13-2021, 01:53 PM   #682
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Quote:
That doesn't seem all that bad, to be honest. (Can't quite judge yet, though, I've only been reading manga/comics on the Elipsa, so that means a lot of dithering patterns and a lot of flashes, precisely the patterns that makes the screen draw the most power).
I mean, that implies it won't last more than a day or three of reading regular epubs. I also see that after powering on this morning it's at 69%, which is another 10% gone just from sitting there with the power off.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:05 PM   #683
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
(Can't quite judge yet, though, I've only been reading manga/comics on the Elipsa, so that means a lot of dithering patterns and a lot of flashes, precisely the patterns that makes the screen draw the most power).
that's a common use case for me as well - I'm curious, what kind of battery life are you seeing?
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:02 AM   #684
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I’ve noticed that the best way to annotate ebooks is to select “swipe only” for navigation. The default setting (tap & swipe) gets in the way of annotation because the pages keep turning on me while I am annotating. My wresting hand is often interpreted as a tap, especially when annotating near the edges. It’s possible to write on one page then suddenly be writing on the next or previous.

Now I only run into problems when I am annotating something in the middle of the page. My wrist can accidentally activate the menu. It’s not usually a problem unless I am jotting notes at the top or bottom of the page.

Anybody else notice this?

Obviously, the best solution is to learn to annotate with your wrist suspended in the air with the stylus tip being the only point of contact, but this leads to poor handwriting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is my solution for palm rejection glitches. I find that no matter the device, part of the issue is proximity of the stylus to the screen in order to activate palm rejection (which the Elipsa does have, you just have to be closer with some devices) . Many don't activate until you're close, which means if you lift the stylus too much while pausing, thinking (or just point the tip away while doing so) then the rejection deactivates. Other devices are more sensitive and let you pull your hand farther away, but then this gets annoying if you want to use the same hand you use to write to navigate. You have to manoeuvre the tip away and keep it away while navigating with one of your fingers. I also think the bigger your hand the worse the issue since a bigger hand will hold the pen in resting position farther from the screen.

I've had issues with Apple, Samsung, Lenovo, HP HTC, etc. Using both Wacom AES and EMR (and whatever Apple uses). So while they might finetune the software or whatever I doubt ti will ever be perfect for me and others (for some definitely, but it's one of those can't please everybody all the time things).

Even so, I also turned on the swipe only for navigation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211014_234232 B.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	189619  

Last edited by Nightyume; 10-15-2021 at 01:08 AM.
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:29 PM   #685
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
that's a common use case for me as well - I'm curious, what kind of battery life are you seeing?
You're not going to like my answer: Good enough that it hasn't bothered me? .

(I, err, don't particularly care much about the Elipsa's battery life: it's chunky enough that it won't ever travel further than my room).

If I were to quantify it, I'd say it lasts roughly twice as long as my Forma, which seems consistent given the difference in battery capacity. And the Forma's battery life has never bothered me either, even if it's not that great.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:06 PM   #686
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You're not going to like my answer: Good enough that it hasn't bothered me? .

(I, err, don't particularly care much about the Elipsa's battery life: it's chunky enough that it won't ever travel further than my room).

If I were to quantify it, I'd say it lasts roughly twice as long as my Forma, which seems consistent given the difference in battery capacity. And the Forma's battery life has never bothered me either, even if it's not that great.
Thanks for the answer. See, that's the strange part. I feel like Forma gave me significantly more battery life than the Elipsa while using KOReader. But then again, maybe I formed an opinion early on before some of the Elipsa fixes were merged (which, I believe, should result in better battery life?)

I can't say it bothers me, but it's the first Kobo that actually feels like I'm charging it all the time.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:39 PM   #687
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@pickyaxe: The first couple of KOReader releases were keeping two cores online at *all time* on the Elipsa. I tweaked that a few weeks ago, meaning it just hit today's stable. That might have been a factor .
Old 10-19-2021, 01:59 AM   #688
pickyaxe
Addict

Quote:
@pickyaxe: The first couple of KOReader releases were keeping two cores online at *all time* on the Elipsa. I tweaked that a few weeks ago, meaning it just hit today's stable. That might have been a factor .
I've said this like a dozen times now but big thanks for doing that work. I've been running nightly so I have been using that fix since it landed there.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:15 PM   #689
Numnumnum
Numnumnum began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I have a question about annotating with the stylus on these new kobo devices. I’m not much interested in marking up the book with the pen, mainly because those mark ups are locked into the device. But I am interested in using the highlight/notes functionality with the pen, Because those notes will sync between devices and our exportable through caliber. Is it possible to use the stylus to write into that notes field when you highlight text? That would be much better than using the annoying touch keyboard on the kobo. Will that handwriting be converted into text which can then be exported through calibre or is that functionality still like it’s always been on the old Kobos and is finger input only?

All of the reviews and hands-on videos that I could find only focus on the writing capability of the stylus not on the notes field itself.
Numnumnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:09 PM   #690
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Quote:
Oh, yeah, that could make a difference!

Thanks for all your hard work keeping these devices up to par!