Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #31
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by p38lightning View Post
Getting the following message when running the most recent batch file: Cannot disable downloads - Kindle for PC is not installed at expected location.

My Kindle for PC is on my C drive under Amazon/Kindle in Program Files (x86).

Any help appreciated.
The batch file checks for the Kindle for PC program being installed as a program for a single user in the most common location. In some cases the program is installed for all users instead. That is most likely the case for you.

I can update the batch file, but I would need to know where the installer has placed the folder that needs to be replaced in order to disable the downloading of newer software. The folder is called "updates" and will be a subfolder of something Kindle or Amazon related.

If you can find where that folder is on your system and let me know the location then I will be able to update the batch file to accommodate it.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #32
Frøya
Frøya began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 4
My K4PC updated itself to 1.30 this morning (from 1.17) when I opened it to download a new book. I've used it the past couple of days without any issues and then today suddenly it was a new version being installed without me being asked if I wanted it Not happy
I've had K4PC 1.17 for the last few years, re-installed it when I switched computers in March
Frøya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2020, 12:23 PM   #33
ToeRag
ToeRag began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 (2) & Kindle Fire (2)
File locations different --- fails

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Another way to disable Kindle for PC updates is to replace the "updates" folder with a file of the same name. That prevents an update from being downloaded. Kindle for PC will still ask if you want to download the new update each time it is restarted, but it will not be able to do so.

I have created a simple Windows batch file to preform this change. See attached.

------

Update: Oops, I accidentally used the wrong folder in the first version of the batch file. I apologize to anyone who downloaded this previously.

The current version of the batch will fix the broken folder created by the previous version, but you will need to re-register Kindle for PC afterwards. Sorry!
I keep getting a fail when running the batch file...

my path is different?
C:\Users\tomc\AppData\Local\Amazon\SendToKindle

I tried renaming but still failed ???
(edit) I'm still on version 1.1.1.250
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle for PC.PNG
Views:	218
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	183013  

Last edited by ToeRag; 10-27-2020 at 12:32 PM.
ToeRag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #34
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeRag View Post
I keep getting a fail when running the batch file...

my path is different?
C:\Users\tomc\AppData\Local\Amazon\SendToKindle

I tried renaming but still failed ???
(edit) I'm still on version 1.1.1.250
The batch file is for the "Kindle for PC" software and will only work when it is installed in the default location for a single user.

"Send to Kindle" is a different program.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:58 PM   #35
p38lightning
Zealot
p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Lenovo Tab M9
My Kindle for PC is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Amazon\Kindle. I just thoroughly checked the Kindle folder at that address and there is no "Updates" folder or file at all. I even checked where my Kindle d/l's go in Documents\My Kindle Content. I have a workaround in that I can d/l the AZW file from my Content and Devices drop down on Amazon and then simply use Calibre to pick it up from where it downloads and then convert to ePub. It is simple and it works. I applaud your efforts but am clueless as to why/where the Updates folder is. Thanks for your help.
p38lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2020, 04:13 PM   #36
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
What I did was delete the 'updates' folder and replaced it with a readonly file named 'updates' (no extension). I hope that is enough to confuse it.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:33 PM   #37
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
What I did was delete the 'updates' folder and replaced it with a readonly file named 'updates' (no extension). I hope that is enough to confuse it.
It doesn't even need to be read only. Just having a file with that name is enough to cause the update process to fail.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:36 PM   #38
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My Kindle for PC is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Amazon\Kindle. I just thoroughly checked the Kindle folder at that address and there is no "Updates" folder or file at all. I even checked where my Kindle d/l's go in Documents\My Kindle Content. I have a workaround in that I can d/l the AZW file from my Content and Devices drop down on Amazon and then simply use Calibre to pick it up from where it downloads and then convert to ePub. It is simple and it works. I applaud your efforts but am clueless as to why/where the Updates folder is. Thanks for your help.
Kindle for PC is installed for all users on your system.

It is possible that the updates folder is in the same place as it would be for a single user Kindle for PC installation. Open an explorer window and paste in this location to look for it:

%LocalAppData%\Amazon\Kindle

If that is the right place you will see folders with names like Cache, crashdump, storage, and updates.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:05 PM   #39
p38lightning
Zealot
p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Lenovo Tab M9
Cache and Storage are the only two folders at that address. Storage is empty and Cache does not contain "Updates". Hidden folder issue(s)?
p38lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:41 AM   #40
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Cache and Storage are the only two folders at that address. Storage is empty and Cache does not contain "Updates". Hidden folder issue(s)?
I doubt that the updates folder would be hidden. Perhaps a different technique is used for handling updates when K4PC is installed for all users.

I am out of ideas.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:52 AM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
You might want to check the Public user folder or the ProgramData folder.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:46 AM   #42
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I have what is probably a very stupid question, but here goes...

Is the a specific location we're supposed to put the bat file itself, or can it be opened from anywhere on the same drive as the Kindle folder itself?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:50 AM   #43
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I have what is probably a very stupid question, but here goes...

Is the a specific location we're supposed to put the bat file itself, or can it be opened from anywhere on the same drive as the Kindle folder itself?
Run it from anywhere you like. On my windows10 VM I just ran it from the shared folder with my main Lunix PC.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:45 PM   #44
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Run it from anywhere you like. On my windows10 VM I just ran it from the shared folder with my main Lunix PC.

bernie
Thank you!

I got back the message "Kindle4PC downloads are now disabled" after clicking on it.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:35 PM   #45
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Running KindleForPC on Linux under WINE (wrapped by PlayOnLinux) I did the following:

Code:
$ cd ~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/kindle_1.17/drive_c/Program Files/Amazon/Kindle

$ chmod 000 renderer-test.exe  (was previously mode 755)

$ cd ..

$ chmod 555 Kindle  (was previously mode 755)
Note: The "kindle_1.17" you see in the pathname right after "wineprefix" above is what I chose to call my PlayOnLinux installation. That part of your path may be different, depending on what you named your installation.

I then started KindleForPC a couple of times and verified that it always remained at the currently installed version 1.17. It did. And I never got any messages about "update available" either.

Next, I opened KindleForPC again, picked a random book from the display of titles (that was not currently downloaded), right-clicked on it and chose "download". Then I verified that the download successfully showed up in my "My Kindle Content" directory. It did. This is the only functionality I need from KindleForPC.

I actually don't use KindleForPC anymore. A few years ago I switched over to using the "Download for USB Transfer" method instead. But it was good for me to review usage of KindleForPC, and keep my installation "up to date" using the strategies described here to keep it from updating itself.

I run nightly backups on all of my family's computers, and keep each individual daily backup for 365 days. So if KindleForPC does manage to update on me, I have one year to notice, and restore from backup. After that, I guess I'd have to reinstall and re-register the program from scratch. Amazon may, and probably will at some point, make re-registering a no-go. So my preferred method of getting things back on track after an unexpected update would be to restore from backup. But Amazon could thwart that as well, if they tried hard enough.

Last edited by haertig; 10-28-2020 at 02:38 PM.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, update