Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 07:24 AM   #31
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
In this case you should find an Images folder (case sensitive name) and it should appear in the BookBrowser window on the far left size of the screen. All images will be moved to be inside that new Images folder and all of the links to them should be properly updated.
KevinH
What an amazing feature. I can't begin to imagine how you guys write this stuff.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:14 AM   #32
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi Toxaris,

Yes, I could see that. If the images either were not listed in the OPF manifest or the OPF itself were broken (not well formed) or had incorrect or unknown mimetypes and if the file extensions were not recognized, then Sigil would really not know what the hell they were. It might relocate them to Misc then or ignore them. I will have to test that next time I get a chance.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
The only time I saw that happen, was quite a while ago. The images were referenced correctly in the XHTML files, but with a wrong extension in the OPF. I suspect it was a anti-piracy measure. Since Sigil reads the OPF to see which files to read, the images were not loaded. I don't know if this has changed, at least Sigil also some special files in other directories like the META-INF.
Mind you, this was about 2-3 years ago.
Advert
Old 08-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #33
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi Toxaris,

Yes, I could see that. If the images either were not listed in the OPF manifest or the OPF itself were broken (not well formed) or had incorrect or unknown mimetypes and if the file extensions were not recognized, then Sigil would really not know what the hell they were. It might relocate them to Misc then or ignore them. I will have to test that next time I get a chance.

KevinH
Don't worry, I only seen it a couple of times and I quickly found out the issue. I don't recall for sure, but I didn't think the images were transferred to the Misc folder. This was version 0.7.4 or older.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #34
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi LonelyTutor,

Please check your incoming pm for my response. The "epub" you sent was not a real epub. It had no META-INF folder, no container.xml, no Images directory or image files. Something has really messed this "epub" up. Sigil did not create this epub as it always creates the META-INF folder and container.xml file.

It looks almost like you are having disk corruption issues or your temp files are being overwritten by something. Please validate your hard disk drive is in fact not corrupted and since using Mac OSX that you are **not** leaving your epubs open in Sigil over weekends or long enough to automatically have temporary files removed by the OS itself. If you leave temporary files (open epubs in Sigil on MacOSX) too long the Mac OS itself will remove files.

You can prevent this from happening by setting a new home for temporary files when using Sigil (see the Sigil Preferences).

If none of that is the issue, I would need a copy of the epub that was originally loaded into Sigil to see if it was properly formatted or not to know what happened.

Hope this helps,

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyTutor View Post
With the latest version of Sigil on OSX 10.11.5, I ran in a rather peculiar issue: Sigil deleted the contents of my images folder. Anybody else ran into that issue?

Last edited by KevinH; 08-25-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #35
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Seemed to work great on the Linux side of things. Now doing a Windows build to verify (but I suspect it will work fine there, too).

EDIT: does the trick on Windows, too.
Hello, first, thank you all most sincerely for all the hard work you do developping Sigil, I'd be lost without it and I can't tell you how grateful I am.

I am also having a lot of trouble with the css file re-centering itself whenever I edit and it's causing me to make a lot of mistakes editing the wrong line. I wanted to chime in and let you know that there's another person bothered by the problem, in case you're keeping track to decide whether or not to fix it.

DiapDealer, as you have made a windows build which resolves this, is there any chance of a new intermediate release just for that? Or even an unofficial release posted here of that build? I would try to build one myself from the sources but I have no idea how to do that, and when I tried to look into it I found it was a lot more complicated than I hoped and required specific apps which I don't have.

If that's not possible, I'll revert to a previous version of Sigil until a release can be made to fix this. I really prefer to keep up-to-date but it's becoming a real handicap for me.

I also wanted to mention a different issue which I've been having, as far as I can remember it's only been happening since I switched to 0.9.6: the clip editor keeps "losing" my personal clips and reverting back to the default clips.

It seems to happen if I open an epub which was made by someone else or an old epub of my own, made prior to creating some clips (or with a previous version of Sigil, maybe), as if the clips were tied to the epub file rather than to Sigil.

sigil_clips.ini (which does contain all my clips) is saved in
C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil and there are no other copies of that file that I can find.

In general if I close the epub with the missing clips and open a recent one (of mine) they come back, but it can be very tricky to get them to show up on a new file when they have gone missing.

Any ideas what might cause that (and how to fix it)?

Last question. I wanted to donate today but I was not able to. When I go to the donation page (https://sigil-ebook.com/donate/) I get a message "Not available at this time." Is that a bug on my side, or have donations been disactivated?
Advert
Old 10-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #36
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Hopefully they crew has found the reason for the CSS re positioning the insert point LINE when there are line removal.

I see this on W10 x64. Annoying for the reasons you listed
Old 10-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yes, the CSS centering issue has been resolved and the fix will be in the next release. There's not however, going to be an intermediate/unofficial release that fixes only that issue. We are rapidly approaching the time for a 0.9.7 release, though, so hopefully it won't be too long of a wait.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-03-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister L View Post
I also wanted to mention a different issue which I've been having, as far as I can remember it's only been happening since I switched to 0.9.6: the clip editor keeps "losing" my personal clips and reverting back to the default clips.

It seems to happen if I open an epub which was made by someone else or an old epub of my own, made prior to creating some clips (or with a previous version of Sigil, maybe), as if the clips were tied to the epub file rather than to Sigil.

sigil_clips.ini (which does contain all my clips) is saved in
C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil and there are no other copies of that file that I can find.

In general if I close the epub with the missing clips and open a recent one (of mine) they come back, but it can be very tricky to get them to show up on a new file when they have gone missing.

Any ideas what might cause that (and how to fix it)
That's strange. The only explanation I can think of would be that you possibly have a portable version of Sigil installed somewhere else on that machine and the shortcuts and/or Open With context menu are pointed to different executables (which would have different preference directories).

Quote:
Last question. I wanted to donate today but I was not able to. When I go to the donation page (https://sigil-ebook.com/donate/) I get a message "Not available at this time." Is that a bug on my side, or have donations been disactivated?
Neither Kevin or myself want, or are accepting donations for our work on Sigil at this time. We've left the donation infrastructure in place in case someone comes on board who does want to accept donations for their contributions (or in the event that either of us ever changes our minds in the future).
Old 10-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #39
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's strange. The only explanation I can think of would be that you possibly have a portable version of Sigil installed somewhere else on that machine and the shortcuts and/or Open With context menu are pointed to different executables (which would have different preference directories).
A very wild suggestion here. Sigil stores the version in which it was originally created in the OPF. Perhaps, and I know this is very unlikely, if this original version was before the clips that the newer clips don't show? A test might be is saving an old ePUB again and then restart Sigil with that ePUB.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:41 PM   #40
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
This occasionally happens to me when I have two/three different EPUBs open at the same time. I still haven't figured out exact reproducible steps though (which is why I never reported it).

Although in my case, everything returns to normal if I just close out of Sigil and reopen it.

Is your case permanently losing your customized Clips?

Quote:
I do have Sigil 0.8.6 still installed alongside Sigil 0.9.6 (if this might be relevant to this bug).

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 10-03-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #41
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I do have Sigil 0.8.6 still installed alongside Sigil 0.9.6 (if this might be relevant to this bug).
Unless one of them is a portable version (or you set an environment variable to relocate the prefs directory for 0.9.6), they should share the exact same prefs directory. Which means the same sigil_clips.ini.

The only way the default clips should be loaded is if your pre-existing prefs directory cannot be found, or accessed.

How do you typically launch Sigil/open epubs? Do you click a Sigil shortcut and browse for an epub to open? Or do you double-click an epub and rely on file associations to open the file with Sigil? What about calibre's "Open With" plugin?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-03-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #42
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Sony 350
Quote:
Yes, the CSS centering issue has been resolved and the fix will be in the next release. There's not however, going to be an intermediate/unofficial release that fixes only that issue. We are rapidly approaching the time for a 0.9.7 release, though, so hopefully it won't be too long of a wait.
Excellent. Really happy to hear that. I'll wait patiently for the next release then.

Quote:
Neither Kevin or myself want, or are accepting donations for our work on Sigil at this time. We've left the donation infrastructure in place in case someone comes on board who does want to accept donations for their contributions (or in the event that either of us ever changes our minds in the future).
Well, that explains that. I have donated several times in the past but not for a while due to a bit of a dip in ressources, so I was suprised by the error message. I'll just renew my thanks and gratitude here then.

Quote:
Unless one of them is a portable version (or you set an environment variable to relocate the prefs directory for 0.9.6), they should share the exact same prefs directory. Which means the same sigil_clips.ini.

The only way the default clips should be loaded is if your pre-existing prefs directory cannot be found, or accessed.

How do you typically launch Sigil/open epubs? Do you click a Sigil shortcut and browse for an epup to open? Or do you double-click an epub and rely on file associations to open the file with Sigil? What about calibre's "Open With" plugin?
I have a shortcut in my quick-launch bar to lauch Sigil but I rarely/never use it as I've set my file associations to open epubs with Sigil by default. I will investigate whether there are any old versions still installed with different preferences location (I can't imagine why I would have changed that manually though) or some random shortcut somewhere that might be causing havoc. I definitely don't have a portable version installed, and I don't use Calibre's "Open with" plugin (from inside Calibre, clicking on the file in the library view will open the book in Calibre's ebook reader, and clicking on the "open" link in the properties panel will open the book's directory).

Tex2002ans, I do eventually manage to get my clips back, but I have not managed to figure out a sure way to do it (it does usually involved closing Sigil, all instances if there are more than one open, but sometimes opening a recent file will do it), and likewise I have not figured out exactly what causes the problem. Most of the time it seems to depend on whether the file was originally created with the latest version, but earlier today I was working on a new file which had the clips, then I opened an older file next to it to check something and my new file lost the clips (they had been there previously). I frequently have 2 or 3 instances open at the same time though as you mentioned, is it possible that could cause a conflict? It's a real mystery. I'm sort of glad to know I'm not the only one it happens to though.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I guess it's possible that there's a condition where Sigil launches, but the clips ini is unavailable while everything's loading. Possibly some antivirus or antispyware program that's locking the ini file so Sigil can't access it. That's just a guess at the moment. I haven't been able to make it happen myself, yet.

Is your clip collection quite extensive, out of curiosity? Just wondering if it's maybe a size-related thing.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:45 AM   #44
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Both versions are just the normal EXEs that were released whenever, just installed to two different folders:

C:\Program Files\Sigil
C:\Program Files\Sigil096

Also, this problem definitely never occurred when I just had Sigil 0.8.6 installed.

Quote:
How do you typically launch Sigil/open epubs? Do you click a Sigil shortcut and browse for an epub to open? Or do you double-click an epub and rely on file associations to open the file with Sigil?
I have the folder open in Explorer + double-click the EPUBs to open them.

Sigil 0.9.6 is the default program to open EPUBs.

This disappearing Clips problem occurs only when I open the second/third instances of EPUBs in Sigil. (I typically open up a previous EPUB to copy/paste some CSS from it, or see how I coded a certain thing).

I haven't tried opening an instance of Sigil directly... but I might have to try that out and see if I can get the Clips to still disappear.

Quote:
What about calibre's "Open With" plugin?
I installed the plugin. By default, that says it will open up EPUBs using the Sigil 0.8.6 install.

But when I get this error, it is with multiple instances of Sigil 0.9.6 (I don't ever have both versions open at the same time).

Quote:
Is your clip collection quite extensive, out of curiosity? Just wondering if it's maybe a size-related thing.
4.38 KBs.

Quote:
I guess it's possible that there's a condition where Sigil launches, but the clips ini is unavailable while everything's loading.
Hmmm... would Sigil lock itself out of opening the Clips file if it was loading multiple EPUBs at the same time?

I have been working on a few massive EPUBs that take a while to open. Could one instance of Sigil be locking the other one from opening the .ini?

Saved Searches all still seem to be there, and all other preferences seem to carry over fine.* (Although again, I haven't looked super-in-depth when the error occurs).

Quote:
Most of the time it seems to depend on whether the file was originally created with the latest version, but earlier today I was working on a new file which had the clips, then I opened an older file next to it to check something and my new file lost the clips (they had been there previously).
I personally have found no correlation between which version of Sigil/Calibre created the file initially and this bug. It happens in Sigil 0.9.6 with any and all EPUBs (super old, super new, whatever). The only thing is multiple instances being open at once.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:22 AM   #45
Toxaris
Wizard

While reading this thread I remember having this sometimes as well, but only when I have multiple ePUB's open in different Sigil instances. The first instance always have the clips, the subsequent Sigil instances not always (never?). If I close all instances and just open a new/old ePUB, I have the clips again. So, it might be a locking issue.
Closed Thread