Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sigil-0.9.6 Released

This Sigil-0.9.6 release is a mix of bug fixes and new features for both epub2 and epub3 users.

Bug Fixes
  • Make StdWarningDialog resizeable when "Show Details" is used
  • Fix CleanSource svg prefix removal bug that sometimes broke valid svg code
  • Remove svg image and html5 menuitem from the list of void elements in the Sigil and plugin code
  • Properly xml escape "&" in metadata attribute values
  • Properly perform source updates on epub on load even when they do not follow recommended spec
  • Make handling of comments in both xhtml and xml more robust
  • Properly url escape css file names to handle css files with spaces in them
  • Try to make direct editing of content.opf more safe by auto-fixing errors when possible
  • Properly handle WellFormed checks for pure XML in XMLResource.cpp by using embedded python3 lxml
  • Make opf_newparser.py and xmlprocessor.py more robust to broken user input in content.opf
  • Make ProcessXML (repairXML in xmlprocessor.py) - leave untouched anything well-formed
  • Fix thinko in plugin bookcontainer.py and outputcontainer.py contributed by wrCisco
  • Fix for improper encoding in plugins on Mac OS X due to missing inherited plugin environment
  • Fix for typos in epub xmlns when splitting epub3 ebooks in BookView
  • Update testplugin_v012.zip to testplugin_v013.zip to handle sgc-nav.css new feature
  • Fix bugs in DeleteUnusedStyles when selector exists more than once in the same stylesheet
  • Fix bugs in DeleteUnusedStyles when group selectors span more than one line
  • Fix bugs in Reports: CSS Styles missing cases when selector exists more than once
  • Fix bug in Reports: All Files to use Landmark Semantics under epub3 not guide semantics
  • Fix bug, slow in loading ini when too large clipboard history, user can now delete them via dialog
  • Stop cosmetic double-spaces being introduced into OPF manifest, spine and guide entries
  • Prevent bug when user selects too much in BookView and then tries to change case
  • Fix bug in Delete Unused Media when css urls do not use quotes
  • Try to set all ways of updating the ncx to use 2 character indentation of head element
  • Fix Building Relocatable Python on Mac build instructions to remove BeautifulSoup4 requirement
  • Fix for generating empty guide for epub3 when in plugins

New Features
  • created sgc-nav.css stylesheet for nav and allow templates in Prefs Dir for user to control it
  • Added General Setting to allow user to set own temporary directory location
  • Added Qt Stylesheet support - Recognize and load "qt_styles.qss" file if stored in Sigil Preferences folder
  • Extended the plugin interface to add support for epub3 bindings elements
  • Add option + forward delete shortcut to active Metadata Editor remove

Be aware that Sigil-0.9.6 still enforces the need for epub3 to have and support an NCX so that it generates as backward a compatible epub as possible. This may be relaxed in future releases.

Sigil-0.9.6 like its predecessors passed all of the following tests for epub3 support: iframe, img, audio, video , mathml, svg (except for svg support in the spine), javascript, and of course recognizing and allowing html5 specific tags like section, and etc. Sigil-0.9.6 also supports javascript based local-storage and display of embedded pdfs.

Download Location
The official location for downloading this Sigil release (and all official releases) is:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/releases/tag/0.9.6

Downloading binaries from anyplace else is simply not a good idea as they could inject anything into their own downloads. After downloading, please verify the downloaded binary exactly matches what was originally posted by running an SHA 256 checksum on the file **before** installing it. See the file Sigil-0.9.6-CHECKSUMS.sha256.txt for the correct checksums for each file and instructions for how to calculate a SHA 256 Checksum for your download. The Mac OS X Package has also been code signed with my Apple Developer signature.

Linux Users
There are currently no binary releases available for Linux on the Sigil Release page. Please check with your favorite distro's software repositories to see if they have Sigil for installation via your OS's package management system. If not, there are build instructions for compiling Sigil yourself in the source archive's docs directory: https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/tree/master/docs

Don't forget the FlightCrew plugin
Please note, the epub2 validator FlightCrew has been converted to a plugin for Sigil 0.8.900 and later.

This plugin has been updated for Sigil-0.9.3 (and later). It can be downloaded from the official Sigil-Ebook flightcrew repository if you have not already installed it.

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/fligh...ases/tag/0.9.1

Attention Mac OS X Users
Per the recommendation of www.python.org (see https://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/), due to bugs and the age of Apple's internal Tcl library, you should also download and install ActiveState's ActiveTcl Community Edition. To get the latest bug fixes, Sigil-0.9.6's embedded Python has been linked with the very latest version: Tcl 8.6.4.1

We may *not* redistribute this Package with Sigil due to ActiveState's binary non-redistribution policy.

So please, if you have not already done so download and install this version of ActiveState's Active Tcl Community Edition, until we get a chance to do our own build of Tcl 8.6.4.1 from source for future releases. ActiveState is a primary contributor to www.python.org and a respected and trusted source for python and tcl/tk related binaries on both Windows and Mac OS X.

See: http://www.activestate.com/activetcl/downloads
Version: 8.6.4.1

Some Additional things

When you fire up Sigil for the very first time:
  • navigate to the new General Preferences and select the default
    epub version you plan to work with (epub 2 or epub3) so that new
    empty ebooks start with the correct code.
  • if you plan to work with epub3 epubs, you should change your
    PreserveEntities setting to use ONLY NUMERIC entities.
    For example use & # 1 6 0 ; for non-breaking spaces and etc.
  • We strongly recommend enabling Mend On Open in your settings
    for best performance with Sigil
Old 06-19-2016, 07:33 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@OS X El Capitan users: You might want to check out the new custom Temp folder feature, which allows you to select a temp folder other than /temp.

This feature might help you avoid data loss, because OS X El Capitan might delete temporary Sigil files (and other temp files) under certain circumstances. For more information see the Data loss in 0.9.5 on OS X (El Capitan) thread.

You can select a new temp folder via:

Edit > Preferences > General Settings > Set folder where temporary files should be created
Advert
Old 06-20-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
This Sigil-0.9.6 release is a mix of bug fixes and new features for both epub2 and epub3 users.
  • . . .
  • Add option + forward delete shortcut to active Metadata Editor remove
Thanks for the metadata element delete - for those not au fait with 'forward delete', it translates to ctrl+del in Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
  • . . .
  • We strongly recommend enabling Mend On Open in your settings
    for best performance with Sigil
If it is disabled for whatever reason, can I do it manually once I've had a look... and then re-enable it?

Curious - was anything done to improve start times. Seems a significantly faster to load, not that it was slow before. If it was installed on an HDD I would put it down to disk fragmentation, but its on an SSD. I'm opening same epub file as last time from same HDD via windows shell open.

BR
Old 06-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Thanks for the tweak that allows for the user stylesheet. I can now open up sigil with the larger fonts using the "open with" plugin in Calibre. Everything works great.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #5
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I haven't seen anyone else ask about this, so I assume I'm either the only one this is happening to, or else it doesn't bother anyone else: when I edit a CSS file with Sigil 0.9.6, the text now continually adjusts itself so that the cursor location is in the middle of the screen (vertically). This means that every time I make an edit, the text jumps either up or down and makes it difficult to follow. This does not happen in the HTML files, just the CSS. Is there a setting somewhere that will allow me to edit the CSS file without the text moving around on the screen? (This did not happen with earlier versions of Sigil.)
Advert
Old 06-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I haven't seen anyone else ask about this, so I assume I'm either the only one this is happening to, or else it doesn't bother anyone else: when I edit a CSS file with Sigil 0.9.6, the text now continually adjusts itself so that the cursor location is in the middle of the screen (vertically). This means that every time I make an edit, the text jumps either up or down and makes it difficult to follow. This does not happen in the HTML files, just the CSS. Is there a setting somewhere that will allow me to edit the CSS file without the text moving around on the screen? (This did not happen with earlier versions of Sigil.)
Check you Scroll Lock key (I would expect all to be affected, but... it is software)

BTW I just had a Clip that I paste into the CSS misbehave (3 tries). I restarted Sigil and
Software
Old 06-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I'm not seeing that on my windows-10 64bit installation.

Did you manually modify any ini files?
Old 06-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I'm not seeing that on my windows-10 64bit installation.

Did you manually modify any ini files?
W10 X64

I added the QT styles mod file.
It only did it one time so far
Old 06-21-2016, 10:13 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can verify that I've had some similar Code View auto "repositioning" happen at various times, but I haven't had time to track down the details. I believe it was happening to me with 0.9.5, as well. I figured there'd be a lot of screaming by now if the issue was very wide-spread.

I'll see if I can nail down the exact conditions.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #10
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Just checked my Scroll Lock key, and it's off. Toggled it a couple of times, and verified that the auto repositioning happens every time, whether Scroll Lock is on or off (only in the CSS file, though). Haven't edited any .ini files or changed anything else, as far as I know. It started happening immediately after I installed Sigil 0.9.6 on 64-bit Windows 8.1. Thanks for taking a look.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:28 AM   #11
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Please post a copy of the css file you are editing in Sigil and exact step by step things a person needs to do to cause the issue so we can try and track it down.

Thanks,

KevinH
Old 06-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

In my case: it's simply a matter of editing any css file in any epub on Windows Vista (the only O.S. I've tested so far).

As soon as you make an edit (any edit) to the css file, the code repositions itself so the line you just edited is in the center (vertically) of the Code View Tab. No matter where the line was vertically before you altered it, it will end up in the center after.

I currently can't make it NOT happen on that machine.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There has only been one change made over 2 months ago to fix a bug when editing the content.opf file where the position was forgotten when the widget lost focus.

That change is here:

Code:
https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/commit/94a177cac1dc5a5c9562286620b679ff1e28b18f
So please try reverting that change since CSSTab and OPFTab both inherit from TextTab.
If reverting fixes the CSS editing issue, we can move the fix to the OPFTab.cpp and remove it from TextTab to prevent it from impacting CSSTab

Perhaps this is the culprit?

KevinH
Old 06-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'll try that out when I get back home in a few hours.

Thanks Kevin.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:51 AM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Instead please try what I just pushed to master. I am still not sure the save to disk is needed but that bug fix is needed for editing content content.opf.

So I have extended the ScrollToPosition in CodeView to take an extra center_screen parameter that defaults to true, and then change the TextTab code to have it not auto recenter all of the time.

This seems to fix things on my Mac. So hopefully it will fix things for you as well without messing up our content.opf fix.

Hope this does the trick.

KevinH
Closed Thread