Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2022, 04:20 PM   #1
jmite
jmite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T1
Question Automatically sync handwritten notes with Dropbox

I'm wondering, is there a way to automatically sync handwritten notes on my Elipsa to dropbox?

Right now there's the "export" option but it is quite long (I have to choose to export whole notebook, then choose dropbox, then choose file format, then say yes to overwrite, then exit the "sync complete" box).
And if I forget to do this, then my notes are not synced at all.

1. Is there a way to have my handwritten notebooks automatically export to dropbox, the way that notes on a dropbox PDF do?

2. If not, is there an easier way to export the notes to PDF, maybe with NickelMenu or something? So that it's easier, even if I'm doing it manually?

The "hack" I'm currently considering is just putting a blank pdf with a bunch of pages in dropbox and writing on it instead of the notebook, since it syncs automatically. But surely there's a better way?
jmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:22 PM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
I agree with you that there needs to be an easier way, especially automatic, but it’s not there yet. Exporting means converting right now, too. That’s not optimal for me. For some reason, Kobo doesn’t allow the exporting of the original .nebo file.

What I do isn’t automatic. I periodically mount my Elipsa onto my computer, then manually drag the .nebo files into a backup folder. If I have to restore my Elipsa from scratch, I just drag them back. It’s an old school solution for a high tech problem. Haha

I do want to explore that PDF option. I didn’t realize the changes were synced immediately. I, admittedly, haven’t explored much the PDF aspects of note taking on my Elipsa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2022, 07:24 PM   #3
cpimentel
Enthusiast
cpimentel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I've considered the option to sync a blank PDF or one with a "template" on it. I gave up once I faced a problem with document notes, not notes on notebook, not being saved to the files once you leave the viewer.

I've lost a few hours of studying taking not on a PDF because of that. I was able to reproduce to many files so I reported to Kobo.

This is easy to reproduce if you want to make sure your firmware works: set your kobo to turn off automatically, open a pdf, take note, leave the viewer open with you pdf. After it is turned off, turn it on and your notes won't be in the PDF.

If you remember to close the PDF once you are done, you are good to go.

As for notebooks backup, I used to do like Cootey. Now days I just don't trust the device to store my notebooks so I just use it for draft notes.

I have a strong opinion on what the note taking is for Kobo, but... that would be a rant, not some suggestion.
cpimentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:43 PM   #4
jmite
jmite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T1
Yikes, that is bad... thanks for the heads up, I definitely would have lost some notes doing the PDF thing that way.
jmite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dropbox, elipsa, handwriting, notes, sync