Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2022, 07:10 PM   #16
GeniusJ
Connoisseur
GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Here we are on 8/11 and I can still email MOBI files to my Kindle, and the "Send to Kindle" app still doesn't send epubs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
GeniusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:35 PM   #17
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
There are still three weeks left in August.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:11 PM   #18
Warbird61
Warbird61 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusJ View Post
Here we are on 8/11 and I can still email MOBI files to my Kindle, and the "Send to Kindle" app still doesn't send epubs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yep,my experience.
Warbird61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:13 AM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Hmm... Perhaps the feature will be enabled on The 33rd of August?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 01:11 PM   #20
MedioPollo30
MedioPollo30 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW SE
Quote:
Testing began in August.

Until the end of the year, it will not be available to everyone.

That is the information I have been given from Amazon.
MedioPollo30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 06:19 PM   #21
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Big problem for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
You can still sideload these files, correct? Just not send to kindle with the email system?

I like the mobi format much better then the converted epubs. So Kindle has lost the main advantage that it had for me.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:27 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgoforth View Post
I like the mobi format much better then the converted epubs. So Kindle has lost the main advantage that it had for me.
Out of curiosity, what do you like about the mobi format? The lack of CSS support? The lack of sizing control for images? The great support for multiple fonts and variants?

Not to mention that the majority of books that you are reading as mobi were likely converted by Amazon from other formats including epub.

And again out of curiosity, how old are your two Kindles that they are receiving mobi format from Amazon?

Last edited by DNSB; 08-15-2022 at 11:36 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:43 AM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgoforth View Post
The pdb formats on the Palm are worse than mobi, but really mobi / prc / azw as in KF7 or earlier is pretty poor all it does is:
Built-in font(s) for serif, sans, monospace (fonts vary by model).
Normal, bold, italic and bold-italic
Left, right, center or justified
Internal links to anchors work
Page breaks only work if epub submitted to KDP and it starts a new internal file.
images work best as a separate paragraph.
No publisher embedded fonts.
Earlier HTML version than epub2 or KF8/azw3

The azw3 is KF8 and is similar to epub2. CSS, embedded fonts, newer HTML version.

Except for Fixed Layout (which IMO are not proper ebooks), KDP hasn't accepted mobi uploads for years and epub is preferred over docx, preferred over doc.

The ONLY use for plain mobi / azw /prc /KF7 is ancient Kindles with
less than 3.4.3 Firmware. The DXG (B009) is the only model newer than the Kindle Keyboard 3 limited to old mobi.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

There is "dual mobi". It's actually KF7 mobi and KF8 azw3 in a single file and the ONLY use is distribution of Kindle compatible files outside Amazon. Amazon never delivers it as they know which model of Kindle you have.

For you own use it's best to never use Send to Kindle but convert epub to azw3 on Calibre and sideload / USB transfer. It's quicker, doesn't get messed up by Amazon and you aren't giving them a copy.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:11 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@Quoth, Amazon does not call Mobi KF7. At least not that I've ever seen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:23 PM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@Quoth, Amazon does not call Mobi KF7. At least not that I've ever seen.
Did I claim they did?

Actually there are a few different formats that are used in .mobi files, but KF7 (Kindle Format 7) is the basic ebook format similar to .prc and .azw is usually a more or later encrypted version. Amazon bought in mobipocket two years before they released the Kindle. I've no idea if there is KF6 or KF9. I presume the more encrypted annoying KFX means Kindle Format 10.

As well as the basic reflowable HTML based KF7, there are interactive mobi files and fixed layout format mobi files. I think azw3 has two common formats, the KF8 which is similar to epub2 and a version of PDF (fixed layout).

IMO "real" ebooks are never fixed layout, always have pages, but the the text flows to fit no matter font size, are not interactive and the only content presented is text and images. Images to have no animation or transparency. No overlapping text / images. Basically a way of consuming books on a paged electronic screen. I do think that it's a shame that a browser can't treat the window/screen as user defined "paper size" and paginate like for a printer. If you define a paper size to match the browser window size and select Print Preview (on browers/OS that support it) you can almost get an ebook experience in a browser as all transparency, animation and interactive features are gone.

No surprise that ebooks migrated to HTML in early 2000s and soon added CSS. The Kindle was late to the ebook party and later still to CSS party.
Sony upgraded from LRF to ePub. Amazon should have done the same, but they had previously fallen out with Adobe over encryption costs.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:32 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Did I claim they did?

Actually there are a few different formats that are used in .mobi files, but KF7 (Kindle Format 7) is the basic ebook format similar to .prc and .azw is usually a more or later encrypted version. Amazon bought in mobipocket two years before they released the Kindle. I've no idea if there is KF6 or KF9. I presume the more encrypted annoying KFX means Kindle Format 10.

As well as the basic reflowable HTML based KF7, there are interactive mobi files and fixed layout format mobi files. I think azw3 has two common formats, the KF8 which is similar to epub2 and a version of PDF (fixed layout).

IMO "real" ebooks are never fixed layout, always have pages, but the the text flows to fit no matter font size, are not interactive and the only content presented is text and images. Images to have no animation or transparency. No overlapping text / images. Basically a way of consuming books on a paged electronic screen. I do think that it's a shame that a browser can't treat the window/screen as user defined "paper size" and paginate like for a printer. If you define a paper size to match the browser window size and select Print Preview (on browers/OS that support it) you can almost get an ebook experience in a browser as all transparency, animation and interactive features are gone.

No surprise that ebooks migrated to HTML in early 2000s and soon added CSS. The Kindle was late to the ebook party and later still to CSS party.
Sony upgraded from LRF to ePub. Amazon should have done the same, but they had previously fallen out with Adobe over encryption costs.
KF7 is wrong. Amazon calls it Mobi. So please don't use a made up name for Mobi. As for KFX, it's just KFX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:06 PM   #27
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The ONLY use for plain mobi / azw /prc /KF7 is ancient Kindles with
less than 3.4.3 Firmware.
amazon still sells periodical issues and subscriptions, which are available as mobi and not available as KF8/azw3.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:07 PM   #28
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
KF7 is wrong. Amazon calls it Mobi. So please don't use a made up name for Mobi. As for KFX, it's just KFX.
Amazon is inconsistent in naming. I have seen MOBI7 and FF7 used in Amazon’s documentation. KF7 seems a reasonable name to me.

There was a post by someone who worked for Amazon that confirmed KFX is short for kindle format 10.

I have no idea what happened to number 9.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:43 PM   #29
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Amazon is inconsistent in naming. I have seen MOBI7 and FF7 used in Amazon’s documentation. KF7 seems a reasonable name to me.

There was a post by someone who worked for Amazon that confirmed KFX is short for kindle format 10.

I have no idea what happened to number 9.
Either because of superstition (which a lot of Asian companies do) or just for the aesthetics (looking at you Samsung and Apple).
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:23 PM   #30
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
amazon still sells periodical issues and subscriptions, which are available as mobi and not available as KF8/azw3.
That is true. However most magazines are also available in KFX format which adds enhanced typesetting features. Those are delivered to the iOS, Android, Fire apps but not e-ink Kindles for some reason.