Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-28-2022, 09:28 PM   #16
tboy2000
tboy2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Google Play Books ePub
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Sorry, but I can't resist. Friendly advice: using spaces like that is the true sign of gaucherie.

I had to use spaces. When I pasted the code without spaces it was censored with ***** for some reason.

Try it!
tboy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:33 PM   #17
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboy2000 View Post

<span style="font-size: 1em;">The sky can be very pretty when it's moody which is the one good thing about a storm.
You definitely want to replace that span with the following:

Code:
<p>The sky can be very pretty when it's moody which is the one good thing about a storm.</p>
and in your attached css stylesheet:

Code:
p {text-indent:1.2em}
I highly recommend saving yourself many hours worth of and NOT putting those [PRE]&160;[/PRE]
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:52 PM   #18
tboy2000

That code was already in the epub when I used an online pdf to epub convertor. I guess the online service did it. Cheers!
Old 07-29-2022, 06:27 AM   #19
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, online/automated converters often put some ugly coding when converting… especially if you are using a pdf as your source doc.
You can easily replace those spans in Sigil using the tag-mechanic plug-in. Also, if your paragraphs all have a basic <p> tag then all you need to do for your spacing is add the
p {text-indent: 1.2em}
to your attached style sheet.
If it is not a basic paragraph tag and has something like
<p class="calibre2">
Then you can do a simple find/replace to fix it:

Find: <p class="calibre2">
Replace: <p>

Should take about 30 seconds to do all that in Sigil.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:42 AM   #20
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
<p> is your basic paragraph style. Mine is this:

p {
margin-top:0.0em;
margin-bottom:0.0em;
text-indent:1.5em;
text-align:justify;
}

You don't need to add a "class" unless you're doing something different, as in <p class="first"> which for me is this:

p.first {
margin-top:0.5em;
margin-bottom: 0.0em;
text-indent:0.0em;
}

My entire style sheet is at https://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com/ which you are welcome to borrow or adapt.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:55 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
<p> is your basic paragraph style. Mine is this:

p {
margin-top:0.0em;
margin-bottom:0.0em;
text-indent:1.5em;
}

You don't need to add a "class" unless you're doing something different, as in <p class="first"> which for me is this:

p.first {
margin-top:0.5em;
margin-bottom: 0.0em;
text-indent:0.0em;
}

My entire style sheet is at https://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com/ which you are welcome to borrow or adapt.
Drop the justify. Put it in body only.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:58 AM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
That code was already in the epub when I used an online pdf to epub convertor. I guess the online service did it. Cheers!
and not to put too fine a point on it, but Sigil is not a word processor. You should not be typing a manuscript in it.

IF you had used Word, or Pages, Open Office, Libre Office, etc and used STYLES and HEADINGS, your paragraph style would already exist and already have the desired indent. I take it that you didn't do that?

Using spaces is, flatly, not going to work. It's not merely gaucherie, as observed by Hob--it's not going to work. There are intake mechanisms, at various retailers, that would strip those right the hell out.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:38 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
and not to put too fine a point on it, but Sigil is not a word processor. You should not be typing a manuscript in it.

IF you had used Word, or Pages, Open Office, Libre Office, etc and used STYLES and HEADINGS, your paragraph style would already exist and already have the desired indent. I take it that you didn't do that?

Using spaces is, flatly, not going to work. It's not merely gaucherie, as observed by Hob--it's not going to work. There are intake mechanisms, at various retailers, that would strip those right the hell out.

Hitch
Not only that, but most reading software ignore multiple spaces and convert them into just one space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 02:04 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not only that, but most reading software ignore multiple spaces and convert them into just one space.
There's no reading software that I know that will compress non-breaking space characters or entities. They're not the type of whitespace that tends to get compressed. It's still a bad idea to use non-breaking spaces to achieve paragraph indentation, but there's little worry that they will get compressed. More like they'll just get stripped out upstream someplace like Hitch mentioned.

And having said all that... it's time to remind everyone that there is nothing in this conversation that's Sigil specific. This is all html/css/epub-centric.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-30-2022 at 09:38 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:48 PM   #25
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

But, but, but I mentioned the totally awesome Sigil plug-in Tag Mechanic…
Old 07-30-2022, 07:20 PM   #26
tboy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

Hitch
No I didn't. I wrote it all out in Word but did not use CSS. Then I pasted my story into Affinity Publisher and did my layout and exported to PDF. Managed to print my books fine with Lulu. Then I wanted to upload to Play Books for my personal library only but didn't like the PDF result. Finally online converted to ePub but once uploaded to Play Books all my formatting was lost. So manually fixing everything in Sigil. That's it all in a nutshell. 😝
Old 07-30-2022, 07:21 PM   #27
tboy2000

So much info and help. Greatly appreciated gentleman!
Old 07-30-2022, 08:31 PM   #28
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
(Snip) apologies, veered off topic.

Last edited by phillipgessert; 07-30-2022 at 10:12 PM.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 02:32 PM   #29
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
I wrote it all out in Word [...]

[...]

Then I pasted my story into Affinity Publisher and did my layout and exported to PDF.

[...]

Then I wanted to upload to Play Books [...].

[...]

Finally online converted to ePub [...]
PDF is the absolute worst format to convert from. ANYTHING would be better than that.

And you have no excuse, you have the original DOCX source files.

Why is Converting From PDF So Horrible?

PDF is only good as a final (output) format. It is designed for Print, not ebooks.

PDF converted into anything will be extremely problematic, because you have to redo:
  • Text
  • Formatting
    • Italics/Bold/Headings
  • Images
    • Captions
  • Blockquotes
  • Alignment
    • Left/Center/Right
  • [...]

When you go from something like DOCX->EPUB, all that information gets carried over automatically.

If you want more information, see my post in:

What Should You Do Instead?

Go back to your DOCX / Word document and use Styles!!!

I highly recommend watching these 2 videos:

within ~20 minutes, you'll learn how to clean up your documents and save yourself HUNDREDS OF HOURS of needless pain/suffering.

For more info, see my posts in:

especially Posts #46, #50, and #52.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:30 PM   #30
tboy2000

Thank you. Yes I used PDF for print to LuLu service. Didn't know it was bad for ebooks. Learned. Thank you.

Tags
indent, tabs