Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-20-2020, 02:08 PM   #1
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Cable Question

I just got a Onyx Bookx Nova 2, and was wondering what kind of USB-C cable it uses?

I'd like to leave the original at home, and have a second, shorter cable in my purse, for those times I'm traveling and need to give it a boost.

Will just any USB-C cable do? I'd like it to not only charge, but do data, and I'm way behind cable science or specs.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
I bought a very cheap USB-C cable ( less than 3€ ) and it works splendidly with my Onyx Boox Note Pro. So if the cable claims to be able to transfer data, you're safe.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Hi Duskyrose. I was wondering if you installed any reading apps (Kindle, Kobo, Nook) on your Nova2? If so, how are they running?

I have a Nova 2 on order and looking forward to get my hands on it....
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #4
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
I bought a very cheap USB-C cable ( less than 3€ ) and it works splendidly with my Onyx Boox Note Pro. So if the cable claims to be able to transfer data, you're safe.
Thanks!
Old 07-20-2020, 06:09 PM   #5
DuskyRose
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Hi Duskyrose. I was wondering if you installed any reading apps (Kindle, Kobo, Nook) on your Nova2?

I see that they're ready to download from the apps section, but haven't played with them yet. I like the internal ebook reader for epub, so I'll be playing with that for a while.
Advert
Old 07-22-2020, 08:10 AM   #6
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
It can't be USB-C to USB-C. Has to be USB-A to USB-C (as the supplied cable).
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:07 PM   #7
DuskyRose
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
It can't be USB-C to USB-C. Has to be USB-A to USB-C (as the supplied cable).
Thanks! I'll look into that.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #8
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Hi Duskyrose. I was wondering if you installed any reading apps (Kindle, Kobo, Nook) on your Nova2? If so, how are they running?

Pardon my jumping in regarding your question to Duskyrose. I found the stock reader, NeoReader, to be a big disappointment. While having the ability to annotate and write with the stylus is a very nice feature, it is woefully inadequate for customization of fonts, line spacing and margins. I installed Moon+ Reader Pro which is far superior for customized reading. Apps work well, including Kindle, on the Nova2 but, naturally, not all will perform as well as you might be accustomed to on a tablet.

P.S. Regarding the cable question, there is a handy integrated feature, "Wifi transfer", for transferring files between devices wirelessly.

Last edited by Skydog; 07-23-2020 at 09:12 PM. Reason: P.S.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:36 PM   #9
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Thanks for the feedback Skydog.

I understand you can customize the apps so they perform better, but I'll look into Moon+ Reader Pro once my Nova 2 arrives!
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:31 AM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Skydog.

I understand you can customize the apps so they perform better, but I'll look into Moon+ Reader Pro once my Nova 2 arrives!
Yes, customization of apps is a plus. Overall, the Nova2 is an excellent device. Enjoy!
Old 07-25-2020, 01:14 PM   #11
DuskyRose
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I installed Moon+ Reader Pro which is far superior for customized reading.
Mine has the Moon Reader app, which I don't like, but I'll look into seeing if I can get the Moon+ Reader Pro. I can't connect to the Google Play store, but will see if I can side load it.

I used to like Aldiko on my android devices, but it's been a long while since I had one to test it on. The one that comes in the app store on the device is just a mess. I keep getting adds interrupting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
P.S. Regarding the cable question, there is a handy integrated feature, "Wifi transfer", for transferring files between devices wirelessly.
I've found the wifi, and it loads okay, but it loads into the 'wifi' folder, and I want to go in directly and load books into my own folder. Which is easy to do with the cable I have. I just wanted an extra one for my purse, and one set around 'in case'. I have so many black cables one could easily get lost!
Old 07-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
You cannot buy a USB-C cable just because it is cheap. You have to buy a USB-C cable because it is made according to the specification.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:24 PM   #13
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You cannot buy a USB-C cable just because it is cheap. You have to buy a USB-C cable because it is made according to the specification.
And what in particular would you suggest looking out for?
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #14
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
Mine has the Moon Reader app, which I don't like, but I'll look into seeing if I can get the Moon+ Reader Pro. I can't connect to the Google Play store, but will see if I can side load it.
Google Play is already installed and works just fine on the Nova2. It must be activated first on your device - just follow the setup prompts. Have you done that?

Quote:
I used to like Aldiko on my android devices, but it's been a long while since I had one to test it on. The one that comes in the app store on the device is just a mess. I keep getting adds interrupting.
Ads typically appear on free apps, not purchased apps.

Quote:
I've found the wifi, and it loads okay, but it loads into the 'wifi' folder, and I want to go in directly and load books into my own folder. Which is easy to do with the cable I have. I just wanted an extra one for my purse, and one set around 'in case'. I have so many black cables one could easily get lost!
If you use Calibre, Calibre Companion works well to transfer books wirelessly from Calibre => Nova2 to a user-selected directory.