Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-03-2021, 06:54 AM   #1
igufi
newbie-in-training
igufi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505
Question Calibre w/ Kobo - highlights/Annotations sync problem

I'm trying to get a plugin to work that syncs Calibre 5.19 highlights to Readwise. It seems to do OK when the highlights on epub books are created in the Calibre Viewer. But for some reason none of the highlights I've created in Kobo Aura ONE are visible in Calibre when I open the same book via Calibre View and so they are "invisible" for the plugin as well.

If I use the Annotations-plugin, it does find all the highlights from the connected Kobo device and adds them to the metadata of the book in my library - but still those highlights/annotations are not visible in the Calibre Viewer (as highlights).

How can I combine the in-device created highlights that the Annotation plugin finds with the highlights that Calibre Viewer creates? How can I keep highlights in epub files on the local library and the highlights in the epub files on the Kobo device in sync?
igufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:34 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The short answer: You can't.

The Annotations plugin is a lot older than the annotations in the calibre viewer. And completely independent of them. The plugin puts the annotation in a column. There is no syncing with the viewer's annotations. Someday, I plan to do something about it, but, I haven't yet.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:51 AM   #3
igufi
newbie-in-training

Thank you for the update.

Does the same apply to other ebook readers, e.g. Kindle with side-loaded books and in-device highlights?
Old 06-03-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
AFAIK, you can use Kobo Utilities to get annotations from Kobo into clipboard, or use Annotations to get annotations from Kobo or Kindle into a column in Calibre, then you can copy & paste elsewhere.

No sync.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:06 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igufi View Post
Does the same apply to other ebook readers, e.g. Kindle with side-loaded books and in-device highlights?
Yes, the Annotations plugin can get annotation from several different devices but, it only puts them into a column. And, for some of the devices, there is no enough information where the annotations are fetched from to add them as calibre viewer annotations.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:43 AM   #6
igufi
newbie-in-training

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And, for some of the devices, there is no enough information where the annotations are fetched from to add them as calibre viewer annotations.
Are there any devices on the market today that would allow highlights to be synched to Calibre and shown side-by-side with the native Calibre 5.x annotation tool?
Old 06-04-2021, 03:03 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by igufi View Post
Are there any devices on the market today that would allow highlights to be synched to Calibre and shown side-by-side with the native Calibre 5.x annotation tool?
No, but just use any android/iOS phone/tablet and the calibre content server to read your books.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 12:18 AM   #8
roginissaf
roginissaf began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
Kobo reader annotations in Calibre viewer syncing

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The short answer: You can't.

The Annotations plugin is a lot older than the annotations in the calibre viewer. And completely independent of them. The plugin puts the annotation in a column. There is no syncing with the viewer's annotations. Someday, I plan to do something about it, but, I haven't yet.
This was a long time ago. Has it been implemented since?
roginissaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:06 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roginissaf View Post
This was a long time ago. Has it been implemented since?
No, it hasn't. And is there any reason that you didn't just look at the first post in the Annotations plugin thread to see what was supported?

And please don't ask when I will do it. Honestly, I wouldn't use it myself (unless maybe Kovid makes it easy to use annotations with the editor) and things like this usually happen when I am bored or get some sort of inspiration. Unfortunately, work is occupying enough of the developer's corner of my brain, that I haven't been doing much else. And there are some significant issues with doing it. For epubs and PDFs, it might be "easy", but other not for other formats, it will not be.