Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Collections field blank when K3 is connected

I just noticed (duh!) that when I have my Kindle3 connected to calibre, and I look at the books on my device, there's a collections field - but it's blank. And almost all my books are in collections. is there some plugin or something that I'm missing to be able to read which collections my books are in when they're on the kindle?

I'm using calibre 8.6.2 under Windows 7.

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 08-02-2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: eta: system info
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Perfectly normal, it's not supported .

Use meme's Kindle Collections plugin if you want to view/edit collections on a Kindle.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do have the Kindle Collections plugin, but it would be handy to see which collections a book is in, in the library view. ah, well. One can't have everything.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Uh! Becca

It will do that if you set it up
Code:
Import Collections to Calibre from your Kindle
The actual configuration instruction info is hidden in a spoiler
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...99&postcount=1
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard

hm. I'll have to play with it more - I saw that it could show me which books were in what collection, by collection, but not whether a book was in more than one collection. Thanks for the tip on this.

eta: Maybe I'm missing something but I didn't see a report that would give me this:

Book 1 Author Collection1, Collection2
Book 2 Author Collection1, Collection 3

-becca

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 08-03-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Advert
Old 08-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
hm. I'll have to play with it more - I saw that it could show me which books were in what collection, by collection, but not whether a book was in more than one collection. Thanks for the tip on this.

eta: Maybe I'm missing something but I didn't see a report that would give me this:

Book 1 Author Collection1, Collection2
Book 2 Author Collection1, Collection 3

-becca
My wife has the K4nt now (I did get it for her. It just took some time for her to want to use it), so I can't test, but I remember multiples.

Is your column a Tag like column?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I use the Tag field for the determination of which book goes in which collection - I didn't know what I was doing when I set that up, or I would have used a custom collection, but now I'm stuck with it. Oh, well - it mostly works pretty well.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I use the Tag field for the determination of which book goes in which collection - I didn't know what I was doing when I set that up, or I would have used a custom collection, but now I'm stuck with it. Oh, well - it mostly works pretty well.
You can create that custom column now, and import the collections on your kindle into it with the plugin. Your Collection column will then contain ALL collections that are on the device. You can then edit it however you want, and then use this column to create collections with the plugin.

If you have the plugin set up to ignore kindle-only collections, you can delete collections from this column, and they will still stay on the kindle.

Edit: I meant to say that collections deleted completely from the column (as in not books in them) will not be changed on the kindle if you have ignore kindle-only collections enabled.

Last edited by tilia; 08-04-2012 at 03:32 PM.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
BeccaPrice
Wizard

To make that work right, I'd have to load all my books on my Kindle and then re-create the collections. I only keep books on my current reading list on my kindle - and my current reading list doesn't include all books I haven't read, just books that have bubbled to the top in the erratic current of my whimsy.

no, i'll put up with things as they stand. If it bothers me too much, I'll create a Genre column, or a Tags2 column for lots of tags.

But thanks for the idea - I didn't know I could do that. I love the Kindle Collections plugin. I'll be sad if Amazon ever stops supporting the non-touch kindles, or moves any new non-touch kindles to the same format as the KTouch, and this plugin won't work anymore. (I'll be sad for other reasons too - try as I might, I just don't like touch screens.)