Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2022, 07:34 AM   #1
frozen clara
frozen clara began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Unhappy Noobie here, how to update firmware and roll back safely?

Hello, I have the Clara HD on software version 4.21.15 since a long time ago, and when I first bought it, I've modified it in many ways (upgraded memory sdcard, software patches, landscape mode, night mode, modified fonts, koreader and so on), but now I don't remember exactly all I've done lol, so maybe it will be impossible to replicate if the update won't keep them.

Now I want to refresh it by updating it to the latest version (with patches available ofc) but I'm scared that, by updating it, I'll lose all those mods.

Is there a safe way to retain those modifications? I did a full backup, creating a full image of the sdcard. After I've updated the software version, can I roll back to my current state by just flashing the image I've just created? (literally downgrading to a backup that has an older version of the software). Also, is it worth updating to the newest version? Never used wifi, I use Calibre to manage my books

Thanks in advance.
frozen clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:35 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'm no help to your actual question. But don't be scared to just update. You can apply patches as you see things that bother you. Some things that used to require a patch (advanced font control for sideloaded fonts) no longer require a patch. And it could well be that some patches you apply, you really don't need,

I don't use KOreader. if you always use that, maybe it's not worth an update. I couldn't say.

But Nickle has had some nice little improvements. I like no longer needing the advanced font control patch. I also like that Kobo now highlights when you click one of the icons at the top. There's been other things that I am forgetting.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2022, 03:19 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen clara View Post
Hello, I have the Clara HD on software version 4.21.15 since a long time ago, and when I first bought it, I've modified it in many ways (upgraded memory sdcard, software patches, landscape mode, night mode, modified fonts, koreader and so on), but now I don't remember exactly all I've done lol, so maybe it will be impossible to replicate if the update won't keep them.
Patches, KOReader, your Fonts, Landscape mode, night mode will all still work with 4.32. You will have to redo the patches. You will have to reinstall KFMon. I also suggest you install NickelMenu to do some of the things you want to do.

Have a read of the NickelMenu thread and also read the threads on 4.32.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:29 PM   #4
frozen clara
frozen clara began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Patches, KOReader, your Fonts, Landscape mode, night mode will all still work with 4.32. You will have to redo the patches. You will have to reinstall KFMon. I also suggest you install NickelMenu to do some of the things you want to do.

Have a read of the NickelMenu thread and also read the threads on 4.32.
I was nervous but updated, everything worked fine! Forgot to mention that I already had nickelmenu (used for screenshots, reverse landscape mode..), the update kept it too! Is KFMon important that I should reinstall it?
frozen clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:26 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen clara View Post
I was nervous but updated, everything worked fine! Forgot to mention that I already had nickelmenu (used for screenshots, reverse landscape mode..), the update kept it too! Is KFMon important that I should reinstall it?
If you usew KFMon to launch KOReader then yes, KFMon will need to be reinstalled.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
advice, clara hd, help for a newbie, update