Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-08-2020, 11:26 AM   #256
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I have maybe 4k books on my 8GB Aura One, and still have more than 5GB free. Extra memory only makes sense for non-book applications, and this is a poor choice of device for those applications anyway.
Depends on the books you are reading. If you are into graphics novels or manga, the space requirements are much higher.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:47 AM   #257
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I have maybe 4k books on my 8GB Aura One, and still have more than 5GB free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
interesting i have 3542 books (all kepubs) on a 32GB external micro SD card taking up 9.37GB.
Huh, you two got me curious. I have 3,701 books on my Clara, all kepub. I have 1.19GB free. I use the Touch Extended driver to upload grayscale covers instead of color.

Weird how a similar number of books take up such different amounts of space.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2020, 12:02 PM   #258
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
On my Clara: 3547 old epubs. 3.0 GB still available.

(It helps save memory space to delete embedded fonts.)
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:02 PM   #259
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Huh, you two got me curious. I have 3,701 books on my Clara, all kepub. I have 1.19GB free. I use the Touch Extended driver to upload grayscale covers instead of color.

Do you have a way to look at the full file system? Specifically the database?
If not, try copying the same ebook files to a PC file system and see how much space they take.

Raw ebook files are usually zipped and a lot of gadgets store content internally in an uncompressed form in their object store. It's to make the system more responsive. Modern ereaders don't necessarily have to do it but every bit helps.
(I'm fairly sure kindles 2's did this.)

Is KEPUB typically bulkier than Adept epub?

Lots of possible explanations with proprietary data stores...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #260
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Depends on the books you are reading. If you are into graphics novels or manga, the space requirements are much higher.
But you also probably aren't buying a 212ppi device in that case, are you?
I'm not saying there is never a need for more space, I'm saying that if you are designing a cheap-as-possible device to compete with the basic Kindle, it is a pointless extra cost to incur.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #261
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

So there's no reason why the Nia may not be priced less then the Kindle Basic.
There's the screen, for starters.

Also, which Kindle Basic are you comparing to?
With special deals, with the deals, or the every other month sales?

Products aren't typically priced *solely* on build cost.
Pricing depends on competition, product positioning, product *line* composition, and marketing strategy. Kindles in particular are priced artificially and aligned in a good-better-best lineup where Paperwhite is the intended baseline with a decent baseline, Basic is meant to be a minimal margin product, and Oasis is premium priced low volume reader.

Pricing Nia under Kindle Basic's highest price is easy, pricing it below the lowest would almost certainly be selling at a loss.

Also bear in mind that a lot of people--the majority, actually--choose a bookstore first and the reader second. That's the whole whole point of walled gardens.

Kobo's aren't aimed at Kindle customers.
Very few people with Kindles are going to abandon their investment in Kindle books to save a few bucks. Instead, Kobo readers are targetted at total newcomers, epub believers, and enthusiasts looking for specific features.

People might buy Kobos for their features but most people buy Kindles for the books. So Amazon gets away with less features and smaller margins because they'll make it up on the books. Again, that's the whole point of walled garden, especially in mature markets like the US and UK.

Think about it: Amazon might make $20-30 on a paperwhite sale.
One time.
They can easily make $3 a month of mire on ebooks, for several years. That adds up.

Other than Canada, Kobo can't count on that.
Everwhere else they have to contend with other epub vendors so the can hope to sell ebooks (revenue they need to share with the Tolino alliance and other local partners) but they're not guaranteed.

In fact, as pointed out here regularly, lots of folks buy their readers from Kobo, Nook, Pocketbook, or whatever, and buy at least some books from Amazon.

Every Kobo reader sale has to justify itself upfront. Just in case.
Kindles don't. The only reason you don't see $10 Kindle Basics is because the trustbusters wouldn't like it.

B&N discovered long ago that competing with Amazon on price doesn't pay. If you have a better screen, charge more. If you have lower volume, charge more. If you have better software features, charge more. And if they advertise a higher *list* price, keep quiet. Because they can always go lower at will.

You do not want another Three Hour Price War.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #262
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But you also probably aren't buying a 212ppi device in that case, are you?
I'm not saying there is never a need for more space, I'm saying that if you are designing a cheap-as-possible device to compete with the basic Kindle, it is a pointless extra cost to incur.
Especially when that 212 dpi screen costs more than the Basic's 167dpi screen.
It doesn't matter exactly what it costs to build the Nia, the Basic will always cost less to build. Trying to undercut Basic is just giving money away.

Basic is what the name says: the cheapest ereader anybody can hope to sell for a reasonable profit. It's the market floor.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #263
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

it's easier than you might think. i have many of the Delphi Classics complete works. for example Mr Charles Dickens is 147MB and Mr Jules Verne is 98MB. just those two kepubs are 245MB. it's the reason why having an external Micro SD card is a must for me.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:10 PM   #264
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Will the Kobo Nia be released tomorrow? Is the "fourth week" the charm? I've seen it or its covers on a few European sites, like these...

https://translate.google.com/transla...search&pto=aue

https://www.fnac.pt/Capa-Sleepcover-...eader/a7864706

Still not back up at Staples.ca, Best Buy.ca or Walmart.ca (though Walmart Canada and Walmart U.S. have the sleep covers listed but not "in stock").

GoodEReader is still taking preorders, though they list the Nia as "available" on July 10th (apparently not).

So not much has changed... I'm guessing maybe tomorrow... maybe...
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:38 PM   #265
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Will the Kobo Nia be released tomorrow? Is the "fourth week" the charm? I've seen it or its covers on a few European sites, like these...

https://translate.google.com/transla...search&pto=aue

https://www.fnac.pt/Capa-Sleepcover-...eader/a7864706

Still not back up at Staples.ca, Best Buy.ca or Walmart.ca (though Walmart Canada and Walmart U.S. have the sleep covers listed but not "in stock").

GoodEReader is still taking preorders, though they list the Nia as "available" on July 10th (apparently not).

So not much has changed... I'm guessing maybe tomorrow... maybe...
I can assure you that it will not launch tomorrow.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:06 PM   #266
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I can assure you that it will not launch tomorrow.
I'm starting to run out of fingers to count on.

My guess is you know when now, but you're sworn to secrecy.

Either that, or you're trying to trick me...

Hmmm.... Dilemma, delimma... do I assume I'm tricked and watch for the Nia release anyhow since this is all I've got to do with my life anyhow?... Or do I just give up altogether?...

Last edited by rcentros; 07-14-2020 at 01:03 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:37 AM   #267
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Especially when that 212 dpi screen costs more than the Basic's 167dpi screen.
It doesn't matter exactly what it costs to build the Nia, the Basic will always cost less to build. Trying to undercut Basic is just giving money away.

Basic is what the name says: the cheapest ereader anybody can hope to sell for a reasonable profit. It's the market floor.
But the memory card in the Nia will cast less then the flash ram in the Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:17 AM   #268
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm starting to run out of fingers to count on.

My guess is you know when now, but you're sworn to secrecy.

Either that, or you're trying to trick me...

Hmmm.... Dilemma, delimma... do I assume I'm tricked and watch for the Nia release anyhow since this is all I've got to do with my life anyhow?... Or do I just give up altogether?...
Remember, Thailand's Mother's Day is not until mid-August.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:13 AM   #269
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But the memory card in the Nia will cast less then the flash ram in the Kindle.
Really?
And where does the flash card get its Flash Ram?
Does it grow on trees?

If anything, Kobo has one more step in its supply chain:

Kobo: Silicon foundry makes the flash chip, sells it to the card maker who wraps it in plastic and metal and sells it to Kobo's ereader assembler. Plus the Kobo main board needs a card socket.

Kindle: Silicon foundry makes the flash chip and sells it to Amazon's ereader assembler who solder it directly on tbe main board.

Using flash cards may allow on-the-fly RAM changes for different markets but it is in no way simpler or cheaper.

Try again.

The Kobo display is more expensive, the storage is more expensive, assembly is more complicated, and the volume of units built is almost certainly lower and thus more expensive per unit.

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-14-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:35 PM   #270
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Really?
And where does the flash card get its Flash Ram?
Does it grow on trees?

If anything, Kobo has one more step in its supply chain:
Really?
Quote:
Kobo: Silicon foundry makes the flash chip, sells it to the card maker who wraps it in plastic and metal and sells it to Kobo's ereader assembler. Plus the Kobo main board needs a card socket.

Kindle: Silicon foundry makes the flash chip and sells it to Amazon's ereader assembler who solder it directly on tbe main board.
Really?
Silicon foundry makes the flash chip and sells it to package manufacturer who wraps it in plastic and metal and sells to Kindle ereader assembler.
And because much smaller quantities are produced, it is much more expensive than the SD solution
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote